Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1950 Martin 018-T tenor guitar - tempted...

Default 1950 Martin 018-T tenor guitar - tempted...

Ok, so I spent about an hour playing this tenor guitar at my local music shop - I'm sorely tempted to make a rash impulse buy, so I'm searching for either validation or someone to bring me to my senses! Thoughts on the Martin 018-T? Fiscal responsibility combined with a long time hankering for a Fletcher TenorTone tenor guitar are two of the reasons I'm thinking I should pass on it. That plus the fact that the scale length on it is a bigger stretch than I'd like (23 inches vs. the Fletcher TenorTone's 21 inch scale) It sounds awesome and barring the stretch on it the playability is great. I was going to go play it again tomorrow but part of me feels like I should show some resolve and hold temptation at bay...

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Default Re: 1950 Martin 018-T tenor guitar - tempted...

What do they want for it?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

$1200 but it's on consignment and they think the seller would be open to offers. It's in great shape, comes with a faux alligator skin soft case with green velvety lining, also in great nick.

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Jill, far be it from me to discourage you (impulse control has never been my strong suit) -- but didn't you say that the scale length was what turned you off your Silver Bell? I'm nowhere near the musician you are, so maybe it wouldn't be as much of an issue for you -- but I've got a couple unplayed instruments that I bought thinking "I can adjust" . . . Best wishes for your difficult decision!

Exactly! That was initially what I thought to meself when I took it off the wall to play - "No worries about wanting this one since it's got a long scale length..." but then I found it easier to get around on than I anticipated, possibly because I try to consciously not approach it like a tenor banjo as that doesn't take advantage of it's guitar like qualities, so some of the stuff that was tripping me up on the Silver Bell wasn't even an issue on the Martin because I would be employing different techniques for those parts of a tune.....I know, I know, it just sounds like I'm trying to justify my impulse to buy, but going back to the shop to try it out again today will likely help sway me one way or the other. On many occasions I've thought that an instrument, on impulse was a "must have", then sense stepped in and I'd walk away to have a think about it, go back a day or two later and be less impressed/obsessed.

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I know, I know, it just sounds like I'm trying to justify my impulse to buy . . .
    No, it doesn't at all. Sounds eminently rational. I'll be interested to hear what you decide!

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

If the action is low and the condition is good then this is a very good price for a very good instrument. I have a '41 and it is a blast to play.
    If you buy it and don't like it you will always be able to sell it for at least what you have in it and most likely for a profit.

This sounds really nice. I'd be tempted to make an offer if you decide not to get it. If you're sure the scale length is a problem perhaps you shouldn't do it, but even then you'll be able to quickly sell it for what you paid or a little more. Let us know what you decide. I do not need another tenor, but they've taken over my life and I think I actually prefer the 23 inch scale length over the 21 inch scale I started with.
    bruce.b

$1200 or less for a good sounding O18T is a good deal. I've always thought the 23 inch scale sounded better than the 21.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Blog Entries

The Fletcher Tenor Tones are made out near me. I have played more than a few and they are consistently great.

Not trying to complicate things...
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Great feedback lads, more food for thought as I consider what to do - I'm just off out to the shop to play it again so I'll keep you all posted!

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I came close to getting an early '40s 0-18T off the local Craig's List for $1,000. But before I could drive out to get it, the seller decided to consult the blue book, and the price doubled!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Ok, more info on it: I made an offer of $1050, and the gal who's guitar it is (it's on consignment in the shop) won't budge. My offer was inspired by the fact that upon closer inspection there are two small cracks on the top right along the edge of the pickguard, which is shrinking. Guy in the shop who does their guitar repairs told the gal as much but no dice. The neck looks great, straight with the perfect amount of relief. It's very well set up and imminently playable. Oh and I also worked around the scale thing - it's currently tuned CGDA, so I put a capo on the second fret like John Carty does with his CGDA tuned tenor banjo and perfect scale length! So my question - given the cracks on the top/pickguard needing replaced, is $1200 a decent price still? The gal said she might take $1150 .....

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Anyone know if some years or decades are better/worth more as far as 018-T's are concerned?

Just saw this one, that needs some work, over at Elderly for $1650, it has a rosewood fingerboard and the one I'm looking at has ebony...

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/80U-2374.htm

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

The Martin's very likely to hold or increase its value -- especially if you get the pickguard cracks repaired (the curse of Martins of this vintage, as many had "celluloid shrinkage" and resulting stress on the top, like my 1957 D-18) -- so if you buy it, play it for awhile, and decide the long scale or whatever isn't for you, you can almost certainly get your money back.

The Fletcher may be a wonderful instrument -- one hasn't wandered my way yet -- but you're almost certain to take a bit of depreciation on a new guitar. Of course the music is the main consideration, but the money has to be factored in as well.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Great point Allan - I pretty much exclusively bought used instruments in my other life as a guitar player back in the day, so I need reminding about new instruments and depreciation.

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Those pickguard cracks are common and not a huge deal. I bought a '54 0-18t four years ago for $1200 that had a pretty significant pickguard crack AND almost needed a neck reset (has had one since). Never regretted it for one second.

I bought a '51 O 18-T about a year ago from a buddy who needed to sell some stuff to finance some other stuff. I'd never had a tenor guitar before and didn't really know what I'd do with one, but it was soooo cool. The first month or two, I played it alot. After a while though, not so much. It mostly sat in the case for the last few months until I traded it for a '34 Gibson A-1 a couple of weeks ago. Enjoying the mandolin much more. Plus it's one less case to carry when I practice with the guys. Did I mention that the tenor was really cool? If you can use a tenor, O 18-T's are the cat's pajamas. That sounds like a very fair price. I know this doesn't help your decision making progress. That's just my experience with Martin tenors. Might make good trading material down the road. Good luck.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Still to-ing and fro-ing about what to do, guess I'd better figure it out pretty soon or someone else might get there before me! Thanks again for the feedback lads and anyone else reading do feel free to contribute more!

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Well, I got a tenor guitar finally, just not this one! I now FINALLY own a Fletcher Tenor Tone tenor guitar! I was contacted by a cafe member who is local to me who happened to be about to post his one for sale, the price was right and it is now sitting here beside me! I'll post some video clips of it on Monday when I get a day off. The scale length of it is PERFECT - I am so glad that I didn't pull the trigger on the Martin now, hurrah!!!

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Congratulations Jill. Looking forward to some clips.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Jill, just listened to you playing your new to you Fletcher guitar. It sounds great and I really like the tune you're playing. Just the other day I put new strings on my Fletcher to try out CGDA tuning. I'm having a ton of fun with this higher tuning with it's brighter tone. The guitar takes on a different character and sounds great this way also. I still prefer the lower GDAE tuning overall, but I think I'm going to leave the tenortone in CGDA for a while. My other tenor will stay in the low tuning.
    Last edited by bruce.b; Jul-23-2011 at 2:04pm.

Jill, I second Bruce's comments. Your playing is great and the tenor just sings! Good choice.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Thank you lads, you're too kind!

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel