Thread: Monroe vs The Loar

Default Monroe vs The Loar

I've been playing for almost nine years now, and yet I've played almost nothing other than a Johnson SF-100. I have the cash for either a Monroe MVF-1 or a Loar LM-500. Either way the purchase will be an upgrade, I think we can agree on this. Yet, I'm not sure which direction to go.

For $600 I do not expect something with top of the line construction. I understand the setbacks I will accept. My question is about sound quality. Which would be the better upgrade?

Default Re: Monroe vs The Loar

Welcome to the cafe! I havn't played a Loar 500, but I have a 300, and have heard great reviews on all of the other The Loars.
    I'm assuming it's one of the new 500's? Jesse

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

The Loar. I saw a used LM-700 VS recently for $600 online somewhere. If only I could remember where that was. For that price, if you're willing to go used, I'd spring for a higher model The Loar.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Maybe I was thinking of this one at Elderly. It's $800 though. Not $600. http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-5952.htm
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Ebay has some used 700's. Some imperfect ones are around $700+ range.

Jeff

The Loar! No question! If you can, shoot for the LM 600 or LM 700, the only reason you will ever need another mandolin is because of MAS. I have a 700 and have found it extremely difficult to "upgrade." Hard to find better mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. Carlson View Post
    Maybe I was thinking of this one at Elderly. It's $800 though. Not $600. http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-5952.htm
    I just saw that LM700 other day hanging up it is on consignment and is VERY NICE for the price! I live near Elderly always going there and I check out the mando's, that LM700 is a GOOD DEAL..I just bought a new LM500 and love it but that 700 has a better sound I think also plays easy but that is because right now it has flat wound steel strings on it and I was told the cost about $37. The LM500 I have is built with a tone bar the LM700 does not have one and this is a topic that has been discussed allot. After 35 years I can say for the price these "THE LOAR" mandolins are a deal.

I would say the 500 we have is quite nice for the $$$. As we are getting more experienced with different Mando's , and play everyone we come in contact with ( that we are allowed to ) it is really going to be hard to find a better Mandolin in this price range, action, bright tone, natural volume etc..you may pay a few dollars more for one with more scrolling or "visuals" but it may not play or sound any better.