Thread: 5 or 4 string and which one ?? :D

Question 5 or 4 string and which one ?? :D

I was thinking about getting an electric mandolin to start playing some jazz . My only regret on 5-string ones was which way I was going to learn to play them .You know scales chords and everything will be different than the mandolin I have right now .
    Could you help me choose and also tell me model to buy ? :P
    Btw. I leave in Germany so any available option shipping in Europe ?
    Thanks for helping .
    sorry for my english
    Last edited by rwmanos; Jul-07-2011 at 3:12am.

Default Re: 5 or 4 string and which one ?? :D

get a 5 string , if you can play jazz you can easily figure out the extra 7 notes . here is the closest emando i know of to you . scroll down for the five strings . i have no experience with jbovier but they do look nice and are affordable http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/...mandolins.html

what about a Fender FM-60E ?

i have one but prefer to play my ryder which is similar to the jbovier as to having a 14.5 in scale . the fender is only 14 in scale and the low C can take a bit to get used to before you like it . if you can find a fender and the price is right i think they are worth having. the neck is straight the pick ups function well enough . i have heard good things about the almuse pick ups that come stock on the jbovier . i use my fender as a back up 5 string mando when i do gigs , quicker than changing a string

well jbovier is a great mandolin I have played it and it sounds great . But my budget is not more than 500$ which is the price of the fender . I hope to find a better option on these money. Otherwise i'm going to buy the fender.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rico mando View Post
    . i have heard good things about the almuse pick ups that come stock on the jbovier .
    Hey Rico, where did you hear that JBoviers use Almuse pickups? (they certainly don`t to my knowledge.....unless they`re copies of my pickups)!

Yeah, the stock pickup on the JBovier is sourced in Asia, just as the instrument itself is. Although putting an Almuse on a JBovier might not be a bad idea..
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Ok i am definitely getting early onset of senility . i better start including a disclaimer in my posts that i might be loosing my mind . my sincere apologies to you Pete at Almuse and Jeff at jbovier and to you rwmanos for the misinformation . did i mention that i used to go to a lot of Greatful Dead shows.

and martin is right if you find a suitable entry level 5 stringer you should certainly contact Pete (Soundfarmer Pete)for a set of replacement pick ups as soon as you can afford it . (check out his web site too there is some nice custom emando eyecandy there )

again i apologize to all for my error

To any moderators attending this thread - could you please add a correction to post #4 or just delete it all together . i'm sure you have more important things to do than clean up my mess , and i will make a better effort to verify my info before posting in the future .

thanks and sorry

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Hey Rico......no problem........who was it said that "any publicity is good publicity"?

have a modified Gibson A50, with a pickup, a 4 pole stacked humbucker , an EM 150 would be off the peg,
    re strung and slotted for 4 strings.. the hollow body does seem to add warmth ,
    the same string setup on another solid body is different, a bit .. CGDA
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

So... rwmanos ... did you find an instrument?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Pick upa on J Bovier els:
    NEW proprietary designed “JB-53″ pickups are featured on ALL JBovier E-mando models.

The “Neck” & “Bridge” (each different) pickups are rated at approximately 6k each and both have a wider internal “rail” that extends almost to the treble & bass edges of a standard sized “P-bass style” pickup COVER (no external change from original). This allows either 4 or 5 strings to be picked up without the need to install an “oversized” guitar pickup on a mandolin body. Since there will be no “poles”, there will be no issues with strings lining up with the magnetic field or losing output during string bending techniques.

Both “JB-53″s work through the 3-way switch as “single-coils” in neck & bridge switch positions, and then the two become a humbucker in the center switch position. The voice of this center position can be catered to the players taste by raising or lowering the independent pickups.

There was initially much discussion about the need for dual pickups on an E-mando since the pickups are so close together, but honestly, this pickup configuration works even better than I planned. Now that I’ve heard (and am performing with) this configuration, I wouldn’t have it any other way… and all JBovier E-mando customers agree. They sound so good and have so many tonal choices, that they make single pickup E-mandos sound dull and lifeless
    Tone Gard

Is the $500.00 Fender FM60E new or used? I think it's a bit high for a used instrument. It may have some mods that make it more expensive, but if it's stock I think it's too much. In today's world I would expect to pay around $300.00 for a decent used Fender FM60E. I don't want to offend anyone, this is just my opinion. I see them for as much as $400.00 and as little as $200.00 (conditon unkonow). These prices do not include a case. A hardshell case would make it worth more. How much more depends on the case. There's one on ebay right now with a hardshell case. It's currently at $385.00 with a day left on the auction.
    Is it possible to wait and save a little more to get up in the $600.00 to $800.00 price range? Of course, I understand when you want it, you want it now! There's a lot more instruments in that price range. I think I saw a JBovier at Martin's site for about $600.00 Mrmando (Martin) always seems to have nice selection of electric mandolins for sale. I go there and drool on my keyboard regularly.
    As far as playing jazz and scales, just add the notes down to C below your G string. Chords on the other hand are quite a bit different. I struggled with that for some time. After searching a bit I found "The Tenor Mandola Bible." It lists 1728 chords and is very helpful for the 5 string jazz player. It's for CGDA tuning and does not include the high E. You can either play a chord tone on the E string or leave it out. For me this book has been the second most helpful book for playing jazz. Ted Eschliman's "Getting into Jazz Mandolin," being the most helpful.
    Best of luck on getting your electric!! Let us know what you deicde to get.

This is a good 5 stings mandolin, and it's not very expensive, and can easily be upgraded :
    http://www.moongazermusic.com/ba5elmakit.html
    The building is easy, too (the painting is a little bit more difficult if you want a "pro" looking)
    Dιjΰ Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thόringer walddoline-2 Bφhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."