Thread: Well at least the guy's honest about it...

Default Well at least the guy's honest about it...

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/msg/2588062805.html

F5 Gibson Mandolin Clone - $850 he says...
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Future Mandolinist

Default Re: Well at least the guy's honest about it...

I feel like maybe he should figure out a way to mark it "Copy" or "Clone" on the Gibson label. On another note, I'm pretty surprised they went to the trouble to stamp the number in the headstock and all. I'd love to see pics, what if it is a real Gibson?

It would be nice if there were photos. Maybe it's a hand built clone and possibly a nice mandolin in it's own right or maybe it is a Gibson after all. I am so used to listings where people profess to have figured it all out and are in fact way off the mark. With photos this thing would be dissected by people on MC who would probably nail it. What if it's a Sargent or something?

I don't think it's wrong if he is completely upfront about it. The crime is in selling a counterfeit.

Lotsa Gibson copies out there; banjos are even worse, since you get all these "mongrels" with part-Gibson, part-non-Gibson components. I think the seller's being refreshingly honest: he's got a good-quality Japanese mandolin that's been altered to look like a Gibson. Rare that someone would go to all the trouble of phonying up the label -- usually the "forger" would re-do the headstock and fingerboard, but not scare up a '70's label.

Someone will get a decent instrument, and an excellent conversation piece, for that price.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Why would people go through that trouble?

In my pre-Bluegrasser days I was a Beatles Head and had the same situations with Hofner basses. Whenever people saw my 1961 Hofner they'd ask, "Is that a real Hofner?" The reason being ... all the fake Hofners on the market.

I can spot a fake Hofner in 2 seconds flat, even the copies with real Hofner gear installed to fool people. I can even tell by the weight and the feel of the instrument ... blindfolded ... really!!!

People would rather spend $300 on a Hofner copy and then spend $200 on Hofner parts and paint and do the whole thing for $500 instead of spending $3500 on the real deal.

My workhorse mandolin is my Rattlesnake which was made from blueprints that were made from a Gibson F-5 Loar (#75941). But I wouldn't try to alter it to fool anybody. It's got a great sound and feel and stands on it's own merits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user17513_pic4619_1262557372.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	76048