Thread: Just Got a Rono 5-String!!!

Default Just Got a Rono 5-String!!!

Just picked it up today. I've played some mandobirds in the past but wasn't all that impressed, yet I still wanted an electric mandolin, especially for playing with some friends who have rock oriented jams a few times a month. Finally just decided to go whole hog and buy this one on eBay. If nothing else it just looked so damn gorgeous.

Long story short, I got it today and LOVE it! I plugged it into a Big Muff distortion box and cranked the volume. WOW! Now I can play Mudhoney tunes on a mandolin with all the distortion and volume I've dreamed of! It's hard to over-state how well that fifth string works. The chords you can make with that sucker sound very much like an electric guitar, which is basically what I wanted...an electric guitar that was tuned like the instrument I am most familiar with.

I honestly know next to nothing about amps, pedals, or electric instrument gear, so this will be a totally new learning experience, but it's already a lot of fun.

Default Re: Just Got a Rono 5-String!!!

When you go about purchasing an amp . try to remember that it is the other half of you instrument . acoustics make their own sound and are there fore complete and only need to have a microphone . the amp will influence the tonal characteristics of your sound .

things to consider - first will be tube or solid state

solid state amps are less expensive generally and have more head room ( no airy noise as you turn up the volume )
    and work well with most effect gear or come with effects internally installed .

tube amps can be more problematic and more expensive but sound better IMO because of the tube compression and have true distortion . i have not heard a distortion emulator that i like as much as true tubes breaking up ( though i do use a emulator during gigs and rehearsal for their convenience , we usually share the stage with other bands and often do not get a sound check)

another thing to consider is where the controls are placed having them on the back can make them hard to get to on a dark crowded stage .
    another is volume , how loud do you need to be ? i use a amp stand so i can have my amp close to me so it does not need to be loud and i have the sound person mic it .

I'm borrowing a Fender Blues Junior III from a friend and really like it, though I don't have much basis for comparison.

Congrats Alex - have fun with it!
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Blog Entries

Alex; Congratulations! Sounds awesome.
    The Fender Blues Juniors are great amps.
    We'd love to see pics and clips!
    Oh, and here's all you need to know about amps...Turn all of the knobs clockwise until they will go no further.
    Rock on!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

No no, get one of the really expensive little boutique tube amps just because they look cool. I did get one for the concert series, a real low-watt thing that I can control more when I mic the cabinet.

My new favorite quote though, when it comes to electrics,was from Jimi Hendrix, who said, "I don't play guitar, I play amp."

Sorry charlie, I went ahead and bought a Blues Junior. I don't know squat about amps and it was what I'd borrowed from my guitar playing buddy and I thought it sounded pretty good.

Like I said, I know nothing about electric instruments, so this is all new to me - confusing and intimidating but also interesting and fun.

I'll post a video in the near future, but first I want to get a handle on how to incorporate the extra string and how to make the whole set-up sound its best.

It's definitely more than just an amped mandolin.

well you can all ways buy more amps, i know i want too . mandolin acquisition syndrome is called MAS- banjo acquisition syndrome is called BAS, gear acquisition syndrome is called GAS so Amp acquisition syndrome is called - ummm well lets put that under gear and call it GAS

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    Sorry charlie, I went ahead and bought a Blues Junior. I don't know squat about amps and it was what I'd borrowed from my guitar playing buddy and I thought it sounded pretty good.

Like I said, I know nothing about electric instruments, so this is all new to me - confusing and intimidating but also interesting and fun.

I'll post a video in the near future, but first I want to get a handle on how to incorporate the extra string and how to make the whole set-up sound its best.

It's definitely more than just an amped mandolin.
    A Blues Junior is an excellent choice for an amp.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?