Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Top 50 American Rock Bands of All Time acording to Gibson.com

Default Re: The Top 50 American Rock Bands of All Time acording to Gibson

Beatles, Stones and Zep were not "American Rock Bands". Iconic, but not American. So I would doubt if they can qualify. Neil Young, mentioned above, is Canadian. So I don't think he'll make the cut either.

Shoot! Beaten to my only "worthy" contribution on the `Cafe ever. Oh well. I'll shut up and go back to lurking.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merlopj View Post
    Nirvana just doesn't have the catalog to make top 5.
    I was thinking of other stuff they don't have ... but nevermind. I don't think catalog is much consideration if Big Star is on the list, with two records.

American might still mean North American, and thus include Canadian - but I doubt it. Neil Young has been living in the US for so long he might be included. Same with the Brits in Fleetwood Mac. The Band, on the other hand was originally 80% Canadian, despite being based in the US. Maybe in the final post they will revgeal their decision-making process. Maybe ...

BTW, my little mostly acoustic trio got a request for Grand Funk Railroad Monday night. Forgot about them - they were pretty big once. And they did have that one iconic hit song, "We're An American Band." Might be a dark horse candidate there ... NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Schmidlin View Post
    ... Rock On Alvin Lee and Ten Years After
    Back, so soon? It's only been a month or so ... Anyway, welcome back, but another British band.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Well; this is how I spent my lunch hour today (see thread about internet forum addiction )
    Here's my list of the Top 10 American (US) Bands. I'll be curious to see how close this is to the top of Gibson's list.
    (Note: This list is subject to change based on my mood and whims)
    1. Aerosmith
    2. The Eagles
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. The Beach Boys
    5. REM
    6. The Doors
    7. Allman Brothers Band
    8. The Ramones
    9. The Band
    10.Creedence Clearwater Revival
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Hey this is fun Ed. Here's my tops:

My No. 1 would be The Band, but since this is a cold "Rock" list...forget it.

Talking Heads
    Doors
    Velvet Undergrouind
    Ramones
    Nirvana
    MOI
    Beach Boys
    The Dead

(I begrudgingly relent to Aerosmith and the Eagles at 9 & 10...I'm sure they've sold more than anyone ...but I think Ed's right about CCR being on there)

Eagles? My number one. Just my opinion. Should be top 5 at least.
    I blame Cher for a lot of things.
    "Is that the banjo player's Porsche?"

After further ponderance (and my theory of global influence or impact via innovation or strong stylistic treatment), I'm withdrawing Aerosmith (because I personally couldn't stand hair rock after age 16...but also because I think there were others more globally influential (while perhaps not as commercially successful) in this style: viz, The New York Dolls and Van Halen. If the category "Rock" is flexible, then definitely Prince, possibly Sly and the Family Stone, maybe even Santana, but most certainly the Americanized Fleetwood Mac.

But we'll probably see the usual fare, Tom Petty, CSNY, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, ad inf.. ... which is why I turned to jazz at 16

Oh...I read the OP and see the list is given through 20. So far, most of my tops haven't yet been included--so I think it's pretty good. My MOI pick has been played...but that was just my sleeper pick/personal favorite. Although I'm surprised Talking Heads are so low

Now, I can see it'll be Prince, Nirvana, Van Halen, Santana, VU, Dolls, and the obvious Doors, Beach Boys, CCR, Eagles, Ramones, Aerosmith...and apparently flexible enough to permit The Band. Heaven help us if it comes to CSNY...might as well throw James Taylor in up there!..

And I'm sure you'all are right that Pearl Jam and REM will be...but I can't relate. I mean come on, global influence/impact? Does this stuff play outside the US? I'd rather listen to Beastie Boys

well,i for one am glad to see "Mountain" made the cut..(not that i follow these "hero list's"..) but Grand Funk best be on here...and Zappa should be much higher on the list...
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

This is fun, isn't it. Where have these lists been all my life? I'm looking forward to the top 20

But Grand Funk...no way! I loved them...aren't they a Detroit area band?...Grand Trunk and all that. But I never saw them...used to like em though. Wasn't Mark Farner the proto Flea?

Look, I'm no hip hoppa, but Eminem is more global than Mark, Don, and Mel. Like, I think Bob Seeger is going to have limited/regional interest

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Oh...I read the OP ...
    Wow - nine posts in ... ... better late than never!

VU, Dolls - not in this America. But dang - I can't believe I forgot Santana and Creedence! It's just that there were SO many great bands in the late 60s, hard to remember all of them.

Yes, Grand Funk was from Detroit, as was Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band. Neither of them are going to be in the Top 20, nor deserve to be, but Mitch Ryder And The Detroit Wheels ought to be - but won't, either. Probably just Alice Cooper representing The Motor City. I wouldn't say Mark Farner was the proto-Flea - he was the guitarist, but I guess if you are referring to his habit of playing shirtless ... well, then, OK. But no one before Flea played in his underwear, except for someone in Funkadelic, who played in a diaper, right? Hey - are they going to be on the list?

