Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grisman or Bush?

i bet there are miles of tape from that session. it was common at Arch Studios to play a tune for as long as there were ideas flowing and then splice them together.
    i heard that on the original DGQ lp, that there were nearly 7 minutes of tony soloing on EMD that they spliced down to that one incredible break.

now that would be cool to reissue that CD with the extended versions.

..and "Midnight On The Stormy Deep"....now thats classic..it cant get much better than that...T And Skaggs are better'n bisquits and gravy...they Got-R-Did...

Sounds like I need to re-listen to that break again. I guess now that I think about it, the Emin part has a lot of those 1st fret-2nd fret Grisman licks. And I gotta go pull out the old vinyl and check the notes there too.

Quote Originally Posted by (kudzugypsy @ Nov. 17 2004, 10:53)
    i bet there are miles of tape from that session. it was common at Arch Studios to play a tune for as long as there were ideas flowing and then splice them together.
    i heard that on the original DGQ lp, that there were nearly 7 minutes of tony soloing on EMD that they spliced down to that one incredible break.

now that would be cool to reissue that CD with the extended versions.
    Sounds like Miles Davis' method, Bitches Brew, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by (Yonkle @ Nov. 17 2004, 09:53)
    Where can I get this Manzanita CD? Did'nt see it on Grismans site. Sounds like a good CD!
    Just about anywhere......

http://www.midcontinentmusic.com/det...?Catalogid=956

http://www.amazon.com/exec....s=music

http://www.cduniverse.com/product....5156521

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

That Manzanita album is a good one! It was recommended to me six or eight months ago, I bought it and here we are writing about it. I enjoy every cut and never thought about mixing genre amoungst the players. Hearing the Ginsing Sullivan track brought me back to the New Grass Revival's first record, where I first heard the song. It had been awhile since I had bought bluegrass music and was real glad to have picked up Manzanita.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

For a while Manzanita was the only cd I would listen to... until I started listening to DGQ's fist album...

Although, now my Ipod is full of hours of incredible mandolin music...

God bless the Ipod!

Eric

I remember reading somewhere too that it was the Dawg on Blackberry Blossom. It sounds like a Dawg break to me (slides, etc).

My fave track on it is "I Hope You Have Learned"....what a tasty kick-off by Sam.

I wasn't familiar with this album... it sounds like it's worth getting. Search Amazon or www.rounder.com... it's still available.

I would think that it should be pretty easy to distinguish Grisman from Bush if you've listened to much Dawg or NGR. In fact, I would guess that the version that was described as "a lot of noodling" would be Grisman... but here again I'm not familiar with the album so maybe I should shut up!

Paul Doubek
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Manzanita has long been a favorite of mine. It was several years before I noticed there wasn't any banjo on the album! Maybe that's why I liked it so much.
    Fred

You can also buy it directly from www.tonyrice.com and he will even sign it for you if you like.....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Good cd, tho some of the more out there stuff loses me. I'm not a huge fan of Dawg style mando, tho he does some nice stuff on a different project I have of him that has a more traditional sound to it.

The more I hear from Ricky's days of singing with T Rice and Keith Whitley the more I kinda wish he'd never become a big star.

Nothing against his lead singing, because it's generally good and I enjoy a lot of it, but that boy could sing some killer tenor.

maybe a little off the subject,but i always thought that sam's fiddle kick off to 9lb hammer is one of the all time greats. It just has a groove that puts me in a good mood every time i here it. life is good Don
    I been through the mountians on a mule with no name.

This (european) side of atlantic ocean, Manzanita is "cult" LP, or now, CD. Bluegrass with a newgrass / dawg / Douglas / Skaggs high energy input.
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine

The time NGR toured thru The Bay Area....... 6 months after Manzanita was recorded...... Sammy came to my studio in Oakland & jammed with Tony, Todd & Darol. That was back in the day when Todd built & repaired mandos in the back of my art studio. I think there is a bootleg of that jam floating
    around somewhere......I recorded it on a Revox half track. They played the tune Manzanita & basically tore up a bunch of instrumental
    tunes & a few songs from the record, as well as some DGQ stuff......They really could get a groove going!...... ahhhhhh the good ol days!

..more...Arthur....we want more....

Quote Originally Posted by (fatt-dad @ Nov. 17 2004, 20:39)
    That Manzanita album is a good one! #It was recommended to me six or eight months ago, I bought it and here we are writing about it. #I enjoy every cut and never thought about mixing genre amoungst the players. #Hearing the Ginsing Sullivan track brought me back to the New Grass Revival's first record, where I first heard the song. #It had been awhile since I had bought bluegrass music and was real glad to have picked up Manzanita.

f-d
    Is Manzanita bluegrass? (He asks with an evil grin.)

Truly one of the great albums. I sure wish Tony was still singing. Of course, the best version of Ginsing Sullivan is still the original by Norman Blake. (Not bluegrass, either <g&gt.

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

I recall having copies of the Manzanita studio tapes before the final selections had been made.......there were several versions of the various cuts, different solos, those guys are such great improvisors they just made up completely different breaks each time thru......there is great friendship & mutual admiration among those players.....hey the great pickers obviously know who their peers are......it was a treat for them to all be pickin together, and this was well before you heard Flux all over everything, or Ricky preaching, or people copying T. Rice licks....or Dawggy being the 'ol Dad....it was all new energy well before these kinda players would all be on stage together at Telluride or Merlefest year after year....it was a party for the musicians & the joy of the music & the friendship comes thru loud & clear on Manzanita. They played B.B several times thru in a row......each hotter than the the last one.....or not....it was all great. It is amazing how good they were back in 1978, but I think they are all more mature & stronger players today, more depth, the kind of depth that only experience & years of sharpening your skills as a musician can bring. Manzanita is a classic recording in the history of New Acoustic Music, as are the early DGQ recordings. The Bay Area was really a hotbed for acoustic music in those years.....hey it still is..... And anytime these same players find themselves jammin'on stage at Festivals today I think that same love of the music & mutual admiration friendship comes thru in their playing. Super pickers!!!

Thanks, SternART, for the story and analysis.
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine

Default Re: Grisman or Bush?

There was an interesting discussion about this way back in 2004: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ight=manzanita Oops, I meant to post this in the new (2020) thread.
    Last edited by Geno; Sep-11-2020 at 8:13pm. Reason: attached to wrong thread.

Woah Geno, not sure you can bring a fiery thread from 2004 (unintentionally) into 2020 without explosive results!

Great content though
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Bush or Grismam? I prefer both.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Tea or coffee??

Pepsi or Coke? I was blown away by Manzanita when it first came out - bought because of the Tony Rice connection to DGQ, which I'd first bought due to The Old & in the Way connection, which I bought because of Garcia. Manzanita took me back to the New Grass Revival catalogue, tho I'd heard them at a dive in Iowa City several times in the early 70s. Still play many of those recordings today, and Manzanita still blows me away!