Thread: Baritone Ukulele Tuned in 5ths

Default Baritone Ukulele Tuned in 5ths

So, I bought a baritone ukulele - supposed to be tuned DGBE like a tenor guitar.
    Kinda boring to a 55 year 6 string guitar veteran.

So, tuned her down to GDAE.

Now we're havin' fun!

Not even coming close to 4 finger G chords, but am able to do closed A formations and most open chords.

So, "Yes Lady, it's a ukulele".
    Malcolm Grundy from Montreal

Default Re: Baritone Ukulele Tuned in 5ths

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm G. View Post
    ...baritone ukulele - supposed to be tuned DGBE like a tenor guitar...
    "DGBE" yes, "like a tenor guitar" no. Originally tenor guitars were "supposed" to be tuned CGDA like a tenor banjo or mandola. Baritone ukuleles DGBE like the top four strings of a "standard" guitar. I believe DGBE on the tenor guitar is called "Chicago tuning," and is not uncommon, but not "standard" tuning.

A fifths-tuned baritone ukulele should be a lot of fun; enjoy!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Great idea! You're right in that a bari uke isn't that much fun for most guitar players. I tuned mine down and in fifths last night after reading your suggestion...fun times ahead!

I did the same with a Baritone uke and used it on a christmas album I did. I found a set of nylon guitar strings to play with the gauges and get the tension up a bit. I was playing fingerstyle chord melody with it and on some tunes just strummed. I should have held on to the uke but sold it for other things.

I have a baritone uke..that I was bored with as a baritone uke. Might be fun to change it up a bit cause it has good tone. Those that have experimented what string gauges did you find to work best...I have a box of odd and end strings.

I did the same, but went the extra mile to convert it to a double course instrument. You can check out the video in my recent post in CBOM.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...r-bodied-Mando
    rudy44

I'm no guitarist, so I haven't bothered retuning my baritone in 5ths; however, I did get a soprano I tuned up as a mandolin. What string guages would you use for a bary in 5ths to keep string tension?
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

What string guages would you use for a bary in 5ths to keep string tension?
    The Baritone Uke is normally tuned as the first four strings of the standard guitar, D-G-B-E low to high, It is not tuned in fifths normally. I used the standard Baritone strings, but I'm tuned to a-e-b-f#, fifth interval tuning but a whole step higher. No problem with string tension in this configuration.
    rudy44

Hello,
    I also tune my baritone ukulele in fifths at a e b f#...there is lots playing in fours and in reentrant tuning can afford a player...but just something about he sound of a baritone uke in that a e b f# fifths ... the instrument already add so much dynamics in control of sound , you can keep the normal uke strings too. Try it...its a bit of an abstract to hav it a little high up than the normal tuned g d a e but just play with the chord shapes at the botttom...all the others will fit along fine. Cheers rudy44, great minds think, ...think...how's that go...I forgot :-P

Interesting timing of this thread's re-posting. Since recently finding this guy's (below) YouTube channel with all his wonderful Christmas carol arrangements for his GDAE tuned baritone ukulele, I must admit I've really been lusting after one of my own!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

11. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

good find! - i tuned mine but the buzzezzzes made me put it back in the closet. strings by aquilacorde were particularly accomodating for the transition, i thought

Reviving thread...

I bought a junky baritone ukulele for my first try at converting a Ukulele to a resonator ukulele. But I thought I’d try a tenor guitar tuning before I start the project.

I found the website “http://stringtensionpro.com” very helpful. It is D’Addario’s string gauge calculator. Type in the scale length, note/octave, and approximate gauge or tension.

Scale is 487 mm, (19-3/16 in)
    Tuning is C3, G3, D4, A4
    Used the individual string tensions from a D’Addario standard baritone ukulele string set, EJ65B.

Results:

C3 - 14.870 lbs., 0.0380 in. wound
    G3 - 14.370 lbs., 0.0300 in. wound
    D4 - 10.320 lbs., 0.0300 in. Clear nylon
    A4 - 11.770 lbs., 0.0240 in. Clear nylon

I’ll order the strings and try it out.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    good find! - i tuned mine but the buzzezzzes made me put it back in the closet. strings by aquilacorde were particularly accomodating for the transition, i thought
    I have changed my Soprano ukes to GDAE Mandolin/Violin tuning. I'm loving it.

This thread prompted me to see what strings it would take to get my Baritone to CGDA (Viola).

Here's what I came up with. The tensions are reasonable. and sound pretty good to me.
    I had to be careful with the D because the next larger is wound (.030w) and it was too tight and too loud. I couldn't find a .028w to try. Mandolin chords don't seem to be much of a stretch.

A LaBella .016 (same string for Soprano GDAE high 'E' string)
    D D'Addario .034
    G D'Addario .041 (maybe a .042 or 43 - .030w was too tight!
    C D'Addario .035w

-Wiggy

Oops: "I had to be careful with the D because" should have been G, not D.

Now that the string has settled in, I like the .041 for G.

-Wiggy