Thread: Pick Comparison

Default Pick Comparison

Sorry for the sloppy playing, but I wanted to get a comparison video together to let you hear the differences between some of the popular picks around here. The mandolin is my famous Fullerton Gloucester with about two-month-old GHS Silk & Bronze strings on it.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Default Re: Pick Comparison

Nice playing Jim - & what subtle differences in tone from the picks.Personally,for me,on your Mandolin,the way you play,i preferred the tone from the Pro-plec & the Dunlop 'Ultex' picks.Both those picks took the sharp edges off the treble strings,making the tones across the strings more even. But watch the buckle on that strap of yours !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Nice comparison Jim. That's the first time I have had a chance to hear a Fullerton. I've heard a lot about them and it sounds real nice. I am currently using a Blue Chip XR60, which is wore rounded than the triangular and gives me the tone I like. I always liked the tone produced by the ProPlec but I use flatwound strings and the combination of soft tone from the ProPlec and the lighter volume form the flatwound strings meant I couldn't be heard over the rest of the band. I had used the Ultex at one point and liked the initial sound it produced, but after a while it would form rough edges on the edge and start sounding scratchy, so I stopped using those. As far as the V-Picks are concerned, I have never liked them. Way too bright in tone and the edged of every one I have tried have inconsistent finishing, including the JazzMando version. I was willing to try the JM version but I didn't find it to be any different. Not only was the edge scratchy, but the picks weren't even flat. I put it on a table and I could rock it back and forth. I sticking with the Blue Chip. The shaping and finishing of these picks is absolutely flawless. It's always nice to hear these comparisons though.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Nice video and nice picking Jim. Your Fullerton sounds better than the one I used to own.
    Miss you're picking from the jam days.
    Jim
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Jim, you are too kind. I do like the Fullerton, though. I truly haven't had MAS since I got it. Except for a cheap oval hole to mess around on. I hope we get another chance to jam together before we are called to the big jam in the sky. I have definite opinions on which pick sounds best to me and which sounded best on the video, and they aren't the same. But I wanted to give folks a chance to post comments without any influence from me.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me