Thread: Just had a Conversation with Lloyd LaPlant

Default Just had a Conversation with Lloyd LaPlant

I've met him once before at Harrison's Fiddler's Convention, but never really talked to him. I called him about pricing for his mandolins. I can honestly say that he might be the nicest person I have ever spoken with.

I'm looking forward to seeing him at the Harrison, AR fiddler's convention this upcoming march, and playing the mandolin that he is bringing down for my to try!

Default Re: Just had a Conversation with Lloyd LaPlant

Dude.

I believe we all spoke to about the evils of MAS. Sometimes it has 2 points, sometimes not!

In all seriousness, that sounds like a whole ton of fun to look forward to playing!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

MAS is in full effect, Dcov...

Seriously though, I don't have much money and I'm not going to have much after this. While I can, AKA while my parents still pay for some of my things, I want to get myself two great mandolins, I have one, and I have been researching non-stop on mandolins that fit my taste to a tee.

F Style
    Adirondack Top
    Varnished

Those are the for sure things I want, and I don't want to drop more than 6.5K. Harder to do that I thought. And I'm not buying used, just simply because I want this to be "my" mandolin. I know that is stupid, but I'm 20. I'm young, therefore, stupid.
    Last edited by Keith Witty; Aug-08-2011 at 9:24pm.

Lloyd LePlant is one of the finest people you could ever hope to meet. He is a true gentleman and a wonderful luthier. I have known him for many years and he has always been so gracious. While he builds great mandolins, he built a 12 fret slothead guitar that is the best I have ever played, and I've played a bunch of them over the years. Talking to Lloyd is an honor at any time. I am glad you had the opportunity!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

F style? check
    Adi top? A must
    Varnished? Why not.

Everything seems to be in order. Move along and buy the mando. You have MY blessing.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Witty
    Those are the for sure things I want, and I don't want to drop more than 6.5K. Harder to do that I thought. And I'm not buying used, just simple because I want this to be "my" mandolin. I know that is stupid, but I'm 20. I'm young, therefore, stupid.
    At least you recognize it. And at least you're planning on spending your money on an item that can bring you and others hours of enjoyment, and that you can keep the rest of your life and pass on to your children, if you so wish. When I was 20 (several years ago), my money burned a hole in my pocket, and I have nothing to show for it now.
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Keith, do it. So one of us doesn't have to.
    Collings MT
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello

Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The LaPLants are very, very nice fellows and have been regulars at the fiddlers convention for a long time. They usually have a mandolin or two they'll let you play and maybe one or two that they keep to themselves. They're pretty darn salty pickers, too.
    The son is usually among the last jam to break up before we get kicked out of the building. If I were to be shopping for an F5, LaPlant would be among the top bunch for top quality, sound and affordability, but you hardly ever see them in the classifieds. Also, I've got one (not a LaPlant) thats good enough and I cannot afford MAS.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by dcoventry View Post
    F style? check
    Adi top? A must
    Varnished? Why not.

Everything seems to be in order. Move along and buy the mando. You have MY blessing.
    Great news! I was just telling my brother that the only thing that was stopping me from buying a LaPlant was the fact that Dcov hadn't approved of it yet. Fear not, I think I'm gonna do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew DeMarco View Post
    Keith, do it. So one of us doesn't have to.
    If this was facebook I would like this.

Keith,

I do try and be supportive of others wildly cool and whole supportable flights of mando fantasy. So, it's dcoventry approved..accept no substitute!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

I think what has really sold me on the LaPlants was his willingness to accept payments on his mandolin, payments that I can afford.

Wow. That's very generous and a good idea all around. Congrats, and I am sure you being you had something to do with it.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

Whatever it was, it was incredibly kind of him. Not a man I will soon forget.

Blog Entries

I definitely think with this "history" behind it, it will definitely be YOUR mandolin, Keith. These are truly fine mandolins. You can't go wrong there. You are most definitely not stupid! A very wise decision to invest in a great instrument from a great maker. You get to pick a great mandolin, and financially, a good investment too. There are plenty, plenty worse things to do with a few $$ than that.....

