Thread: Everett Kettler Mandolin

Default Everett Kettler Mandolin

I purchased a Kettler mandolin in the mid 80's from Elderly and I prefer it over the mandolins I have as it has such a great tone. Does anyone know where Everett is located and if he is still building Mandolins.

Default Re: Everett Kettler Mandolin

sorry, meant to put this in builders category! don't know how to delete this thread.

Blog Entries
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by coconutradio View Post
    sorry, meant to put this in builders category! don't know how to delete this thread.
    It would actually fit the Looking for Information section best. The Builders section is more about building and repairing than finding builders.
    Bill Snyder

heh folks,

saw this thread on kettler mandolins and thought i would put in 2 cents.

i am the builder of kettler mandolins. all the info about my instruments seems to be accurate. my son jedd's comments as well on one of the links.

it has, of course, been a pleasure to be in touch with individuals that have one of my mandolins. (unless they are grumpy-actually never happened). before the internet i would get a letter or a phone call every now and then. was enjoyable to hear of what one of my creations was doing and where.

i tried to make them well and tuning the back and tops was certainly a trip. i think that process really helped the sound of them.

the necks are all reinforced with carbon fiber rod glued with epoxy. to my knowledge that solution has worked very well over the many years.

i got to the point that i tried to only retail the instruments and somehow at that time interest waned so i went into building and repairing horse drawn vehicles. (i had been racing and training horses for a while). i also recall that often i would try to go to sleep and see curly maple when i shut my eyes. the whole process was very intense for me and i couldnt seem to just build one after another for months on end. had to do other more physical things.

at times think i should have continued building, but the energy that got me into it lead me different directions. perhaps will give it a try again just to see what happens.

i am currently living in the champlain islands of vt-near the canadian border. and my son jedd and i have just launched a 38 ft sailboat that has taken 3 years to build up to this point. and will take at least one more.

so this is my story and im stickin to it.

i

7. The following members say thank you to kettler for this post:

Mr. Kettler,
    Thanks so much for telling your story here on the Cafe'. I have played a friend's Kettler and was so taken with it. Most folks that own Kettler's view them as keepers, I know my friend does. You really did capture the tone and volume well.
    Best,
    Jim
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

However many were made, it's a rare bird. I've only seen one and that was at a 1994 Butch Baldassari 3-day mando workshop in Nashville. Bill Monroe showed up and spent the afternoon.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

ever since I took lessons with Orrin Star, Boston, 1987, I've wanted a Kettler. That's what he played and it trumped my then Aria Pro II (the Aria was a nice mandolin though). Missed one on eBay once - an a-model, which is what I'd prefer anyhow.

Oh well, I have no shortage of mandolins, but one day if the right Kettler comes my way, I'd buy it in an instant!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

For those interested, it looks like a 1989 Everett Kettler Model TF-2 (A-style) is available here. (no financial interest on my part).
    It's cool that the listing mentions the Cafe as a source for finding info about these mandolins.
    This one sure is a nice looking instrument...

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Hi,
    That is my Kettler and it is for sale with complete description and pictures at my website www.vintageinstruments.com and it is indeed a hoss. Distinctive tone and plenty of volume. I'll extend a 10% discount to any Mando Cafe - ists who want to buy it.
    Lowell Levinger
    Players Vintage Instruments

I am always amazed at how small Mr. Kettler's F holes are on his mandolins. That feature certainly supports the bass response very well unlike so many of the mid range heavy instruments out there. I wish Mr. Kettler would rekindle his mandolin building career but understand why if he didn't do so. I once owned an all blond, birdseye maple Kettler F-5 mandolin and to this day curse the economic circumstances that forced me to sell it for the $$$.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Mr. Kettler I wish you would give mandolin building another shot. I'd certainly buy one. I bought my first Kettler F model in 1982 and I loved it.
    I pretty much stopped playing in the early 90's and sold it cause I needed the money. I bought the exact same model, 2 serial number digits from my first one, from a fellow in North Carolina. I got it for a very good price. When it arrived, it was in pristine condition, not a scratch on it. Awesome mandolin.
    In 2009, my ex wife went nuts and messed with it. She put a couple small cracks in the top plate near each sound hole but it still is a killer. I will be celebrating my Kettler mandolins' 30 birthday on April 22 this year. Everyone who has played it, pro or amateur, has just loved it and I've had many offers from people to buy it. I'm sticking with it...it's my keeper! Thank you for making such a wonderful instrument.

I recently picked up a 1984 Kettler F5 and can’t put it down. I have had a Gibson Adam Steffey, Northfield Big Mon and this Kettler is a hoss and plays so easy. It is really used from obviously years of hard playing. I have heard a rumor Everett may start building mandolins again, if anyone knows, please let me know. I’ll try to post pics once I figure out how.

Here's one currently on Ebay, looks perfect:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12557684790...Bk9SR46zxMeKYQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kettler mandolin.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	508.9 KB 
ID:	204113  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

If this is anything like the one that I recently purchased, it is or will be a Hoss.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kettler F5.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	204147