Thread: Gibson A5

Default Gibson A5

Hows it going lads?

Long time lurker here and first time poster, been playing away at the mandolin for over a year now, improving slowly but surely! Meant to sign up to the cafe a long time ago but kinda intimidated by the depth of a lot of posters knowledge! (Intimidated in a good way!!)

Anyway Im just wondering would any of you be able to help with info on the Gibson A5/A5L - one has come up for sale here in the UK where Im working at the mo, link here:

http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/gibs...ed-p-2342.html

Im wondering is this a A5L and is this a good price for this mandolin (by the way ignore the description as it does not come with a pickguard, it is as pictured)

I see there was one at the mandolin store but it was slightly different - it had no back binding, and it would make the one above seem very expensive!

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idProduct=8903

But then there's an A5L at Janet Davis:

http://www.janetdavismusic.com/a-5l.html

Which would make the one I saw in the UK seem reasonably priced!

Tis all very confusing for a relative beginner like me! So any help from you folks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Default Re: Gibson A5

Here is a link to the current model "A-5" on Gibson's own web site. They list for just under US$4,000 and dealers typically sell them new for a few hundred less.

Click on the link to see a picture and description. I suspect the 1998 one they're selling is quite similar in specification. If so, they are asking pretty much the new A-5 price for a 10+ year old one. Accounting for the typical UK/Euro price premium that may or may not be acceptable.

I for one would not buy a used instrument from a merchant that shows a photograph of an entirely different model instead of the one for sale. If it turns out to have any "issues" at all that price would be a very poor deal. I'd think you could find a current model A-5 for at most a few hundred quid more, if that.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

In 1998, the A5-L had a flowerpot inlay. The A5-G had a fleur-de-lis inlay.

Thanks for the reply Brent, appreciate that

I was onto the shop in question, the one in the pictures is the actual A5 they have for sale, it is the description thats wrong

Gibson mandolins are few and far between over here, not readily available so this would be a rare enough opportunity to get one, though I obvioulsy dont want to pay over the odds either!

Thanks again for your help

Thanks Ahollan,

Just something isnt adding up because the one the shop is selling has binding on the back and this A5G from 1998 doesnt?

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idProduct=8875

In any case it seems very expensive in comparison!

In 1998, Gibson moved mandolin production from Montana to Tennessee. You are looking at an A-5. The A-5G designation was dropped at the time of the move.

In summary, the 1998 you are looking at has a fleur-de-lis inlay. It is a Nashville A-5, not an A-5L.

I have a Montana-built A-5G from 1992. It looks exactly like the one in the photo, so since the photo matches the actual instrument for sale what you're looking at is what was called "A-5G" during the Montana days and "A-5" when it got to Nashville.

There were changes made upon arriving in Nashville. I'm not sure of the exact timing. Certainly a couple of years later the graduations of the top and the neck and such had been updated. If this one is labeled 1998 it may be one of the ones under construction before the move that were finished up as soon as they got to Nashville. That's not necessarily a bad thing but by some folk's reckoning it might be less desirable than either an A-5G from a couple years earlier or a A-5 from a couple years later.

The price seems quite dear in my opinion. Places in USA like Elderly sell the early-90's ones in good but not perfect condition for around US$1,500-US$1,750 and if shopping in America I myself would not give any more than that for a 1998 move-to-Nashville one. But it's probably a very nice mandolin, I certainly like my 1992 A-5G a lot!
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

Check out what Trevor at TAMCO has to offer if it's possible geographically. He's made a point of carrying many American made instruments and has a reputation for being honest to deal with, at least on this forum. He'll have many different mandolins to try out, which is good when you're considering spending this amount of money...you definitely want to spend it on one that's a "keeper."

Even if you end up buying the A-5 you linked us to, trying as many as you can before leaping will lead to a more informed decision, and hopefully great satisfaction in the purchase!

Good luck...
    Chuck

I'd second what Chuck says - TAMCO is a great day out even if you come away without buying anything (which is a bit of a challenge in itself) Trevor tends not to stock new Gibson Mandolins these days although there is a "New - Old Stock A5L" on his website at £3,250 which looks to me far better than the one at Cranes.

You can't easily make comparisons between US Gibson prices and UK Gibson prices as you're more likely to find shops selling rocking horse poo in the UK. Apart from this one, I can't remember when I last saw a Gibson offered for sale new, they just don't come along that often. Second hand, maybe - and usually at TAMCO, alongside all the other great instruments Trevor has for sale.

Thanks for all the great advice everybody, its really appreciated

I see TAMCO have a used A5L for sale but its £3,250 which is well out of my price range unfortunately! (Posted this at the same time Ray! Sorry! Yea must try and get down to Brighton some weekend and check out Trevors shop)

If you give me a call I might be able to help. 07790 908535.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

I had a 1999 A5L that was a great sounding mandolin. I think I paid $2250 for it used and sold it for about $2000.
    It sounded great but the neck on that mando was tiny and eventually I had to admit to myself that despite the great tone I couldn't play that neck.
    By tiny I don't just mean narrow in width (1 1/16) but also in depth. It didn't work for me at all.
    It is something that you should consider,,, I think you should go to Trevors store and play everything that you can get your hands on and then go home and think about it.
    At this price point there are lots of variations and you want to educate yourself a bit in order to avoid making an expensive mistake.
    The other thing I have learned is that there will always be another one if this one slips away,,,, don't rush into it thinking that this is your only opportunity. It isn't.

This is probably instant identification for you. I believe this instrument was built in Nashville by Gibson, not long after moving their gear from Montana. I would certainly attempt to locate an A5-L built in Montana vs. those built in the next few years, as many were just not up to par. Regardless, I personally would not pay the asking price for any Gibson A5-L, regardless of where it was constructed or who may have signed the label.

I also had a 2001 A5L which I purchased new for $2475.00. It had decent tone but did not have the punch or cut through volume I was looking for so after a year or two I traded it off. It was a beautiful mandolin. Nice curly maple & lots of flame.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
    I have a Montana-built A-5G from 1992.
    I have a 1992 also (Steve Carlson label). I used to think it was loud until I got the Brock. Nothing like A-B comparison to really tell.

Mine's still got light-gauge strings on it, similar to what it had when it came to me. Since it's my "second" or "back-up" instrument I'm kind of digging being able to zip around the fretboard like a real player because the strings are light and the action's low. But it can't really take much in the way of hard picking without string slap set up like that. I can say it's pretty responsive in that it still gets plenty of sound played lightly but it wouldn't want to get in a shouting match with my Mike Black A-5 by any means.

One day soon I'll try real strings on there and see what it'll do. I figure if I ever go to a bluegrass jam session for some reason I'll put mediums on there, raise the action a bit and take the Gibson just for the credibility bonus. Hopefully they won't look past the headstock to notice I can't play hardly any of the four-finger chords! I think I can count on my buddy Lou not to say "Hey, look at this guy...he don't know none of our chords".
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

Thanks again for all the help folks - I only have intermittent access to the internet so this is the first time Ive been on all week

Really appreciate the advise!

Thanks Trevor also, I will give you a call over the next few days