Thread: Finish question

Default Finish question

Fellow builders--I have a "kicker" mandolin that I have stripped the finish off of the top and back of neck. I plan to leave the neck alone(for smoother feel) but have put a thin layer of shellac spray over the top twice(for protection) and fine sanded with 0000 steel wool to smooth out the roughness. I'm considering the stew-mac colortone liquid stains for a sunburst finish on the top. Should I mix the stain with alcohol or water before applying over the shellac protective coat?? I'm not looking for perfection, just protection, and not a bad chemical reaction.
    As a player, I'm a firm believer in a nice thin finish for great "breathability" and for tone and volume.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
    "Long time listener, first time caller"....

Default Re: Finish question

This is a current thread. Good luck.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ishing-Process

Thanks James! Someone told me once that the stain would soak too hard into the work and dampen the sound without first putting a sealer on first. From much research today, and a email from a respectable builder, I've learned this to be completely untrue. I have been informed that by using an alkline or spirit based stain, the evaporation process will happen so quickly that it will keep the dye from "soaking" too far into the wood. Sound right?
    "Long time listener, first time caller"....

To be honest even the water based dyes don't penetrate more than a few microns - even a hint of sanding afterwards will take the colour off - don't ask me how I know! ;-)

To get an even coloration with your wood already sealed, you should spray the color on. This can be touchy if the surface is not very even or you apply the color too wet.

Also being you put on 2 coats of sealer then level sanded, you may have ever so slightly hit wood again in areas making a rubbed stain very uneven. I apply stain right to wood so, Ive not experienced the trial and error of staining over a sealer. You will now need access to an airbrush or other sprayer and an air compressor which you probably figured by now. Im not the guy, but search the forum for more info from other builders on a way to get around spraying if thats not an option for you. Being Ive never tried it, its possible that someone else can tell you if, even partially sanding the sealer back some more, may allow an even rub of stain. Being youve already sanded it down, another sanding back to "clean" wood may profoundly effect the instrument. If this is a pac rim beater, you make have plenty of wood to spare..I dont know.