Thread: How do you maintain an optimal studio environment?

Default How do you maintain an optimal studio environment?

I'm going to turn the spare basement room into a music studio and want to make sure the environment is optimal to store my acoustic instruments. I've done some web searching and have concluded that the best conditions are above 60 F with a relative humidity between 45 and 60%. The instruments will probably be kept in their cases most of the time, but I don't want to worry too much about leaving them out if that happens.

The room is about 150 sq ft with a ACT drop ceiling at 82", and there seems to be a good selection of room humidifiers and humidistats available that will work when needed. I'm a little worried about keeping the temperature high enough during the summer months because it sure feels chilly down there now with the furnace is off. There is a heat supply vent, so the room should stay warm enough during the winter too (we just moved in, so I don't know what happens in the winter yet)

Anyway, I'm wondering what products, suggestions. helpful links or ideas worked for you if you've got a similar situation?

thanks
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Default Re: How do you maintain an optimal studio environment?

i strongly recommend a beer fridge and an internet comection and some sound protection for late night playing and or recording

A black light and some day-glo posters would be nice.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

I would make sure my instruments were up off the floor in a basement in case of flood, I had alot of records ruined in a place I'd never have expected to get wet.
    Jim Richmond

Some useful info in the Studio Building forum on this site.
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/

Anti flood protection is a good idea-- even if there is no external threat, when a pipe bursts or the waterheater gives out the basement is where the water ends up most of the time. Don't forget to cover the walls with old egg cartons and a bong or two is a nice touch as well.