All you have to do now is wait for it. Always the worst part!!

You've probably seen this, but if not....

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=128400157284

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Witty View Post
    MAS is in full effect, Dcov...

Seriously though, I don't have much money and I'm not going to have much after this. While I can, AKA while my parents still pay for some of my things, I want to get myself two great mandolins, I have one, and I have been researching non-stop on mandolins that fit my taste to a tee.
    Your parents are amazing. Don't ever forget that

Just saw Lloyd at our festival, truly a great individual & a fine guitar/mandolin maker.
    keith madison

I bought the second Loar F5 that I ever owned from Lloyd. It's a while back now, but, I don't think I even had to pay him for it, he shipped it first to see if i liked it.
    I never did lay eyes on him until years later. A really good guy.
    Ken

I've known Lloyd for many years and have three of his instruments (mandolin, mandola, guitar). My A-5 (ol' 99: adirondack top, varnish finish) is a killer. He's a real gentleman and one of the nicest and most honest persons you could ever do business with. And they're great instruments!
    Too many instruments...too little time

It's great to read al these positive comments about Lloyd Laplant. I first met him years ago during his regular visits to the Winnipeg Folk Festival. There was always a good parking lot jam near his camper. I've visited and jammed with him at his home in Minnesota many times and he is truly as fine a person as one will ever meet. His instruments are labors of love and each one is superbly crafted. Both of Lloyd's sons are following in the footsteps of their father and building fine instruments too. You cannot go wrong in purchasing a Laplant and you'll know that you have purchased an instrument from a wonderful builder and a true gentleman.
    Aaron Burnett

Seems like a very cool guy.
    Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Thanks for posting this, Steve. I own Lloyd's #11 F-5, built in 1983 and I've always wanted to meet "the maker". Since I'm in Virginia, I may never get the chance but now I can put a walking, talking person with the name.
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Witty View Post
    I think what has really sold me on the LaPlants was his willingness to accept payments on his mandolin, payments that I can afford.
    Keith - - You CANNOT (I repeat) CANNOT go wrong dealing with Lloyd LaPlant. When I got my 1916 Gibson F-2 from him (an interesting story but it belongs in another thread) 10 years ago, and he let me take it home after paying less than half of the asking price. I was supposed to pay something to him once a month after that. I was on hard times then and couldn't do the once a month payment and felt as guilty as could be for not doing so. Lloyd said "Don't worry about it. Pay me when you can.", and left it at that.

Long story short (I still have the receipt he wrote out for me), I bought the mandolin in January of '01 and my first payment (other than the initial down payment) to him wasn't until December of '01. I was able to make only one payment in all of '02, and one last payment in '03. Funny - - when I handed him the final 500 bucks I owed on that mandolin in '03, he (Lloyd) gave me a funny look and said: "I thought you'd already paid that old mandolin off?" I had to tell him: "Nope. I still owe you 500 bucks for it."

He gave me that quirky grin he has and said: "Well - I'm glad YOUR book keeping is better than mine!
    I guess it's now officially yours free and clear, and I've got 500 bucks I didn't expect."

I saw Lloyd just a couple of weeks ago at the Cotton Fiddle Contest here in Mn., and we got to visit together for a bit. I asked him what the going price was for one of his mandolins (new) these days. He kind of grimaced, and then said that due to rising costs (etc., etc., etc.), he's now asking about $6,500 for a new one. I forgot to ask if there was a waiting line to get one of his instruments, since they are so popular here in the northland, but the last time I spoke with him about that a couple of years ago - - there was a "take a number and be seated in the waiting room" due to the amount of folks who want a LaPlant mandolin or guitar. I've picked on several of his guitars (I like the slotted peg head 12 frets to the neck best) and several of his mandolins as well. Anything he makes is quality through and through. I don't believe he'd let it go out of his shop if it wasn't.

Good luck with next March when you get to try out what he's bringing for you.
    It's interesting (to me) that he has the same initials as "that other Lloyd" from 1923.

UP