Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson A9: Wow

Default Gibson A9: Wow

Hey folks:

I just have to jump in to give a big shout out for the sound of the simple, classy, understated A9. I've read about them and just picked an older one up in like new condition, even with the original strings. And with the old strings and not even "waking up" it's throaty, woody, pretty loud and has a great bark. The smaller frets and flat fingerboard don't seem a bother at all.

Just wanted to let folks know about my opinion about this classy mandolin. It's great. Maybe some of you have similar experience. It would be fun to hear about.

Cheers.

Default Re: Gibson A9: Wow

I've never had the privilege of playing either an A9 or a F9, but the soundclips and YouTube videos sure make it a very attractive sounding model to lust after.

Congratulations on a great find!

Jeff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    Hey folks:

I just have to jump in to give a big shout out for the sound of the simple, classy, understated A9. I've read about them and just picked an older one up in like new condition, even with the original strings. And with the old strings and not even "waking up" it's throaty, woody, pretty loud and has a great bark. The smaller frets and flat fingerboard don't seem a bother at all.

Just wanted to let folks know about my opinion about this classy mandolin. It's great. Maybe some of you have similar experience. It would be fun to hear about.

Cheers.
    You are correct. The Gibson A-9 is the ultimate mandolin bargain. They are made in the USA by the same luthiers and on the same benches as the expensive Gibson models. The builders use the same graduations, and essentially the same woods (except for the MM) and the same construction (except for the MM) and so you get the same Gibson sound. You can get a used one for about $1K and when you do you have a piece of American mandolin history dating back over 100 years. Simply put NO OTHER mandolin can give you this at the price. Congratulations on your great selection!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

"Simply put NO OTHER mandolin can give you this at the price".

Well I would say that statement is open for debate. They are nice mandolins but I don't agree that they are the ONLY mandolin out there that offers a great mandolin at a given price point. I don't agree with blanket statements like that.

jillian

Quote Originally Posted by pager View Post

Well I would say that statement is open for debate. They are nice mandolins but I don't agree that they are the ONLY mandolin out there that offers a great mandolin at a given price point. I don't agree with blanket statements like that.

jillian
    I think he was referring to the 100 years of history part.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Blog Entries

jillian
    OK Jillian -- but just to complete the thought can you tell me what other mandolin company making mandolins today has a 100+ year history in the USA and makes a mandolin as good and as inexpensive as the Gibson A-9? Because that was part of my original statement!
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Sep-01-2011 at 3:07pm.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Lets not go nuts here. The OP is justifiably happy with a very fine instrument. I have played a few of them and they are really really great instruments.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    .....Lets not go nuts here. The OP is justifiably happy with a very fine instrument. I have played a few of them and they are really really great instruments.
    I agree! Let's not go nuts!
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    ...you have a piece of American mandolin history dating back over 100 years. Simply put NO OTHER mandolin can give you this at the price...
    Well, C F Martin can -- if you special order. They haven't regularly built mandolins for, what, 20 years?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

To paraphrase Freud, sometimes a mandolin is just a mandolin.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

I have two Gibson instruments. I just don't think they are THE mandolin. Too many other companies out there making great instruments - USA and otherwise. I do appreciate their history although the company has changed hands a number of times. IF you want to talk history - C.F. Martin is the company. Est 1833 and still a Martin at the helm. That is history.

jillian

Blog Entries

Congratulations, Luna Pick! A9s are excellent mandolins. I've played quite a few, and I have been impressed with each one. I wish you many years of happy enjoyment with yours.

Blog Entries

I have two Gibson instruments. I just don't think they are THE mandolin. Too many other companies out there making great instruments - USA and otherwise. I do appreciate their history although the company has changed hands a number of times. IF you want to talk history - C.F. Martin is the company. Est 1833 and still a Martin at the helm. That is history.
    jillian
    Nothing wrong with Martin...guitars!

A company that might have a more of an obvious path to "glorious" mandolin history might be Lyon-Healy but they are no longer in business of course.
    Bernie
    ____

My brother's buddy has an A9. Really, really fantastic mandolin.

Allen-

Martin did "regularly" build that mandolin version of the backpacker in the last few years, although it's now out of production.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

A company that might have a more of an obvious path to "glorious" mandolin history might be Lyon-Healy but they are no longer in business of course.
    If those guys can still build a harp, I bet they'd take a whack a building a mandolin, provided you showed up with a duffle bag full of money. (Although, come to think of it, I think your average pedal harp costs about 3.5 duffle bags of money.)

I agree with you Bernie.

Blog Entries

The thing that struck me about the A-9s I have played is the family resemblance in tone to my '23 A2. If you want something other than the Gibson sound, (and there are many situations where this really is the case), don't go with the A9.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I did want to sincerely pass on my congrats on that A9. They are great mandos. I did not mean to come across all sparky today. I really am a nice girl I am I am.

jilly

I did want to sincerely pass on my congrats on that A9. They are great mandos. I did not mean to come across all sparky today. I really am a nice girl I am I am.

jilly
    Whats a nice girl like you doing in a cafe like this ?

Blog Entries

I did want to sincerely pass on my congrats on that A9. They are great mandos. I did not mean to come across all sparky today. I really am a nice girl I am I am. jilly
    Of course you are!!!!
    Bernie
    ____

Nothing wrong with Martin...guitars!

Lyon & Healy is still very much in business... but sadly, no longer making mandolins.

Nothing wrong with Martin...guitars!...
    Nothing wrong with Martin mandolins, either, for what they are -- not bluegrass instruments, but well-built, sweet-sounding, versatile mandolins. My 1919 Style A chirps like a canary, and goes with me to Celtic, old-time, and "folk" sessions and performances.

I think Gibson mandolins remain the "gold standard" in their stylistic areas, but Gibson's not the only company with "history."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Nothing wrong with Martin mandolins, either, ... Gibson mandolins remain the "gold standard" in their stylistic areas, but Gibson's not the only company with "history."
    I agree those rosewood flat top Martin mandolins are lovely sounding so no argument there.

But my original comment referred to the linkage between a modern A-9 mandolin (that you can buy new today) with a linkage to more that a century of mandolin history....Gibson is the only one left standing. I guess that could disappear too considering all the misfortune they've had the last few years....
    Bernie
    ____

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I have never owned one but have played one. It was certainly a satisfactory instrument at a reasonable price.