Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Britches

The first rendition of Leather Britches has been uploaded by ADM (Alan Meijer)Thanks Alan, I'm sure that will inspire the rest of us, well done!

<a href="http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UIGSQZLp2rmCXCzyE6ImAen8pjLOALgNv78UKQi770_YkNiUj-Xpd6bgQKrEHeZQqZ9PN_v4hVmqilqStdaTi6975G
    k5stfP/ADM-leather.mp3" target="_blank">Yahoo group</a>
    Roger - fiddlegit

im working on it, i got the first part down afer a bit but stalled on the second part
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Mostly done with my recording - keeping an improvised B part on the rails is a little tricky.

D.H.

thanks roger. it was simple and it was my first take. but I haven't participated in this group for about 3 months (pre-Tenn Blues), and I missed it. so i wanted to get something down. if i have time, get ambitious, and happen to pull it off, I'll juice it up a bit.

Good luck to all. Can't wait to hear more.....

By the way, when LB won, I was 'thinking' Banjalin, and was pretty excited...great tune that is (aka Busy Fingers)
    Alan

Good work Alan.

I always look forward to the first upload, especially if I am not familiar with the tune. They just don´t really come alive in those MIDIs, do they.
    Somehow the tune makes sense to me when played on a real mandolin. Or fiddle. Or guitar, xylofon, tuba....you name it.

I hope I can find the time to do this one before Christmas.

Søren

My upload didn't work - got the "Failed to find the "nothing" line (&#92;n&#92;n)! Premature end of script headers." Is there a fix for that?

So my MP3 is on my music page:

http://users.manchester.edu/Facstaff...musicindex.htm

However, I'm not sure this one will be a good way to learn the melody.

dave,

i had an error too, so I uploaded it to the Yahoo site (and since there was no folder for it, I just left it 'out in the open', and craig must have moved it...)

ADM
    Alan

Just put a copy on the Yahoo site, too.

D.H.

Great job planetcology (david hicks?). Sounds great. What a sound.
    Alan

It´s amazing what you can do with an old folky tune, David!
    One thing for sure: You´ve really got your own way of doing things around here.

I like it!

Søren

yeah, I like David's version too, good picking, good music. Though I hardly recognised it as Leather Britches. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, just commenting on my inability to recognise a tune when done in an unfamiliar way.
    Roger - fiddlegit

I took my version from the Fiddler's Fakebook (but there are many versions of this tune, some of which don't sound too much alike). #My initial statements of the A and B parts are pretty close to the fakebook. #However, I'm using a slow tempo for a fiddle tune, and I'm playing (well, trying to play) swing time rather than straight 8's, so even the parts where I'm trying to be literal are a little tweaky.

The reason I took off in the direction I did with this tune is that the A part reminds me of some of the riff-based swing tunes. #Also, those long stretches on the I chord suit themselves to some chord subs, so the western swing approach seemed to fit that concept. #My improv approach was more chordal than melodic, so the more recognizable parts got left behind fairly quickly.

Blog Entries

I've been ripped off! Stolen from! David's Leather Britches--as nice as it is--seems to be a bit like my submission for last months' Bill Cheatam. I went ahead and put it in a minor key, but the similarities are there. Please review DawgCheatsam:

http://homepage.mac.com/richter30/iMovieTheater35.html

I demand satisfaction!!!

Jim

Well, I was definitely satisfied with Bill in a minor key - LOL is a net cliche, but I really was amused (in a very positive way) when I heard your take on ole Bill. #And Leather Britches isn't exactly my first excursion into II/V/I land as far as Mando Project tunes go.

Hey all!
    Its great to start to hear the fruits of our labors this month. I just added my version to the Yahoo site. It is great fun to hear all the different directions such a tried and true standard can go! I cant wait to hear more.
    My WWW Home | Prester John Duo | New American Mandolin Ensemble
    "So Much Music, So Little Time!"

Excellent job david miller. What have you all got in that mix? Do it all yourself? Awesome.

Alan

Thanks Alan -
    My favorite background trick is to record the guitar track twice, playing essentially the same thing, and then pan one hard left and one hard right. For this recording I also did a third guitar, capo'ed up and more rhythmic (the backbeat) and finally did my mando and fiddle. I am glad you enjoyed it!

This is just plain beautiful, Mr. Miller!

I love that Irish twist, and I´m going to save your controbution to my harddesk and start STEALING!
    Your "setup" is working nicely, and you do a fine job on the guitar(s) too.

I thought I was going to do an Irish version of LB, but I guess you just did the ultimate Irish this month.
    (Well, I´ll just steal your version and do a Christmas Carrol next time).

Love it!

Søren

plantecology04,

i've misplaced your mp3 for Leather Britches!! can you e-mail it to me or re-post it at Yahoo! Groups?

sorry . . .

thanks

craig

sbarnes, what a merry song you make of it! You got that simple (don´t get this wrong) touch of the tune that I like so much. What I mean is that you´re not drowning it in ornamentation. Nice tempo too.
    You and the other guys that have been uploading sofar have all helped me like this tune - which I didn´t much at first.

Søren/sjusk

I just uploaded my attempt at Leather Britches. A little ragged (it was late last night), but I was encouraged that I could stumble here and there and still stay more or less on track. I am playing my new Wiens F5, far more instrument than I deserve, but an inspiration to keep practicing.

collings470,

i just love you rendition of this song. having lived in ireland for 5 years i'm very partial to that irish rhythm. very, very well done! you've inspired me.

craig

Craig,
    Thank you for your kind words! I am glad that one who knows the Emerald Isle recognized my attempt to pay tribute to the rich music of that country. So far (to my sadness) I have only made the trip to Ireland in spirit - but maybe one day......
    And believe me.... it is the recordings I have listened to through this site that give me the inspiration to try my own versions of these tunes. Keep up the tremendous work!

Where are all the versions of Leather Britches? With 14 votes I thought there would be more! It still November and not too late.

Ken, I vote for yours as the best so far. Really like your playing.

There are very few ones, yeah. I have an excuse, I've been away and then I've mostly played Irish tunes on the fiddle (but I promise I'll come up with something eventually).

I really like the tune and before my vacation I started working on it, just that I had this hunger to learn more Irish music when I got home.........
    I'll be there. Later..I have a few days left..