Thread: Walkin' the Dog

Default Walkin' the Dog

I'm looking for tab for "Walkin' the Dog" and sure can't find it. A J Lee, referred to today on our site, does a fine version available on youtube.

I can only find that other one, the great Rufus Thomas's "Walk the Dog"...can someone "show [me] how to do it"?

Thx,

Bill

Default Re: Walkin' the Dog

Just found the McCoury's playing it on youtube, so I'll work on it from there. Shouldn't take me but about 50 years...

THAT's a fun song with an infectious swing!
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

I'd love to hear that! I'm only familiar with the version by the Stones!

I was referring to the Webb Pierce version when I started this thread, but y'all 've convinced me to go for Rufus's version. Unfortunately, I guess he wasn't recorded when he was young [?], but amazingly, instead of having to watch him in his older age on youtoob (no disrespect to this legend, of course), people have been thoughtful enough to record the record, so I can still watch the scratchy 45 go round and round like when I was a teenager, and if I get close enough to the screen, and if I've imbibed enough, like tonight, then the time machine takes me back to watching my own yellow-labeled 45. Here's the link to that recording on Stax. Has Sam Bush done this yet? I can see it...maybe this sacrilege should be moved to the Blues thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R25nb...eature=related

Are they not two different songs?

Two different songs, I believe that Pierce's song is "I'm Walking the Dog".

Webb`s version Of Walking The Dog is so simple that you shouldn`t need any tabs....

Willie

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

I've always wondered, what exactly are people looking for when they ask for tab to a song, without even giving the key?

Lol. Why, a silver bullet, of course.

The Walkin' The Dog I know is the one Charles Sawtelle would sing solo during the Hot Rize days.

Webb Pierce, Bill Monroe, Del McCoury, and Hot Rize all have recorded nice versions of the song titled "Walkin' the Dog" or "I'm Walkin' the Dog" that I believe was written by Cliff and Tex Grimsley. There are at least a couple other songs by that same title. It is indeed a swingin' tune!
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

I've always wondered, what exactly are people looking for when they ask for tab to a song, without even giving the key?
    I have always suspected that when people ask for tab to a song, they are looking for tab to a song. Not sure where the wonderment comes from. I don't think he was asking anyone to tab it out for him. Absent a request for a specific key, I'm guessing he would be happy to get it in whatever key someone might already have it in.
    Bobby Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    Once you learn to play a song in one key it is no big deal to play it in another is it?
    Bill Snyder

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobby bill View Post
    I have always suspected that when people ask for tab to a song, they are looking for tab to a song. Not sure where the wonderment comes from. I don't think he was asking anyone to tab it out for him. Absent a request for a specific key, I'm guessing he would be happy to get it in whatever key someone might already have it in.
    And the singer would be just as happy? And, really, what does the OP want? A tab for the straight unadorned melody or an approximation of someone's vocal (which really no one would want to play)? Or an instrumental paraphrase of the melody?
    Or a take-off solo like that of Ronnie McCoury (very idiomatically in the key of C).

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Once you learn to play a song in one key it is no big deal to play it in another is it?
    That would depend on your degree of tab dependence. If you have the ear and knowledge to transpose do you then need tab at all?

Also, at least BG players tend to utilize devices proper to this or that key, e.g., in D they might gliss into open notes (a or d) on a lower course - how do you transpose that to, e.g., B? Capo at the ninth fret?