Thread: 50th Philadelphia Folk Festival

Blog Entries

Default 50th Philadelphia Folk Festival

Here are some photos from last weekend's 50th Philadelphia Folk Festival. Thankfully the fest got pushed up a week a couple years ago to meet school openings or fest would have been this week for Hurricane Irene (6 years to the weekend after Katrina hit).

Personal highlights for me were Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen (very good band with a fantastic banjo player), Trombone Shorty, and David Bromberg. I had a chance to watch Mike Compton play his Gil F4 with some of the John Hartford String Band (I think I missed there set) and Frank Solivan with Barry Mitterhoff during post fest jams. So wonderful to hear these guys play together. The piper is Dennis Hangey who has been opening the evening concerts at fest forever. He's played more fests than anyone I think.

I didn't take tons of photos of the Fest itself as I was working, it was raining or I'm learning to put down the camera and enjoy the music... This will give a little flavor. The cigarbox instruments were made by a crafter. The dulcimer is made by Archie Smith of North Carolina. I loved the walnut soundholes.

Jamie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2791.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	75664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2812.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	75663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2815.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	75662  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2802.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	75659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2921.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	75660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2836.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	75661  

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Default Re: 50th Philadelphia Folk Festival

Here are the others from the jams. I watched Barry, Frank and the others in their circle play for 1.5 hours. What a treat. Two fantastic mandolins very well played. They traded and were struck by how different they were from each other. Barry has an incredible economy of left hand movement. His fingers hardly moved at all.

Jamie

Name:	DSC_3010.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	75666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2989.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	75668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2987.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	75665  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2999.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	75670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2990.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	75667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3014.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	75669  

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

Blog Entries

One of Mike... Lighting was very low at the jam. I tried to keep the colors true but...

Jamie

Name:	DSC_2967.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	75671  

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Nice photos, Jamie. I recognize Barry Mitterhoff and Mike Compton (who else could wear overalls and tie-dye with such ease and style?), who is the Frank you mention? (pardon my ignorance) Looks like a good time!
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Blog Entries

Thanks.

Frank Solivan (a Cafe Member) with Frank Sollivan and Dirty Kitchen.

Jamie

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

Thanks to Facebook, I'm tempted to "like" all your photos. Since I can't do that lemme tell you those are some cool sights. That Gilchrist mandolin is pretty much exactly what I'd like to have.
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

Blog Entries

There are a few more on my facebook page. I didn't want to clog up the Cafe.

Jamie

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Neat! Haven't been there in quite some time, since my Philly friends moved to West Va.

Nice hardware on the uke: "non-tuning" fork for a tailpiece, and the saddle obviously plays on key!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    There are a few more on my facebook page. I didn't want to clog up the Cafe.
    Clog away! Why not? Two of my favorite things - mandolins and festivals - seems relevant to me!

I wanted to go this year - well, I always want to go, but there was extra incentive. This was the 50th, and they had a great lineup. Plus one of my bands was playing on the main stage, instead of just in the campgrounds - the Philadelphia Jug Band. It's been ten years since the last time (also the first time), and that was one of the happiest experiences of my musical career. Would have liked to have made it, but I am now some 1500 miles further away than I used to be. Anyway, I have seen some photos and gotten some reports, and a good time was had by all.

(BTW, at the above link, I am on #1, #3, and #4, on which I also play slide on my steel tenor guitar. Ain't braggin', just sayin'.)
    Last edited by journeybear; Aug-28-2011 at 1:34am.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Unless he's got 2 Michael Lewis mandolins,it looks like Frank Solivan's swapped the original ornate tailpiece out for a 'standard' style one. What make of mandolin is Barry Mitterhoff playing ?. I can't quite make out the name in the pic.,it doesn't remind me of a maker that i know of,but i'd bet that he made it sound terrific,he's a great player,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Love the cigar box pics and the close-up of the mandolins with the confetti are great.

Love to see more.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

There is a ton or two of pics here - 868 of 'em. My buddies are on page 12, there is mando content on pages 19, 29, 25, and - well, you're on your own!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Barry is playing a Buckeye. Frank's Lewis has bound f-holes. I think Barry's may have a mahoganny back... I overheard them chatting as I was shooting but not paying close enough attention. The Dirty Kitchen band has a banjo player that sounds like a jazz guitarist! And his bass player is a hoot. Here's a public link to the FB album. Most of those photos are of my daughter and the Great Groove Band which is a recurring band of kids at Fest who practice for 3 days and open the Sunday evening concerts.

Jamie