Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning to play Bach

Blog Entries

Default Re: Learning to play Bach

I have recommended this before.

"Bach, A Glimpse of Genius. Excerpts and Transcriptions for Two Instruments from the Works of J.S.Bach", Marshall Barron,

Its available online from the Boulder Early Music Shop, and perhaps some other places.

Straight forward not finger busting, lots of fun.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I don't think anyone has mentioned this website, The Werner Icking Music Archive. Here is a link to the Bach page;
    http://icking-music-archive.org/ByComposer/J.S.Bach.php
    The pdfs you can access there are an absolute goldmine, the Violin Sonatas and Partitas (BWV 1001-1006) as well as the Solo Cello Suites (BWV 1007-1012 arranged for violin) are probably of interest and really extensive; I think part of the pleasure with them is just scrolling down until you see something your level and giving it ago.

As I say; this resource is massive, immediately accessible, and free! Someone must have mentioned it already I am sure in which case, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Now to Bach. Playing Bach and listening to Bach lead to different kinds of appreciation. ... playing Bach, either alone or with a group, can give a unique insight into the music ... not just hearing it but feeling it. I love it when I bring a piece to its conclusion and I am doing it. ... how much more I appreciate listening to Bach, having played it. Its like I have some kind of insider knowledge. ... While there is a lot to love just listening, there is so much more to love having hammered up the walls and wired the lights and put in the plumbing myself.
    Thank you, JeffD, for your inspiration and good humour.
    I've only just begun to find a way around inside just one piece of Bach's music. I am in all ways a beginner, and already, with just a few bars of that piece somewhat recognizable, when I listen to Avi Avital play that same piece, I have some small sense of being inside the music, more fully appreciating the music and the player's talent.
    Your writing nicely reflects such experience.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

since this post first appeared, I've begun playing the Bach Inventions with a duet partner. He's on guitar and playing the left hand line and I'm on mandolin playing the left hand line (these were written for keyboards, or so it seems). Just wonderful to learn this music and quite a challenge!

I need to consider some of the other resources (and thoughts) conveyed in this thread.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

I'm not sure how you get Farcebook videos up on here, but the right hand work in this video of David Garrett playing the andante from Bach's Sonata No.2 should inspire your exploration of how to develop subtle plectrum techniques to emulate this feel.

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicFM/v...3973825659260/
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

7. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Funny what Bach does to you. I wasn't a big memorize the music fanatic. After all the music is right there on the sheet and I play mandolin to make music not to work my memory. Then I started wrestling with Cello Suite 1 Prelude and discovered that while I could play the notes on the page, I wasn't satisfied. I listened to Avi and others on mando, Yo Yo and others on cello. I wanted some of that musicality, some of that expressiveness. No markings on the page to help but I should just be able to add right? Well apparently my brain doesn't work that way. However once a passage was memorized then I could add dynamics, ritards, accelerando's etc. I began to hear hints of some musicality. Needless to say 12 weeks later I have 8 measures left to complete memorization.

Fatt-dad, Yes, the two - and three-part inventions were originally written for keyboard, if my (at times) faulty memory is correct from my college years (a LONG time ago) they were written for harpsichord (and sound FANTASTIC on that instrument.) They are difficult, I used to be able to play the two part and some of the three part inventions on harpsichord and piano. I may try them sometime on mandolin. I bet they would sound great with someone on each line!

Summit County, Colorado

Listen to a lot of Bach. A lot of the Bach on Youtube is not by the most skilled musicians. Be selective if you look there.