Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Barney Kessel Playing A Gibson 12 String Mandolin?

Default Re: Barney Kessel Playing A Gibson 12 String Mandolin?

Indeed Allen and anyone wanting further confirmation of Allen's insight into Orville's genius could also look at this page on Frank Ford's www.frets.com to see a Gibson tailpiece strung the way it was intended and straight away as well.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Barney Kessel Playing A Gibson 12 String Mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by guitarfool2002 View Post
    Hello! I'm hoping someone can help me in this search for info on a Gibson mandolin. This photo was in the booklet from the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds Sessions" box set. Barney Kessel is holding what looks like a Gibson mandolin with 12 strings, and the instrument appears to be acoustic since a microphone is placed near the F hole just at the bottom of the shot and I see no signs of a pickup. I have found little information on this instrument other than this photo, and I've been looking for other photos and answers for years.

Was this a production model Gibson that would have been in their catalog, or was this a custom order for Barney, or even another session musician? Was this instrument electric, or acoustic? What year or era does it appear to be by the features shown in the photo? The only guess I can offer is that it may be closer to a Vox Mandoguitar, where it is tuned like a guitar but strung in pairs like a mandolin minus the octave strings of a normal 12-string.

Thank you in advance for any help or info, as this info could help settle a lot of questions and discussions. Specifically, one of them is whether this very instrument could have been used by Barney to play the intro to "Wouldn't It Be Nice" on Pet Sounds.

Thank you!
    Here's the closest I can find for you. http://www.vintageinstruments.com/mu...-4fulpage.html He could have had it altered to a 6 course std. 12 string set up, by changing out the nut, and sanding down the bridge, and re-cutting the slots??? As a luthier, this is possible, but I'm not too sure about the instrument being able to handle the physical stress of the octaves, however the instrument (presumably by the "Truss Rod" cover) HAS an adjustable Truss Rod? Could maybe begin the octaves at the "D", instead of at the "G"? And use .008 (or less) diameter plains as much as possible. Hope this helps? I had never seen this before myself, but being on the "WRECKING CREW" anything could be possible, Ha! Gb beatlegeo