Heavens to Murgatroyd - I would be thrilled beyond belief if they include Little Feat. Heck, make them #1.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

wow, there's way too much to talk about in this topic

Hey JB, Grand Funk Railroad was actually from Flint, MI which is over an hour north of Detroit. It's nice to hear all the props for Michigan bred rock and roll, as well as whatever spaceship Funkadelic got off too. We certainly take the term "Detroit Rock City" to heart around here.

But I have to give a big +1 to Little Feat deserving a spot on the list too. I guess we're lucky that Frank Zappa wasn't "willin" to keep Lowell George in the Mothers of Invention - and the rest as they say, is history.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Blog Entries

Oh, OK. Sorry. Shows how much I paid attention to them back then ... or now.

I thought Frank thought Lowell was too good to be in the Mothers and suggested (so to speak) he start his own band. However it happened, glad he did. Great little band.

Looking over people's suggestions, it's clear the list is not going to please a lot of us. There isn't enough room for all these bands. I am torn between anticipation and dread, waiting for the next announcement.

Blog Entries

I do hope that Queens of the Stone Age make the top 20.
    Those young men can rock hard.
    This is one of my favorite live TV rock performances ever (sorry, no MC):

Oh, and speaking of bands from Detroit, Wayne Kramer and MC5 certainly deserve some consideration.

And, as an Ohio boy, I too am pulling for The Black Keys to place high.

Fun stuff.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

After looking at the bands offered by you guys it became obvious to me why I listened to almost exclusively British Rock when I was kid. The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Who, Cream ... even the Hendrix Experience were 2/3 British!!!

Exclamation Re: The Top 50 American Rock Bands of All Time acording to Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Nirvana will score high--they saved rock from techno ()

Pearl Jam is a Nirvana knock-off, but apparently a huge commercial success (sort of like U2 in the "prog" realm)

Can't say that I've ever sat through a Metallica song (I quit when I was 16), but I'm told they are the "quality" metal act.
    I'd say Nirvana saved rock from garbage glam metal, not techno....and I CRINGE at "Pearl Jam is a Nirvana knock-off".....they sound nothing alike. While I like both bands, Kurt played some basic power chords for less than a decade and checked out, while Pearl Jam will soon be approaching a quarter century of genuine rock. I would call Nirvana maybe the 4th best band out of their CITY at the time.....Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice In Chains all being far, far more talented than Nirvana.

Most talented guy in Nirvana by the way is on there with the Foo Fighters.
    The Loar LM500
    Trinity College Octave
    Taylor 114ce
    Martin D12X1AE 12-string
    1980 Ovation Grand Balladeer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Piles O' Pennywhistles/Low Whistle

Yes, I forgot Parliament! And Feat, and Spirit too.. But, I still say VU will be top 20 (I have to amend my list somewhat now that I see what's been done, and that we must leave room for obvious top 10ers -- Springsteen and all that.. )

Quote Originally Posted by Phil1580 View Post
    I'd say Nirvana saved rock from garbage glam metal, not techno....and I CRINGE at "Pearl Jam is a Nirvana knock-off".....they sound nothing alike.
    Not that sounding quite alike is exactly the crux of it, but cringe you must! True, they were anti-glam, but there was abundant garbage metal in their music too. Techno is the more dominant trend--that rock needed saved from...

Talent, and all that, is not particularly germane to the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Oh, and speaking of bands from Detroit, Wayne Kramer and MC5 certainly deserve some consideration.
    We loved our MC5! My friends all liked Ted Nugent, I always dressed like Seeger--T shirt, jeans and chucks. Ever watch the Ghoul, Ed?...there in Parma

The Band
    Doors
    Byrds
    Beach Boys
    Velvet Underground
    Ramones
    CCR
    Springsteen
    Jefferson Airplane
    Aerosmith
    Eagles

Prince, Van Halen, Fleetwood Mac, Santana, Little Feat, Dolls

Don’t really know Metallica, but I guess they must be on there
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jun-30-2011 at 7:23am.

Blog Entries

Today Gibson released bands #20 through #11 on the list.
    Pearly Jam #18?! The Eagles #13?!
    Not only did I watch the Ghoul, I am old enough to be able to say I watched Ghoulardi as a kid!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Wait wait! I just put up my final 20! Shoot I forgot Pearl Jam and REM and Nirvana... Wait!

Okay, take off Little Feat and NYD and put in Nirvana, PJ, REM

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Today Gibson released bands #20 through #11 on the list.
    Pearly Jam #18?! The Eagles #13?!
    Not only did I watch the Ghoul, I am old enough to be able to say I watched Ghoulardi as a kid!
    I was only two off with the Eagles!

