Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will Kimble mandolins are....

Default Re: Will Kimble mandolins are....

Anyone play any of the Kimbles at Cotton's.....particularly the two point model j......?
    Thank you baby Jesus for one smokin hot mandolin...

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    I was the first owner of Shaun' A4 a very fine instrument indeed. Very close to the Gilchrist Model 1's and substantially less expensive.

My new Kimble A5 #187 is inspiring me to play in different ways. It's a very intriguing sound...clear not muddy and not overburdened with excessive low end. And my "other" mandolin is no slouch neither yet I've been playing my Kimble almost exclusively since I got it.)
    Hi Perry, I also own a fine Kimble A-style (#159) which really cuts through in a band or jam situation. A mandolin with more low end can sound nice when you are playing alone or in a duo situation but those mandolins usually "disappear" in a jam or band. The lower G-string on my Kimble has, over the last two years, gradually gotten sharper and stronger sounding. My Kimble has gotten stronger, in general, over the first two years of its life. I think it is true that a lot of mandolins that are built to sound loose with a lot of low end when they are new, get "soft" later. I cannot imagine my Kimble ever going "soft."

I've not played a Kimble A4 or Gilchrist A4 but I've heard them played by Shaun and a few other players on You Tube. I'd like to own one someday.

I have also heard the Englemann top/red leaf maple Kimbles and they have a bit different tone than the red spruce/sugar maple combination. To my ears that combination has a bit more low end with a bit less cut and a more complex tone--less dry, I suppose you could say. I think that both wood combinations have their advantages. Then there is the Englemann/sugar maple combination but I have never heard a Kimble with those woods. I suppose there may be some in existence.

Perry, what are the woods used for your Kimble?

Those at Cotten have been there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtwang View Post
    Hi Perry, I also own a fine Kimble A-style (#159) which really cuts through in a band or jam situation. A mandolin with more low end can sound nice when you are playing alone or in a duo situation but those mandolins usually "disappear" in a jam or band. The lower G-string on my Kimble has, over the last two years, gradually gotten sharper and stronger sounding. My Kimble has gotten stronger, in general, over the first two years of its life. I think it is true that a lot of mandolins that are built to sound loose with a lot of low end when they are new, get "soft" later. I cannot imagine my Kimble ever going "soft."

I've not played a Kimble A4 or Gilchrist A4 but I've heard them played by Shaun and a few other players on You Tube. I'd like to own one someday.

I have also heard the Englemann top/red leaf maple Kimbles and they have a bit different tone than the red spruce/sugar maple combination. To my ears that combination has a bit more low end with a bit less cut and a more complex tone--less dry, I suppose you could say. I think that both wood combinations have their advantages. Then there is the Englemann/sugar maple combination but I have never heard a Kimble with those woods. I suppose there may be some in existence.

Perry, what are the woods used for your Kimble?
    Hi

#187 is sugar maple back and sides and red spruce top...I opted for Waverly's on mine. Mine has already changed since June 2011. I look forward to keep breaking it in.

And I agree that sometimes builders go for that deep low end which we often crave as mandolin players but truth be told it doesn't make for a very balanced instrument.

Doesn't Will shoot for Loar like tones? Which I have always thought of as not really bass heavy?

Regarding the Kimble A4 here's a video of when I had it and I think it shows how well it cuts for an oval hole. And I'm glad Shaun is still posting cuts so I can follow it's journey.

Link to video:

http://youtu.be/ZrhLL6SV-Po
    Last edited by Perry; Oct-10-2011 at 4:16pm. Reason: the usual...spelling

I, as the starter of this thread, really had my mind set on a Kimble. I'll still have one one day, probably an A. Why? Because I got a killer '09 Gibson Varnish/Red Spruce Fern! Still, Kimbles were to me the most intriguing in a roomful of great mandos at IBMA.

Roscoe Morgan

www.roscoemorgan.com

I own No.150 - an f holed A. I'd never heard of Kimble mandolins when I bought it. It simply sounded better than the alternatives in the shop (mentioning no names) and was several thousand £ cheaper.

