Thread: Gibson F9?

Default Gibson F9?

Just came across this Gibson F9 on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290559352729

Can't quite put my finger on it but something in my gut tells me it doesn't look quite right. Any chance it may be a copy?

I forgot to mention that I have absolutely NFI nor do I intend to bid on this myself
    Last edited by Clement Barrera-Ng; Apr-25-2011 at 11:28pm. Reason: NFI disclaimer

Default Re: Gibson F9?

It's a Gibson as far as I can see. The tailpiece isn't original, the top looks like it was oversprayed and whomever installed the jack in the side may have done some damage.

The mandolin does look like a well crafted unit; maybe it was the label that seems a bit 'unoriginal' if you may. And looks like whoever put the pickup jack on the side had put a bit too much pressure when tightening the screws since you can see cracks/craze on either side of it.

I think it's an F-9, the output jack was simply a bit of alligator dentistry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I think it's an F-9, the output jack was simply a bit of alligator dentistry.
    Doesn't the scroll look wrong? Looks too long in the vertical or too short in the horizontal to me. And the curvature of the scroll looks "wrong" to me as well. Part of the problem is that its a very poor image.

Just noticed the link to the hi res photos -- I guess its is a Gibson. But the seller has no track record and those are some rather curious changes and as Mike pointed out some questionable work apparently?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Even the "hi-res" photos are pretty dire...always amazes me how folks expect to get the best price for anything with terrible photos like these. That said, I'm glad some do as a few years ago I picked up a wonderful instrument now worth around $18K for $2K because all the seller had on Ebay was a tiny little, blurred, badly lit mobile phone pic... I took a chance and lucked out big time on that one. I digress... heavy (and badly done) overspray at least. Looks more like it has been to a butcher than a luthier.