Thread: Water damage and structural integrity

Default Water damage and structural integrity

I'm repairing/reassembling/rebuilding a fiddle for a colleague. It was in a flood a number of years ago, and was soaked to the point that every single glue joint has been dissolved. It's basically a fiddle kit in an equally dissolved case. The only reason it's all still in one pile is because of the fabric lining of the case, which kept it all together. Sides have straightened somewhat, and when I received it (earlier today) it was still covered in silt.

I'm going to put it back together as a wall hanger, as it used to belong to the grandfather of my colleague, and therefor is sentimentally valued, especially for her mother, but no one expects to be able to play it again. I figure if I'm putting it back together, I should go for making it playable as well, but I'm concerned about the impact on structural integrity of the wood. The spruce neck block has split and seems rather brittle, but I'm not noticing anything in particular in the other parts.

Any input?

Thanks,

Magnus

Default Re: Water damage and structural integrity

I'd say replace the head block and any other parts that are in bad shape, re-bend the ribs, put it all back together (re-graduate the plates if they seem like they'd benefit), restore the finish, and call it a good fiddle. The wood is probably fine if not split or cracked. Heck, some people charge extra for wood that has been soaked in water at the bottom of lakes and such...

If the fiddle was wet for a long time the wood could have been attacked by bacteria and greatly weakened. But if it was wet only long enough to soften the glue it can be very successfully restored. I saw a master violin maker who was restoring a very valuable old instrument. All he had on his workbench was 9 pieces - the top, back, neck and the 6 ribs. He was totally remaking every other part: the 6 blocks, linings, bass bar, fingerboard. When completed it would be considered an original instrument, and the restoration wouldn't be detectable as the varnish would have very minor touch up at the most. So, I say "Go for it". You can probably make it sing again.

Steve

Sounds good. I'll go for a full rebuild. Thank you!

Magnus,

I would highly recommend that you spend a little time on Maestronet.com. Maestronet is THE priemier Forum for all things violin/fiddle. There are many POSTS on repairing violins in much worse condition than the one you describe. I POST on that Forum useing the same username that I am useing here and have participated in many discussions on violin repair and restoration. If you can't find anything useing the search engine, a review of my POSTS will turn up many that are usefull for you situation.

THE BIBLE for violin repair and restoration is:
    "VIOLIN RESTORATION, A Manual for Violin Makers"
    by: Hans Weisshaar and Margaret Shipman

If you order it directly from Margaret, you might get to talk to her directly and she is both a wealth of information and the dearest and most gratious lady you would want to meet.

I don't have her web address handy but she is in the greater Los Angeles area and can be reached at:

1-323-462-7703

Barry
    Never try to teach pigs to dance. It wastes your time and it annoys the pigs.

ca. 1930 Kay A w/ ff holes
    2003 Gibson F9
    A couple of dozen Fiddles

Quick Update

The book "Violin Restoration by Weisshaar/Shipman can be found at:
    www.weisshaarrepairbook.com

or

shipman@weisshRrepairbook.com

or

Margaret Shipman
    PO Box 268
    137 N Larchmont Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90004

or

1-323-426-7703

Oh yea -- I have no financial interest but I do own a copy of "THE BOOK".

Barry
    Never try to teach pigs to dance. It wastes your time and it annoys the pigs.

ca. 1930 Kay A w/ ff holes
    2003 Gibson F9
    A couple of dozen Fiddles