Thread: Attention Ray Jackson (Maggie May) fans

Default Attention Ray Jackson (Maggie May) fans

They imported these mandolins with and without brands under several brand names. Your chance to own one pretty reasonably is here (NFI). Read about Ray Jackson here.

Default Re: Attention Ray Jackson (Maggie May) fans

Funny, the first time I, and I suppose a great many members of the British public, took any notice of mandolin in pop was with the appearance of Rod Stewart's Gasoline Alley. That was an "ear-opener" for me, a year or so before Maggie May and Mandolin wind. The mandolinist on Gasoline Alley is Stanley Matthews. There was a famous English footballer with that title but I can't imagine them being the same people. Prior to Gasoline I did know what a mandolin was (I suppose they must have popped up from time to time in old films on the tele, or on variety shows and the like, or a burst of music here and there to indicate an "Italian mood", etc.) but in pop my first exposure was on Baby please don't go by Sonny and Cher (actually I believe it was someone tremeloing on a guitar but for years I thought it was mandolin).

Whoever did the Buy it now let us know how it sounds when you get it.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Dang! I forgot about that - busy cleaning the place getting ready for termite inspection - as if that were more important than snapping up a decent deal like that. Oh well ... Not that I need it - I'm pretty happy with the mandoBird, and I just got my EM-150 out of storage to see if I could get it working again - but to have that model, with its history, and cool retro look, and as I said, decent price, it would have been nice. Oh well ...

Quote Originally Posted by ald View Post
    Funny, the first time I, and I suppose a great many members of the British public, took any notice of mandolin in pop was with the appearance of Rod Stewart's Gasoline Alley. That was an "ear-opener" for me, a year or so before Maggie May and Mandolin Wind. The mandolinist on Gasoline Alley is Stanley Matthews. There was a famous English footballer with that title but I can't imagine them being the same people. Prior to Gasoline I did know what a mandolin was (I suppose they must have popped up from time to time in old films on the tele, or on variety shows and the like, or a burst of music here and there to indicate an "Italian mood", etc.) but in pop my first exposure was on Baby please don't go by Sonny and Cher (actually I believe it was someone tremeloing on a guitar but for years I thought it was mandolin).
    It was indeed a tremoloed guitar, but I know what you mean. Something similar that wigged me out was Clapton while in Cream, his solos on "Dance The Night Away" from "Disraeli Gears" used a lot of tremolo, and especially the ascending riff behind the refrain. It still gives me chills, and thrills, just thinking of it. I went searching through my memory banks a couple of years ago in response to a thread or two, and decided the first time I heard mandolin was Ry Cooder on "Love In Vain," by The Rolling Stones on "Let It Bleed." Go figure. I had surely heard it before, in Italian restaurants and such, as "Santa Lucia" touches me on some preverbal subconscious level, and there is also the choir of mandolins on Dino's "That's Amore," but I blame Ry, or credit Ry, for this. I know it's a bit unusual, but I did not grow up in a bluegrass-rich region. Nor live in one now. I do my bit to offset the imbalance, though.
    Last edited by journeybear; Aug-15-2011 at 12:09pm.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I bought it. Just received it today. It is in great condition for it's age. Neck straight, action low (although the adjustment screws stick up higher than the bridge, might have to cut the extra threads off and grind it smooth) After replacing a noisy input jack, spraying a scratchy pot flipping the pickup that someone had re-installed upside down (slanting the wrong way))and putting J 67 nickel strings on for the magnetic pickup, I am very please with it. Well worth the purchase price. BTW, we are a music store so nothing that we did was a major problem. One of the better vintage electric type mandolins that I have seen/owned as far as scale, neck width and condition. John