What I don't understand are people who say that they've owned this and that, sold this and wished they hadn't etc. Whatever happened to MAS?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    What I don't understand are people who say that they've owned this and that, sold this and wished they hadn't etc. Whatever happened to MAS?
    It's called catch and release.

Resurrecting an old thread, I jumped on the Kimble ship fairly early in his career with F model #24 (red spruce / big leaf) and two point J #76 (Swiss spruce / red maple). I had to sell the F to help with the cost of my house downpayment. A few years later, I had to sell the J to help cover the cost of a very expensive water line replacement in the same house. Of all the mandolins I have owned over the years, and there have been many, I regret selling these the most and would love to get them back somehow! They were fantastic and if anyone knows of the whereabouts of F #24, I would be most interested in hearing from you! David Grisman is the happy owner of the J model, although I am not sure if he is playing it out, so I can state with certainty that Will is not supplying Dawg with free mandolins!

Sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kimble 24-1.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	83202  

Blog Entries

I know a fella here in Cincinnati who owns several (at least) Kimble mandolins & mandolas -- he won't be parting with any of them either -- they are all killers. They are about as good as anything being made out there these days. I agree the J-model is a beautiful idea.

Sorry to hear you had to give up your Kimbles -- hope you can get that one back some day.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Come to think of it, I believe the guy I sold it to was in Ohio and his name was Pearl Bradley. Ring any bells Daniel?

Pearl posts and sells here often.

Thanks Shaun, hopefully he will read this and get in touch!

Incredible, I have not played anything that compares to it. It’s been over 2 years and my Kimble keeps getting better.
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

...perfect. I've only had my new A (#266) for a couple months, but it has far surpassed even my admittedly high (and probably unfair) expectations.

I'll note that it was one of Will's mandolins in the hands of Andrew Marlin that inspired this guitar/bass player to pick up the mandolin in the first place a few years ago.

Thanks again to both those guys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1842 (2).JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	180955

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I played a Kimble back in the mid 00s at IMBA and it was absolutely awesome. It still sticks out in my mind as one of thee best mandolins I've ever played.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

They're something anyone looking for a great mandolin should try if at all possible, or just have Will build you one.

Give a listen to the Kimbles the Town Mountain mandolin player has, wicked good. Great band too.

18. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

I’ve had F5 #153 for 4 years now. It’s the perfect adi-topped foil to my Englemann Heiden. Aside from a vintage Fern or Loar, I don’t lust after ff hole mandolins much these days.

20. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Phil Barker plays one of Wills first builds. I agree, Town Mountain is a great band.

Will is one of those musician/luthiers who works really, really hard at building the best-sounding mandolins he can while keeping the price affordable to working musicians. I've owned two, and my A model #236 stands up even to the two Nuggets I've owned. And he's handy with restoring old cars, too!

Quote Originally Posted by erick View Post
    among the finest new instruments being made today, And I wouldn't be selling mine were it not for a recent Gilchrist purchase, along with a slightly annoyed spouse. See it in the classifieds!

Eric Kilburn
    Guess this answers the why would you sell question.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I can’t believe this is the first time seeing this thread. On Tuesday it will be 5 years that #168 showed up at my door. It’s a 2009 A0 oval hole that has been my only mandolin since I received it. It arrived in mint condition with zero fret wear. This summer I had Michael Heiden replace the frets with EVO Gold frets and let him do his magic on the setup. I thought it played well before taking it to Michael, but when I picked it up I was surprised how much easier it played.

I’ve played a lot of great mandolins, but I won’t trade or sell this one. One day down the road I’d like to get an A style with F holes, and Will Kimble is at the top of the list along with Michael Heiden.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E21E5DE-2C15-4DDF-99C0-FBB88C4701FA.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	180977
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Will is definitely on the top of his game. I own #246 A from 2017 and its an incredible instrument...it gets better with every play (unlike its owner) Stacks up against anything way beyond its price point too.

Kevin Winn that is a beautiful mandolin, thanks for posting a picture.

27. The following members say thank you to AMandolin for this post:

. . . keepers.