Thread: Scales, Arpeggios, Practice up the neck - Query

Default Scales, Arpeggios, Practice up the neck - Query

Folks - Does anyone know of good you tube or downloadable lessons that teach scales up the neck, arpeggios and the like? I've hunted around and not found anything *just right*. Most of the you tube vids have players and instructors that are playing WAY, WAY too fast, or are poorly done and you can't see their right hand. I've looked for video software that could play you tube in slo-mo, but no luck there either.

I know I could figure it out - I am looking for where one would transition between strings and where one would cross - over..... All tips are appreciated. If this is something that has been asked here and I am repeating, my apologies - I've searched and looked at a number of links, but still haven't found what I'm looking for.

TIA,

John Moorhead

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

Default Re: Scales, Arpeggios, Practice up the neck - Query

John,

Take a look at Ted Eshliman's FFCP. You can download most of it or buy the book. Don't worry about the jazz stuff it's good for all genres.
    Last edited by Mandophyte; Sep-10-2011 at 6:43am. Reason: Minor edit.
    John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010

Blog Entries

I second the suggestion of the Jazzmando stuff. Whatever you play, there's great exercises there.

Hi

For me the videos of Norberto Gonçalves da Cruz were very interesting and gave me good ideas for transitions between strings and much more. Some clips show even written samples on sheet music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dotZ8...eature=related

close up @ 5:07

He does not only play slow though and one has to reed the english subtitles if not familiar with portugese (but the language sounds like music to my ears).

roady43

Blog Entries

A starting place is to play a C arpeggio, 5 on the G string, two on the D string, 5 on the D string, and 3 on the A string. A closed position arpeggio. Now move that up the neck. What ever note you hit on the G string, that is what arpeggio you are playing.

Then move it up a string. In first position that is a G arpeggio, starting on the D string. Then go up the neck with it.

And so on.

Thats a start.

I have heard great things about FFcP and would recommend it. If that had been around back in the day, it would have saved me a ton of frustration.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Moorhead View Post
    I know I could figure it out - I am looking for where one would transition between strings and where one would cross - over..... All tips are appreciated.
    Well I generally cross over when I have run out of fingers. So lets say I start in third position (index finger on the fifth fret). I play a scale up from there, two frets per finger, and use up all my fingers on the fourth note. So I go up a string. That, minus all the cussing and swearing, is how I figured out something like FFcP for myself.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....