Default Dempsey Youngs Hutto

What ever happened to Dempsey Youngs Hutto

Default Re: Dempsey Youngs Hutto

It's buried in Grant's Tomb.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

I believe it was offered for sale on here in the classifieds but some people thought it was just a feeler to see if the person selling it could find out how much it was worth...I never have heard about anyone buying it though...I sure would like to have it myself....

Was it priced at $90,000 ? A bit much for a $10,000 F5 copy. At 90K you can your pick of the 20's Ferns out there.

I sure would like to hear what that Hutto sounds like with someone other than Dempsey. The only mandolins that I ever heard that sounded better (to me) were 2 of Herschel's Loars that were consecutive numbers. Dempsey's Hutto had that big, deep sound that I love...........similar to my Buckeye.

I know the Gibs from the 20's are more valuable on the market, but, if it were just about sound and playability.........assuming it plays good,...........if money were no object, I would $90K and take Dempsey's Hutto, and practice Goofus and The Alley Cat Song.

Bob
    re simmers

I think I saw it for sale by his wife on the internet a little while back for 45,000.00
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

thats a pretty good return for his invesment. If i remember correctly he told me during a break at mineral springs music barn that he gave around 750 dollars for it that would have been late 70s.I dont think i have ever heard a better on. but i have never heard a bad Hutto Darrell Webbs is a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Was it priced at $90,000 ? A bit much for a $10,000 F5 copy. At 90K you can your pick of the 20's Ferns out there.
    Just my opinion but I think that Hutto was better than most any Gibson I have ever heard. Maybe it was because it was in Dempsey's hands (after all, he got much the same sound out of his Dearstone), but that was the richest sounding mandolin I ever heard. If I was buying with investment in mind, I'd go with the Ferns, but if I was buying based solely on sound, I'd go with Hutto.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Great mandolin. Played it on the bus once or twice. And he played mine on-stage once. I miss that guy.

I may be wrong, but i want to say it was for sale at Smokey Mountain Guitars for something like 25k. I can't remember off the top of my head the story behind it, I do remember hearing Dempsey's name being mentioned as the salesman handed it to me. I remember it played nice and had a nice tone, but it wasn't my favorite mandolin there. Maybe it was the price tag that made it a little easy to put down.

Here is the one they had, I just found this pic.

P.S. This was about a year ago.
    Last edited by Bigtuna; Sep-11-2011 at 8:31am. Reason: added pic
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

it sold earlier this year to a private buyer ,he may chime in on this thread,he may want to remain private.
    Danny Clark

He had 2 Hutto mandolins. That one above is not what we're talking about, here:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dempsey_young.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	76102  

Is that mandolin above even made by Hutto? All of the Hutto mandolins I have seen (probably about 4) had "The Hutto" on the headstock.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

the one at smoky mountain guitars i believe was Huttos personal mandolin. Ive seen several with The Gibson on the Peghed I saw one at mabe the banjo peddler that had someting else. If someone can post a picture of Darrell Webbs i think it just has a small Hutto

You can see a pretty good shot of Dempsey's Hutto here--it had The Gibson on the headstock:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamiewiens/3456176587/
    Russ Jordan

Blog Entries

I saw Lost & Found about a year ago, and there was a young fellow by the name of Scott Napier playing with 'em. He was playing a Hutto, and not only did the mandolin sound a lot like Dempsey's, Scotty's playing also emulated Dempsey's style.

Scott was the logical choice for the mandolin chair in that band. Having gotten his pro start with Sparks at age 16, he has blossomed into an all-around great player. He has his own style, and pays homage to the master when the L&F performs some of their signature tunes. Pick up his solo CD if you get a chance, has some good playing and composing.

I was doing the door at last year's Burlington festival, the L&F was on the bill. As I was sitting there checking wrist bands, with mandolin out and noodling, he came over and we did the Dempsey. A small crowd formed as we ran through Goofus, Dem Golden Slippers, etc. We tried to out-D each other...I think he won

" You can see a pretty good shot of Dempsey's Hutto here--it had The Gibson on the headstock:"

Dempsey played an actual Gibson before he had his Hutto, if I'm not mistaken. I think his best sound was from his Hutto. I first saw him perform after he started playing the Dearstone. It sounded great in his hands, but I would have loved to see him playing the Hutto. I did see Darrell Webb play his Hutto when he was with J. D. Crowe. It sounded unbelievable as well.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

I also saw dempsey play guitar banjo and fiddle he could go pretty good on all of them.

Dempsey Young's mandolin sound developed my taste for some extra oomph under the bite in a good f hole mandolin. More important, I have always deeply admired the creativity and fun he put in his playing. I'd be curious to play a few Huttos to hear and feel how much of Dempsey's sound can be attributed to his mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    Dempsey Young's mandolin sound developed my taste for some extra oomph under the bite in a good f hole mandolin. More important, I have always deeply admired the creativity and fun he put in his playing. I'd be curious to play a few Huttos to hear and feel how much of Dempsey's sound can be attributed to his mandolin.
    Dempsey influenced my playing greatly and I would have to say that "creativity" and "fun" are the best way to describe his playing. When I saw him live I spent most of the night smiling. I have a fine recording of that night's performance with L&F and I listen to it often and have attempted to learn much of what he played. I still use some of his licks from time to time. I would venture to say that his technique was responsible for much of his tone. I have heard many Dearstone mandolins and, while they are fine mandolins, none of them had the punchy, low end warmth that I heard from Dempsey's.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

never heard a average player play one everyone that i heard play a Hutto was a superior player Demsey Young,Scott Napier, Darrell Webb and a few more.I remember a quote by Curtis McPeak about players being able to pull tone. Certainly all of these can do that. but i guess thy could have played most any mandolin they wanted. but they chose a Hutto. I think even when Dempsey had the Dearstone he still Played the Hutto More

And to understand his technique a bit better, try to find his instructional video he put out in the mid 80's. You see it (and The Hutto) up close and personal, like his special way of sliding into chord voicings. Nobody does it like he did.

Its good to see Dempsey getting talked up here. One of my favs....hell of a nice guy as well.

I have a .wmv file of that video and, while the resolution is fairly low, I thought that was the Gibson he was playing.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5