Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oval-holed mandolin builders?

Default Re: Oval-holed mandolin builders?

Stumbled across this thread and wondering if Jim ever found his "dream" mando.

I've been down a somewhat similar road. IMO, experience has taught me that the hybrid mando (oval hole with longer scale and raised fretboard) is an unsatisfactory compromise between the short scale oval and long F. I've had a Bussman oval short scale that had a deep, rich and very recognizable oval tone. Then went to an f hole "Bluegrass" braced style for its increased punch and volume. It did all those things wonderfully, but at the expense of richness of tone.

Next mando was a Weber Bitterroot Oval Vintage Custom, thinking it would satisfy my tone cravings. Although it had the "looks" of a vintage Gibson, it had the scale and raised fretboard of a "traditional" Bluegrass instrument. It definitely had volume and chop but unfortunately totally lacked the tonal characteristics of a vintage oval. I would say that it was really much closer to a "Bluegrass" mando in sheep's clothing. There may be other hybrids that come closer to a vintage oval tone, but I haven't run across them.

In that constant search for my ideal tone machine, I've come to prize richness of tone over volume. Whenever I have the opportunity to pick an old, weathered, teens Gibson my heart swells. Now, THAT's good tone! Since I don't play much Bluegrass, a strong chop is not on my radar. Neither is volume since I don't need to compete with a banjo! :-)

I have small hands, so the short scale is not a problem for me (now, a soprano uke, that is a problem...). Unless you constantly play above 3rd position, I would wager that feel of the scale difference is negligible. (One caviat, I do prefer shorter guitar and banjo scales.)

My advice to anyone thinking about a hybrid would be to play one along side a short scale oval and long F before making a buying decision.
    Cheers,

Brian

Angels don't play harps, they play mandolins

2. The following members say thank you to Onesound for this post:

Blog Entries

Just for clarity, the scale length (nut to bridge) on the short oval and long elevated F5 instruments are the same. The distance from the nut to the body joins. The shorter necked old oval hole mandolins have the bridge pushed towards the tailpiece on the body more, which contributes to their tone differences.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by Onesound View Post
    Stumbled across this thread and wondering if Jim ever found his "dream" mando.
    Jim Magill did get his dream mandolin which you can see in his avatar and here.

I went thru a sort of similar search but I ended up with a Brentrup A4C which is a modernized Gibson A4 snakehead replica. Mine has transverse bracing and the shorter neck. It has the tone reminiscent of a vintage oval-hole Gibson but with added volume and clarity. Especially notable is the sweetness of the notes up the neck and the sustain. it is exactly what I was looking for. My only beef is the beefier neck. If I could get one just like it with the same neck as my snakehead I would be in heaven. However, I can handle that and I love playing it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4front.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	122163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4back.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	272.7 KB 
ID:	122164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a4ft.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	122165  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a4bk.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	122166  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

You are correct, thanks for the clarification. I keep forgetting that. As you say, its bridge placement relative to the soundboard that moves. Come to think of it, I've not seen more that about 1/8 difference between any two scale lengths (13 7/8" vs. 14"). Shifting the scale lower on the top moves the "sweet" spot closer (how would you say - 2nd octave?) to the the end of the fretboard / sound hole where the picking occurs.

My Weber sounded significantly better (to my personal preference) when it was picked around the 12th to 16th fret. But it wasn't convenient to pick way up there on the neck most of the time.
    Cheers,

Brian

They both look awesome! Of course, it's the playability and sound that counts. By the looks of them I would bet that they are cream of the crop in all regards! Don't we all appreciate a pretty face, too?

You hit on it: shorter neck, NOT shorter scale. I've havn't recently counted but don't the trad. Oval A necks usually meet the body at their 12 fret, whereas the A5s meet at the 14th (or whatever)?
    Cheers,

Brian

Very nice Lawrence Smart oval hole at Carter's now for $4,500. Was part of a Quartet he built for the Healdsburg Guitar show.
    I played the oval hole at his booth and then heard the Modern Mandolin Quartet take them for a spin.

There is a beautiful Gavin Baird in the classifieds now that I believe is a Peter Oshtrusko (sp?) prototype. I don't have MAS right now, but that is one that did tickle my fancy a bit and Gavin is retired from building as far as I know. For traditional early Gibson A model tone, I would also HIGHLY recommend Peter Coombe. Marty Jacobson does incredibly fantastic work with a more "modern" sounding and looking oval model. Good luck!

Sean

9. The following members say thank you to sgrexa for this post:

Old Wave by Bill Bussman or Black

I'm going to agree on the Arches - if you can find one. They are wonderfully warm and resonant instruments.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

I would think Marty Jacobson would be a contender as well.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

. . . and my buddy Dave Cohen. No joke I love his oval hole mandolins and I've played a few over the years.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    There is a beautiful Gavin Baird in the classifieds now that I believe is a Peter Oshtrusko (sp?) prototype. I don't have MAS right now, but that is one that did tickle my fancy a bit and Gavin is retired from building as far as I know. For traditional early Gibson A model tone, I would also HIGHLY recommend Peter Coombe. Marty Jacobson does incredibly fantastic work with a more "modern" sounding and looking oval model. Good luck!

Sean
    I watched the video of that Gavin Baird A model and I have to say its one of the strongest sounding oval hole mandolins I have ever heard. Really sweet tone but it doesn't have the tubby low end many ovals have. I've been having a strong desire for a oval and I sure wish I could get that one right now.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

(I got to be honest though, can any of these beat my new-to-me 1925 Gibson A-1? I'm just really loving that mandolin! It just doesn't have the long neck design.)

f-d

Never played one, but the A4 style sound bites on the Pomeroy site are pretty impressive. They look real nice, too.
    Cheers,

Brian

Didn't realize this was an old thread until I saw the post by John McGann. That always throws me.....
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

18. The following members say thank you to Michael Weaver for this post:

I'm a big fan of Gilchrist and Kimble ovals. The Brentrups are really nice too. I'd love to give that Smart a test drive. And that Holst...one of the coolest deigns I've seen in a long time. Hard to beat a good snakehead too!

OP was not john McCann .

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    OP was not john McCann . f-d
    #22. It was late and I started reading from the first page.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weaver View Post
    #22. It was late and I started reading from the first page.
    Oh yes, I see now. I didn't know John, but feel like it would have been great to know more about him and his music.

f-d

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post: