Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: what's the best fiddle tune ever?

Default Re: what's the best fiddle tune ever?

Great song, Bernie. I'm partial to both "Faded Love" and "Soldiers Joy" myself. Enjoyed picking with you at the Rainbow.

Fiddle tunes...love 'em all. But the one I always play is "Big Sciota" love picking it on guitar and mandolin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler3 View Post
    Great song, Bernie. I'm partial to both "Faded Love" and "Soldiers Joy" myself. Enjoyed picking with you at the Rainbow.
    Likewise! As luck would have it we did all three of those tunes at the campground!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

The great thing about a tune like John Ryan's Polk is portent. The thing sounds inevitable. It sounds like it could not have been otherwise. Same with Angeline the Baker and Mairi's Wedding. Once you hear it you say of course. There is no other way it could have gone.

That is a wonderful quality in a tune. The trick is to play it in a way that still delights.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    The great thing about a tune like John Ryan's Polk is portent. The thing sounds inevitable. It sounds like it could not have been otherwise. Same with Angeline the Baker and Mairi's Wedding. Once you hear it you say of course. There is no other way it could have gone.

That is a wonderful quality in a tune. The trick is to play it in a way that still delights.
    Good observation. I think that is true of a lot of the traditional Celtic tunes especially hornpipes -- this is a virtual treasure trove of great melodies just waiting to be utilized in other types of music. For example, wouldn't the Glasgow Reel (Tam Lin) make a great bluegrass fiddle tune?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Tam Lin is a great tune, and sounds good as a "surf guitar" tune, ala the Ventures.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Tam Lin is a great tune, and sounds good as a "surf guitar" tune, ala the Ventures.
    The Ventures Brings back old memories ... The first tune I ever learned to play all the way through was "Pipe Line"
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Red Haired Boy

Jerusalem Ridge. If I could add a second it would be Vassar's Lonesome Fiddle Blues.

best fiddle ?.......song. Guess that means the type of music written for a fiddle. I go along with Orange Blossom Special. A close second may be Maiden's Prayer. Then there is Amazing Grace. These songs are fiddled to death but will still get an audience's full attention. I still can not play OBS, and I have tried 100 times to learn it.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

Calliope House is a great tune as is Blind Mary. My favourite slip jig is The Butterfly.

Bernie Daniel mentioned Maple Sugar, Ward Allen's great tune. We used to play this tune in the North Shore Ramblers. Zeke Mazurek, the fiddler, would introduce it by saying something like:
    Ward Allen was born in Kirkton, Ontario into a musical family. His four older brothers were musicians and step dancers and Ward made his first public appearance at a barn dance at the age of 12. As a teenager, he won local and regional contests and in 1949, he won first prize at the Canadian National Exhibition competition in Toronto. He was able to repeat this accomplishment for a number of years and in 1953 he went on to win the Canadian Open Championships in Shelburne, Ontario. He became a featured member of Wilf Carter's tours in the mid-50's. In 1958, he covered over 35 thousand miles and visited 108 towns and cities. He also joined the CFRA "Happy Wanders", a group he played with for almost ten years. Allen was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, Nashville, Tennessee, in 1965. He died in Hull Quebec that same year. We've done that.
    Last edited by Jim Yates; Jun-09-2012 at 9:10am.
    Jim Yates

My favorites to play are Washington's March, Billy in the Lowground, Red Haired Boy...

The one I play more than any other is Jolie Blond...and of course too many Irish tunes to mention

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post

The one I play more than any other is Jolie Blond...
    I wish I could play that one good. I have been working on it off and on for two years now. One of the days I will get serious about Julie Blon, take her, and ride off on the Orange Blossom Spec. Those two are the hardest fiddle tunes I have tried.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

Well I don't know that I play it WELL, but I'm sure I've played that more in the last 5-10 years than most any other, except maybe Allons a Lafayette...fiddle though, which I think you can't beat for the music

Quote Originally Posted by abram View Post
    I'm saying the Big Scioto
    Eight years later, and I still agree with the OP (and also recognize the question is unanswerable). Three years ago I named a rescued Blue Heeler puppy 'Little Scioty', as she looked to be the runt, and in fact she never did get all that big (JRT sized)

Anyways, Little 'Otie is recuperating from some stitches she required this morning, so I thought I'd add another time-capsule comment to this Methuselahic thread.

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

The Celebrated Opera Reel, followed by Fisher's Hornpipe. Not that Jerusalem Ridge isn't up there as well, but I just don't think of it as a Mandolin Fiddle Tune, n'est-ce pas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afzl3A8o7vE
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Ah yes, another "best" thread. I play hundreds of tunes and have some favorites for sure but what is "best" for one person is overplayed for another. How about what is your favorite or what is truly fun to play?

Lately I have been playing Tomahawk; some Missouri tunes: Bailey's, Brenda's and Salty River Reel; plus a couple of Mississippi old time tunes, Lazy Kate and Leake County Two-Step. Ask me tomorrow and I will give you a completely different answer.

Also, check out this 10 year old thread for some other suggestions.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

"The next one" or "the one I'm working on" is almost always the best one ever.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Rucker For This Useful Post: