Thread: Daigo Marumoto

Question Daigo Marumoto

Hi everyone!

Recently, I came across this:

Daigo Marumoto - Azzurro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AuLkH3GNNc
    (Sorry, embedded video didn't show up...)

I love it! I would really like to learn to play this piece, but I have some difficulties finding sheet music for it. I was hoping someone over here could help me out. Any info on the composer in general, other pieces and this particular one will be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Nele

Default Re: Daigo Marumoto

I found this blog. Then there is a link here to sheet music.

I do not read Japanese but tried Google translate. Of course, we don;t know what this piece is called.

Oh, here is Mr. Marumoto's site and a translation.

Here is the embedded video:

Last edited by Jim Garber; May-29-2011 at 10:17am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Wow, Great Jim! Thanks a lot! I didn't think of trying google translate...
    So I found an ordering form for the sheet music, but it seemed to be available only in Japan. I filled in a contact form on the website to ask if it's also available abroad. Hope to hear something back soon!

Nele

The page for ordering sheet music is this. The form is basically set up for Japanese names and addresses. If anyone would like, I could help you out with it.

To give you an idea of the prices, the music at the top are 7,350 yen (US$90 or 64 Euro) and the ones at the bottom are 1,050 yen (US$13 or 9 Euros).

There is a contact form on the website here, also somewhat limited to Japanese names and addresses. I can explain it in detail to anyone interested. The top drop-down menu should be set to number 6, for Marumoto Daigo (丸本大悟).

He also has sheet music for sale on another website and in a few music stores, if you are interested.

The music in question, Azzurro, being 6,300 yen (55 Euros or US$78 ).

Auwtch, guess that's more than I want to spend on a sheet of paper (so to say).

Anyway, thanks a lot for helping me out with the Japanese language and currency, baiyongjie!

Nele

I'm sorry it is so expensive, Nele. Anytime you find something from Japan, I would be happy to help. Unfortunately, everything here but tofu is expensive! (I don't know how much tofu costs in other countries, so maybe it is not so cheap here after all...)

Last year we had the opportunity to buy some scores from Mr. Marumoto, including the Azzurro in both the solo and orchestra A and B versions, but I don't think they were that much expensive. Anyway, here is another recording of the solo version:

Baiyongjie, I'll be sure to contact you whenever I have another Japan-related question, it's wonderful to have people from all over the world over here! I really appreciate your helpfulness, thanks again! BTW, tofu (200g) costs around 2-3 euro's over here.

Élio, thanks for this wonderful version of Azzurro, enjoyed it a lot! And I didn't know there was a orchestra version as well.

I did found this one:

It seems to me as if it were from another world, beautiful!

Nele, that is expensive tofu! So there is one inexpensive thing in japan.

I have never seen a mandolin orchestra before, but now I think I will try to find a performance in my area and see. There was a balalaika soloist at my local concert hall recently, so there must be mandolin orchestras from time to time!

Élio, the prices I posted are only what is shown on his website. It says that the prices changed in 2010, but I don't know how or exactly when they changed. Also, the site does not mention orchestral or solo versions, so perhaps the price is for the set?