Thread: Yikes!  I really goofed up my F9's finish!

I don't know why I'm sharing this with you folks, but I really pulled a numb-skull move on my F9. I guess I'm asking for advice.

I'm still in the first year of ownership and was really enjoying this mandolin. I've been playing a lot, going to jams, taking lessons, playing in a little trio, too much fun!!!

I got a little out of control one night with my band and put some pick scratches into the top. Fortunately just through the clear, not into the stain. In other words, there was no raw wood showing.

I first thought, oh well, its going to happen sooner or later. I'll play it, its going to take a knock or two. I have it to play! I'll just have to be more careful.

A bit later I decided I'd polish the scratches out.

It was actually going quite well. . ... UNTIL.. .

I over buffed a little square 1/4in area through the clear, the stain, and to the wood. YIKES!

I have a small bald square 1/4 inch area near the bind on the top, below the fretboard.

The instrument still sounds fine, of course. However it does bug me that I've got this big scar in the top of it.

Am I looking at a sky high finish repair bill.

Also do you folks think this can be made to look nice and smooth again?

I wrote Gibson an email. I thought I'd check to see if their repair shop would take on something like that and what it would cost.

I see a lot fo expertise around this forum and have hopes y'all can give me an idea of what I'm facing.

I just did this a little while ago and although its embarassing, for some reason I have to share it with ya.

thanks,
    Dan
    2003 Gibson A5L

2012 Gibson Custom Advanced Jumbo
    2005 Gibson 'True Vintage' Original Jumbo

1920 Bacon Open Back

Maybe just use a little dye, and get some color back... then french polish over it.. but..

Man, these things are played by humans... let's leave the evidence! I have so many little finish repairs in the last week, I think I am going to offer condolences, and 10% off on a shrink to the next 10 that walk in.

Bill Monroe used to dig in on purpose..

M
    I wish I had a dime for every penny I ever had.

http://www.randywoodguitars.com

Thanks for the "helpful" advice

I'm far from Bill Monroe. (Wasn't he sponsored?)

This is probably the ONLY mandolin I'll ever own. I made a healthy investment.

Believe me I play my stuff but that doesn't mean it has to get beat up and I screwed this one up messing with it. I don't display my stuff on stands or anything, I play them every day and don't try to baby them when I'm making music!

Its definetely a players mandolin, but this is something I don't want to live with.

Does anyone have any useful suggestions.

regards,
    Dan
    2003 Gibson A5L

1920 Bacon Open Back

Dan (I'm guessing your name is Dan Atkins),you've got one of those "little/big" problems,diminutive in size,but large in perception. If you want to repair it,you will have to determine what is left in the light spot. If it is raw wood,one problem. If it is colorless,but still imbued with some lacquer or other sealant,it is another. The latter would be my guess. Does the light spot retain any sheen when held in the right light? That would be a clue. If it is raw wood,you should shoot a little sealing lacquer on it before you attempt to recolor. After that,it is a matter of experimenting with dye mixtures on similarly sealed spruce until you find what appears to be a matching color. Even then,don't decide until you hit it with some clear. If you find something close enough,apply it to the light area preferably with an air brush or something similar if using a solvent based color,or feathered in if a water based color. On top of that,a few light coats of clear,a ten day
    hang,and a careful polish. If all this seems a bit much,take it to somebody who has the experience to work with it. Good luck. I know how frustrating all this can be.
    Jim

Dan- I have to agree with the idea that these things happen. If you aren't experienced at this type of thing, wood finishing, your attempts to fix it could actually make it worse and a larger area would be messed up. I guess I'd have two suggestions:
    1. Take it to someone professional.
    2. Based on where I think the area is, think: Pickguard. That will cover it up and prevent it from happening again.

Whatever you do, try not to let it disturb your playing.

Hey Dan...If you e-mail me at jvest@gibson.com I will respond to you next Monday.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Yes, my name is Dan Atkins.

grow, thanks for the suggestions, but I've done enough to this mandolin. It doesn't need me to do anything further to it. I appreciate the information.

Dale, I have a nice pickguard. I was just about to add it, right before I did this. Once I get this repaired, the pickguard is going on! Thanks..... I'm going to find a professional to do it. Hopefully Gibson! I've already looked at the two Gibson authorized repair places near me. I've already ruled them out as an option. I'm hoping I can ship to back to Gibson, we'll see.

Big Joe, I'll email you and await yor repsonse. Thanks!

regards,
    Dan
    2003 Gibson A5L

1920 Bacon Open Back

No, Bill Monroe was not sponsored, and I just described to you exactly how I'd fix it.

Oh well.

M

hey man, it gives it character......my MK got alot of new character yesterday at the shop.

Joe, are you still on vacation? We have been awaiting your visit...

where's the beef?

Miles

I've done this too. Just get some stain and blend until you match the color. Take a Q-Tip a dip in stain, tap off excess and rub into the bare area, After it is blended in well, take your lacquer or Shallac if that is what your finish is, and scoop a little up on a tooth pick or whatever works and drop lacquer onto the spot. let dry. Keep adding lacquer or shallac, and dry, until the finish is dry and a little higher than the original finish.Let dry several days, then carefully sand flat with micro mesh sandpaper. start with 1500 grit or so and work your way up to 6-8- even 12000 grit. By the time you get to 12000 it will be flush and shiny, then polish out with McGuires #10 or something similar, and it should look like new.
    This is just the way I have done it, it may not be the best way it is just the only way I know how.
    It sounds easy and sometimes it is. I have had other experences where I start to fix a little tiny flaw and the next thing I know I have bigger flaw, try to fix it and it gets worse, and then I wish I never messed with it to begin with. Other times it just goes perfect and is a cinch. If a flaw bugs me, even if it is tiny, I have to get rid of it, I get tired of looking at it and wondering if I can make it go away. Most of the time, it goes nice and easy and I have no problems and I am always glad I took the time to fix it. I if I make a bigger mess out of it, I still take the time to fix it. Hope this helps Good Luck.....JD
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

you should post a pic of the offensive bare wood spot......I have had a couple of attempts(pros) at top repair on guitars and always regret it.....I personally have a huge 1 inch by 1/2 inch spot that Ive rubbed right through the finish of my Flatiron F, by draggin my pinky right where a pick guard would be, and it worried me a bit, till I just realized Im never gonna sell it, so now I just show proudly that this baby is played regularly........and a pick guard just gets in my way, so Ive learned to love my mando just the way it is and hope that the finish doesnt end up flaking of once I get deeper into the wood

If you wanna sell it, gimme a call .. I'll give you 200 bucks for it.
    Chris

gdae85 ,

You're a funny guy. Thanks for that clever resonse.

regards,
    Dan
    2003 Gibson A5L

1920 Bacon Open Back

sorry ... I tried to find the comic side to your tragedy
    Chris