Thread: New Allison Krauss

Default New Allison Krauss

Check out the new Allison Krauss and Union Station CD, "Paper Airplane". I think the song "Dimming of the Day" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Default Re: New Allison Krauss

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Check out the new Allison Krauss and Union Station CD, "Paper Airplane". I think the song "Dimming of the Day" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
    I saw them live at the Louisville Palace 3 weeks ago and they were fantastic. Thought Dan Tyminski was playing a Gibson but someone here corrected me and said he played an Apitus? Ron Block played mandolin on one song.

There is absolutely no degradation between there studio and live performances.

Unlike some of the "big arena" rock acts I'd see as a kid. Sometimes I couldn't pick up what song they were playing until the chorus!

I believe Dan T has been playing a Daley lately...

Dimming of the Day is a wonderful tune. Check out the original by Richard and Linda Thompson...or any of the many recorded versions by Richard Thompson. AKUS is no doubt an amazingly talented group of musicians but to my ear they inexplicably lack fire as a unit most of the time. Guess I'm a bigger fan of the first three Alison Krauss records...she's a wonderfully talented player that somehow just lost me for the most part over the years. I suppose the shining moments for me with this group are when the show gets turned over to Tyminski or Douglas. Richard and Linda Thompson just bleed all over this song...their marriage was breaking up as they recorded it and the emotion of the tune comes through far more on their recording than on Paper Airplane (my opinion only of course).

flatpickr....thanks for the tip on the original of the song. I didn't know about it.

I first heard "Dimming Of The Day" recorded by Herb Pederson and Chris Hillman a few yrs ago. Its on one of their Cd's. Always thought it was a great tune.

They will be on Conan O'Brien tonight