Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buzz Busby

Default Re: Buzz Busby

Any other recommendations? I particularly like his sessions with Scotty Stoneman and Bill Emerson.

Blog Entries

Wasn't Buzz an FBI agent once upon a time?

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Wasn't Buzz an FBI agent once upon a time?
    “Wha?”
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    “Wha?”
    Yes I knew this for years but I was informed by Willie Poole he just did fingerprinting so I don't know if that's considered an agent? But still FBI! Strange but true! Considering his vices but we all have em!

Now, that’s not normally what I think of as a “straight” job for a musician!

“That’s ink on my hands and I never get it off lord,lord.
    That’s ink on my hands and I never get it off.
    No matter how I try to get it clean, once that stuff is dry
    You sure can’t get it off.”

Or something like that.
    Thanks William, I never knew that!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

6. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Blog Entries

Buzz was a one of a kind player, its fair to say guys like him and Scotty Stoneman and Clarence etc.. were true innovators. Scotty was brilliant also but had his drinking demons from starting drinking very early while in the clubs with his family band ! I guess you have them/a serious problem if your willing to drink aftershave and well thus ended Scotty! "That's the story I've heard" If you look back even at the Country and Rock guitar slingers and singers many didn't make it out of the early 70's, Too many to list, either by accident or their own hand! Buzz died in the 90's I think from complications with diabetes "I think" No one can tremolo like Buzz that I've ever heard! I would love to hear him and Scotty Stoneman do Listen to the mockingbird! Maybe Clarence backing them up! Just a thought anyway! We all have ideas of mystical super groups? I still think of things like that, players from the past that would sound great together-throw a bit of Ed Ferris on bass! I heard Ed was a genuine great person and he played with my Gramps and Uncles Gene and Dick Smith, On youtube there is some live Cliff Waldron and the New Shades of Grass audio stuff from 1972 at Bean Blossom with Ed on bass and Uncle Gene Johnson on his Feb. 18th 24 Loar and it is some great stuff! Gene sings a tune they recorded on record that my Gramps wrote "By the River" Great stuff, you mando aficionados should give it a listen as Waldron never had a player like Gene! Gene was/still is a monster player but that early stuff has it going on, I'm waiting for anyone to release a live CD from when Gene was a member of JD Crowe's New South with Keith Whitley, Gene played with them for the fest season in 79-80 and I think it was JD's best stuff? I know I'm partial but what mandolin work! I would love if the audio was available from the early 70's when Gene was with Eddie Adcock in the II Generation and John Duffey joined them on stage, there is a photo somewhere of Gene and John playing together on stage. I heard a story that Duffey was kinda funning with Gene maybe making sport of him till Gene played his break and John got a bit wide eyed and gained some serious respect for Gene's playing! No more jokes on the skinny geeky young guy from Sugar Grove, PA! I heard this from an old timer I knew in the mid 90's while talking Bluegrass. I'll have to ask my Uncles and get back to ya'll about any Busby stories? I'm sure there are a few!

Here's the BU cover I ran across that relates to this. I didn't see any date for the mandolin. Perhaps a mandolin detective can narrow it down better?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Busby.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	175792

Blog Entries

Looks to be a 1950's Gibson A-50.