Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plumbing a Schertler Dyn-M to a 1/4 inch Female Carpenter Jack?

Default Re: Plumbing a Schertler Dyn-M to a 1/4 inch Female Carpenter Jac

The Redeye would like to see 1 meg ohm, which is what say a K&K transducer is. The Schertler is much much less, if I remember it is a contact microphone. I am not sure it would be compatible with the preamp. You might take a small 4 channel board as a preamp so it will be compatible with the Schertler and use the effects on that to run pedals then send it to the main board.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clark View Post

Any suggestion based on this setup?

Thanks.
    The 'perfect' solution for this has been created by Eventide with the "Mixing Link" box. This is exactly what it is designed for. It's a high-grade, pro level bit of kit. Works very well:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/produc...oop/mixinglink

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/...de-mixing-link

You can get a similar (though not necessarily quite as convenient) thing going using certain small mic preamps that include +48v and an unbalanced output in addition to their XLR out. At pretty low cost, the ART TUBE MP works well for this kind of job:

http://artproaudio.com/mic_preamps/p...e_mp-original/

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMP

Just use the unbalanced jack out from this into your pedal board. It has a couple of good features:

1) The jack INPUT is 1 Meg - so useful as a DI box if you switch instruments to something with a piezo (works well with these - I've tested it).
    2) You can not only control the input level, but the output level too - very important when matching to pedal boards or external FX.

The Mixing Link is neat, has an FX bypass and other stuff, but you can certainly get the job done with the ART.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Question: did Schertler actually shorten the length of the Dyn-M cable for the current model? My Dyn-M-SET, purchased five years ago, has seven feet of cable from pickup to xlr connector--enough for basic stage setup, including plugging it safely at floor level into a second xlr cable to reach the board. It's still a hassle, but not a disaster at that length.
    Last edited by Bill Cameron; Jul-27-2017 at 10:09am. Reason: Double text.

Answer: I have a recent DYN-M-P48 and the lead is about 7ft long (as it's from Switzerland I suspect it's actually 2 metres)

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clark View Post
    Has anyone taken the step to actually connect the Dyn-M to a 1/4" carpenter jack?

Hi Neal -- I have one of the carpenter jack Dyn-M's on my mandolin. I'm probably the one who bought the original seller's Dyn-M back in 2011. It lives on my Weber, and I think it sounds great.

I've not taken the time to take the carpenter jack apart to see how it's wired. If another one came along for sale, I'd definitely buy it for mandolin #2. The Schertler is a good sounding mic, and having it wired to a carpenter jack just makes it so much easier to use.

PS - I'd email Paul Hoffman and ask him who did it for him.
    Sheryl --- Me