Thread: Recording

Blog Entries

Default Recording

What is a cheap system to record different instrument parts and a voice (all played by me) and get a good sound? I'm doing a lot of that type or recording now, just for fun. Usually I just use my computer's microphone and normal earphones, which is not too bad for me, but the computer starts overheating a little and I get this fuzzy "breathing" sound in the background of the recording. I expect I'd need to buy a better microphone or something like that. Any suggestions?
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Default Re: Recording

how cheap?
    don't know how much zoom h4 is in your part of the world
    but it's not just a portable recorder - it also has the the soft and you can plug it into a pc
    and that way record.
    think about it
    read about it

Blog Entries

Well, maybe... cheaper than that? all i really need is a little bit better sound and to eliminate that background fuzz, I have software.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Registered User Michael Thompson's Avatar

I use a Rode NT1-A condenser microphone package and a lightsnake USB mic cable. It wasn't too expensive. If, however, you don't already own something to provide you with phantom power to the mic, you'd have to get something for that, too.

Here's my mic package: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ser-mic-bundle
    "don't play [your instrument], just play music." - Chris Thile

» Weber Yellowstone HT F-style Mandocello
    » "The Loar" LM-700 VS mandolin
    » "The Loar" LH-309 archtop guitar
    » Washburn J28S12DL 12 string acoustic guitar
    » Epiphone Les Paul Custom with Bigsby tremolo tailpiece
    » Dean Razorback

do you need to have the capability to put your stuff on the computer ? people are basically giving away the old cassette 4 track recorders as they are now obsolete . put a add in the classifieds .you will probably just have to pay shipping . i used to have a fostex 4 track was lots of fun at the time . you may still need a microphone for vocals and acoustic stuff

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

Tony,

You say your computer is over heating, if it's a laptop try putting a pair of 1/2" battens under it to improve the air flow (for almost zero cost) and make sure that the power unit is on edge rather than laying flat. If it's a PC you could try putting a fan near to it.

Heat is the enemy for any electronic kit, make sure all the vents are clear and avoid soft table surfaces or knees or clutter.

Hope this helps.
    John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010

I've never used it but the Zoom R16 Multitrack SD Recorder looks pretty cool. So does the TASCAM DP-008 8-Track Digital Portastudio.