Thread: 1920's Strad-O-Lin?? A little help?

Default 1920's Strad-O-Lin?? A little help?

Hey Gang,
    So I'm posting this to see if, based on anyone else's experience, anyone might have any more info specifically on older strad-o-lin mandolins to help give me a better idea on what I should be looking for in terms of replacement parts ... value, etc.

I got it from my future father-in-law who got it used at a pawn shop in 1958. Now structurally the instrument is totally sound. There are no cracks or missing pieces or wood, no water damage and in fact, it plays like a dream. The finish however is in rough shape. (Pictures posted below) I have all the original hardware except for two things, the tailpiece cover and the tuners only had 3 knobs (though all the machines turned just fine using only my fingers) So, I replaced the tuners with some I found that were made to fit older mandolins and sure enough they did (no new screw holes or anything) but I'm looking to replace with something more "period" only I have no idea when between the 20's - 50's it was made and I'd like the peg that down. So if anyone can look at the pics and maybe share whatever knowledge they have, it'd go a long way with me.

Whats weird is the shape and design of the headstock scripting. I've seen a lot of bodies from that whole time period that look almost exactly like what I have except for the headstock inlay. Other miscelanious things about it, the neck is in great shape, no major warping of any kind. (I have everything intonated and it sounds great) It's actually the only place where the finish looks great. The fretboard is nice and smooth although it looks like someone spilt something on the first fret and someone cleaned the headstock with soap and water which has obviously dulled the finish of the black.

So here's some pics:

You can see that there are some scratches but there are no cracks in the wood at all. (that deep scratch near the left f hole bothers me for sure but structurally, it's sound.)

So notice that the script is not arched but on an angle. Does that indicate a particular time frame?

the original bridge. I want to replace it with a stronger one from the period. The screws are pretty rusty and the adjusting rings don't go as high as they could (I don't want them to but I like having the option haha) although its totally functional, You'll also notice that on the bass side of the saddle, there is a small "chunk" of the saddle missing which is a little weird since none of the strings sit there. Like I said, it works just like it should but I'd just like something a little stronger to play with and keep the original if I ever wanted to sell it.

So again, any indicators that might help peg down the instrument's age, at least to the decade would be fantastic.

Also, there are two "phantom" string guides both on the saddle and the nut with one between the G & D strings and the other between the A and E strings any ideas as per why?

Default Re: 1920's Strad-O-Lin?? A little help?

Up in the menu line above you'll see an item titled Social Groups. Go there and join the Strad-O-Lin group. You'll see dozens of these mandolins. Some of these have a date inside on the top that you can read with a dental mirror and a flashlight. Nobody knows for sure who made these mandolins as the company that owned the name had them built. They were a marketing company. It looks like yours might have some issues with the top. The bridge isn't original, the tailpiece cover you are looking for is a Waverly Cloud tailpiece. They come up here in the classifieds and on eBay now and again. The date would probably be 30's-40's if I was to guess but again, the date "might" be inside. It's not always there. On the social group you should be able to find a similar instrument and get an idea of the type of tuners.

Here's a link to the Strad-O-Lin Social Group.

Default Re: 1920's Strad-O-Lin?? A little help?

Thanks Mike! Yeah the top really isn't pretty but she plays great so, I dunno. So thanks for the info and I'll keep you posted if I find a date.