Thread: Brian Oberlin - Solo Swing

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Brian Oberlin - Solo Swing

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Brian Oberlin - Solo Swing
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001359.shtml

"Solo Swing" is a new project from Brian Oberlin, Music Director of the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra and host and founder of the River of the West Mandolin Camp.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jun-04-2011 at 10:25pm.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Brian Oberlin - Solo Swing

I coundn't decide whether to post this comment or buy the CD first! This is wonderful jazz mandolin. I have everything Jethro ever recorded, most of Don Stiernberg's albums, Will Patton, Paul Glasse, Grisman with Martin Taylor, etc. This will go on my Jazz Mandolin CD shelf with them - and hold its own. I play jazz mando in the Philadelphia area. This is what I wish I sounded like!
    1987 Flatiron A-5 Artist "Woody"
    2003 Weber Gallatin F "Phaedrus"
    1921 Gibson A-2 "Lily"

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm totally loving this CD. Great singing, but Brian's unaccompanied breaks are both a joy to listen to and a treasure chest of improv ideas just waiting to explore on your own. You can always hear where he is in the changes, even without bass or rhythm instruments. He seamlessly moves between lead and rhythm with taste and style, all in support of the songs.

Great stuff!

Larry

I highly recommend this album. An excellent demonstration of the mandolin's versatility, and Brian's performace (singing and playing) is top-notch throughout.

Blog Entries

Fantastic! What remarkable tone he's getting.
    I'm sure his tone comes mostly from his fine technique, but does anyone know what he's playing? Here is a delightful video of one of the songs off of this album...Is that a Collings MF5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLb5eoJxA3M
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Thank you all for the nice comments on the album. The truth is I went into the studio on a rainy, Portland Tuesday in December, 2010 and tried to record the album. I played for three unsuccessful hours; and it felt like attempting to pry music from a can with no can-opener, knife, or even a rock. It was pitiful, I left the studio dejected. I came back the next day and recorded the entire album within 3 hours and most of the keepers were the first takes. Must have been the shot of espresso. ?

Ed, I play a 2006 Collins MF5V. My only purchase from E-bay.

This album is a double album. The other is the same thing except swinging Christmas tunes. Set for release in October 2011.