Ovaday! YOu musta been hip Ed...I was a babe watching Friendly Giant on CBC

OMG, how could we have forgotton the Stooges!!!

Okay, well now I'm not happy. What is Guns and Roses?
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jun-30-2011 at 7:43am.

Buddy Holly! He should be much higher on this list. He created the template that everyone else followed. Glad to see Guns N Roses there, but a little worried about The Black Keys now. Somehow I don't think Gibson likes them as much as I do.

Blog Entries

Well, now with only ten slots open, and having seen what has gone on so far, here is my list of bands mentioned so far that are NOT going to make it:

Jefferson Airplane
    Quicksiiver Messenger Service
    Big Brother And The Holding Company
    Steppenwolf
    Moby Grape
    13th Floor Elevators
    Government Mule
    The Stray Cats
    Poco
    Flying Burrito Brothers
    Pure Prairie League
    Manassas
    Kansas
    The Black Keys
    The James Gang
    The McCoys
    Queens Of The Stone Age
    New York Dolls
    Steve Miller Band
    Jimmy Buffett And The Coral Reefer Band
    The Beach Boys
    Fleetwood Mac
    Pretenders

Probably gonna be there:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Bruce Springsteen And The E Street Band
    Neil Young And Crazy Horse
    The Band
    The Byrds
    Little Feat (still hoping)
    Allman Brothers Band
    Boston
    Metallica
    Aerosmith
    REM
    The Ramones
    Nirvana
    Van Halen

Yes, I know that is more than ten. But look at all they have left off the list so far. They are not pacing themselves too well. The first three may not make it for being perceived as solo acts - which is totally off base. These are/were organic entities, truly interactive, and filled with extremely talented musicians who worked together and produced a distinctive sound, indeed, variety of sounds. (Just how are these people defining band, anyway?) Then again, they included Buddy Holly And The Crickets, and then proceeded to rave on about Buddy's achievements ... Some bands, like The Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac, and JBATCRB, may be perceived as too pop (though we have already seen Talking Heads, The Lovin’ Spoonful, and Yo La Tengo); some may be perceived as too non-American (Pretenders, Mac again, The Band, Neil Young) - though if they do not include Seattle-born Jimi Hendrix, the greatest and best rock guitarist of all time, it throws the whole list into question. Well, it already is. And I am trying to hold out hope for Little Feat.

BTW - the selection committee: "We enlisted the talents of Gibson.com’s editorial and writing staff, along with you, the readers, to weigh in ... Votes for the Top 50 Covers* of All Time were included from Michael Wright, Bryan Wawzenek, Andrew Vaughan, Sean Patrick Dooley, Cesar Acevedo, Paul Burch, Arlen Roth, Ted Drozdowski, Russell Hall, Peter Hodgson, Anne Erickson, Michael Leonard, Paolo Bassotti and the Gibson.com Readers Poll."

Readers! That explains SO much! Like how some bands got included, and why the field is skewed toward newer bands.

* Assuming this is not a typo, this must refer to the representative album covers. Not sure these are the same people voting for the bands, though their names do appear in the reviews.

Well, Brian Wilson is an American icon, and the Beach Boyz will be Top 10. If Jefferson Airplane hasn't yet been mentioned, they'll be Top 10 too. Looks like Pretenders will be there too, unless they've been previously mentioned. So, obviously Springsteen, Nirvana, Byrds, Band makes 7.

Difficult to pick the last 3...surprised my VU went so low. Maybe the Dolls will be there! Oh, Ramones, Aerosmith...one more. I'd rather see the Dolls than Aerosmith, since the latter were a knock-off of the former. Guess it's a toss up between Prince, Van Halen, Fleetwood Mac, Santana for the last spot--quite a mix.

Sorry, no Feats

Ee gadz...forgot REM must be up there, though I would put them around 28 or so..

Are both of Hendix's bands Brit/US hybrids? I was thinking Band of Gypsies was a US project, but of course Santana's first two albums probably trajected them above BOG

Well, I'll stay with my 10...although I'm a little sketchy about Airplane...I wouldn't be surprised if Eminem or Spinal Tap supplant them (but let's see, Tap was British, right? )

Blog Entries

Eminem is a solo act, and Prince may be perceived so also, though Prince And The Revolution could be included. Band Of Gypsies still had Mitch Mitchell on drums - but who's counting? And how? I'm surprised VU are on the list at all, same as The Stooges. Hardly technically proficient. Then again, they showed you didn't have to be super-talented or tight to have a good band, and The Ramones continued in this vein. Forget about the Dolls - ain't happenin'.

Spinal Tap - not only British, they were fictional! Disqualified! So is Sweetwater, from "Almost Famous." Too bad - both kick-ass bands.