Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what's the best fiddle tune ever?

I hate to say it, but I've never bought the idea that Monroe wrote Jerusalem Ridge, even when heard from people who know a whole lot more than I do. The phrasings are so non-Monroe-ish, that its just hard for me to believe he could have come up with them. On the other hand, that tune has Kenny Baker written all over it.

My guess is Monroe came up with the A part, Kenny Baker took it from there and completed the tune, and Monroe called it his own. Pure speculation, of course.

Oh yeah, June Apple is my favorite fiddle tune, though honestly I think it started out as a banjo tune. It's got lyrics, too!

Since the question of authorship of Jerusalem Ridge comes up, errrr, frequently, I scanned this from the booklet with the 1970 - 1979 Bear Box Set. I consider this to be the final word on authorship. I'll keep this for future reference.
    And, for the record, I have the .mp3 clip where Monroe introduces the tune as written by Baker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	authorship2.JPG 
Views:	337 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	5119  

Thank you, Evan! - and RIP Joe Stuart - "The Sideman for all Seasons".

I don't get it Evan. That clip has Monroe saying he wrote the tune. Your mp3 clip has Monroe saying that Baker wrote the tune.

I know Bill Monroe was a complicated man....did he even know who wrote the tune?

Monroe wrote it; I suspect he attributed it to Baker on occassion as a tribute to Baker. I also have a few live recordings where Monaroe says something to the effect that KB will be playing one of his (Monroe's) most popular numbers.

Another vote for Jerusalem Ridge, with a nod to "Whisky before breakfast".....I also like a recording of Belles of Lexington/Forty Miles to Louisville--anyone know where I can find notes for these?
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Not many people know this, but I actually wrote Jerusalem's Ridge (don't tell anybody)

Cuckoo's nest is another good one.

This week my favorite OT tune is Last of Callahan. Close runner ups are Sourwood Mountain, Breaking Up Christmas and Trouble on the Mind. All are in AEAE but I'm playing them tuned down to GDGD.

Seth

I thought Al Gore wrote Jerusalem Ridge.

Of course! - under the "nom de plume" of William Smith Monroe...

Hey, our little trio does "Catfish"- it's got such a groove . Didn't know there were T-shirts.

Second choice has got to be Ashokan Farewell, which I never have been able to memorize fully.

Jenny Lynn- at least for the next 2 weeks while I work on it and take another fiddle lesson.

best
    jgwoods
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

YEAH...Evan & Moose!

That Jenny Lynn is a fine tune also. An excellent version is on Jimmy Campbell's CD 'Pieces of Time'; Bill plays mandolin on that album.

I guess Jenny Lynn was the "greatest of all" according to Monroe, at least when he wrote Uncle Pen

Frank George's wife used to say he'd rather fiddle all day than work; when Frank was asked about it he said he'd rather play Angeline the Baker all day than work.

RIP Jimmy Campbell - If the Master thought enough to record with you...., ya' musta' done somethin' right.

It's my understanding that Kenny Baker wrote Jerusalum Ridge...will report back in a moment when I confirm "the rest of the story"
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

DGW:
    See the above text, copied from an interview of WSM, contained in the Bear Box set.
    Bill is pretty clear about it being his tune.

Evan is right. Monroe wrote Ebeneezer Scrooge and Jerusalem Ridge supposedly in a 45 minute span. He called Baker to come over and hear them. At first Baker didn't want to come over, and Monroe insisted it would be worth his while.

The Monroe episodes of crdeiting Baker were apparently connected with the release of Kenny's album.

Jerusalem Ridge is of one several tunes in which Monroes original composition wandered a bit astray to suit Kenny left hand style and essentially became a "fiddle tune". Ebeneezer Scrooge is an example of one not wandering to fit Kenny, and consequently it remained essentially a mandolin tune.
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

And there you have it! - Kinda' reminds me of something that was said to me several years ago concerning a Louvin Brothers song - "When I Stop Dreaming" - In a conversation with Charlie Louvin several years ago, I asked Charlie what key they did that song in ; he replied "...Ira liked to sing it in "C". Sometime later, in a conversation with a Bluegrass "authority'(!?#), I happened to pass this information on. My Bluegrass "authority" curtly replied "...naaaa, they didn't do that in "C".." - I suggested that the next time I talked with Charlie I'd tell him he(Charlie) told me wrong an' why did he lie to me... - (nuf' said!).

I don't like playing Jerusalem Ridge at a jam because it's one of those tunes where everyone seems to play the melody straight every time through with no embellishments. That bores me to tears, I can't see the point in it. People look at you funny if you play with the melody a little bit, even the phrasing, and even if you played it straight the first time through.

I like Grey Eagle.
    Passernig #42

That's too bad. JR is a very specific melody in all 4 parts, but there is room for personalizing it. Of recorded versions, I can think of Jimmy Gaudreau and Raymond Legere, each plays it straight and funky at the same time, with their own styles very much apparent. Emory Lester actually plays the A and B parts an octave up from their original lines, also a nice variation. One variation I do is on the 4th part, I'll play over the C chord both low and high, adds a little spice to it.

The Gravel Walk
    Catharsis
    Sweet Music International - Instruments, Bow Hair & Luthier Supplies. #Wholesale & Retail.
    http://www.sweetmusicinternational.com/