Thread: Parker Mandolins

Blog Entries

Saw this mandolin on Elderly's site. Didn't have the builder in the Cafe builder database and can't find a thing about them on the web. Anyone know who this is? Contact info? Anyone own one?

I recall reading posts on Mandolin Cafe(seems as recent as this year). A member was highly praising them. Anyone else recall?

If it's the same guy, he's in western PA. James A. Parker. The Good Deale Bluegrass (/www.gooddealebluegrass.com) in Deale Maryland sells his stuff. I'm not sure it's the sale guy however because the Elderly pix of the back have a very distinctive scroll ridge that doesn't appear on any other pix I'ver seen.

Blog Entries

From Elderly's web site ad for this mandolin: "...very finely crafted by Ohio luthier Drew Parker."

The luthier is a guy named Jim Parker. He is based out of Pennsylvania and has recently started building F-style mandolins after a short while of building A's. For
    being relatively new at building, he's got it.

A friend of mine recently had an f built by Parker, And the man seems very pleased thus far.

Exclamation

Although I must say that the scroll looks strikingly familiar.

Interesting fingerboard extension that's for sure.

GVD
    GVD

I don't know who Drew Parker is but I've got A002 that James A. Parker from Pennsylvania built that I like very much. I bought it from Tim Finch over at Deale Bluegrass Shop in Deale, MD.

Quote Originally Posted by (addcourt @ Nov. 05 2004, 07:45)
    I recall reading posts on Mandolin Cafe(seems as recent as this year). #A member was highly praising them. #Anyone else recall?
    Yea. I remember trying to keep a mental note (fat chance) of his mandos because he was from Allentown, PA and someone in MD was selling the mandos. Both locations are close enough for me to check out but I never got around to it.
    mick meinsler

Quote Originally Posted by
    Yea. I remember trying to keep a mental note (fat chance) of his mandos because he was from Allentown, PA and someone in MD was selling the mandos. Both locations are close enough for me to check out but I never got around to it.
    Is he still located in Allentown?

I live on the border of Bethlehem and Allentown. I'd love to visit his shop if he is still in the area.

I did a search on Google, using his name, but came up empty.

Thanks.
    I play badly enough not to be terribly good, and good enough not to be terribly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by (Scott Tichenor @ Nov. 05 2004, 09:18)
    From Elderly's web site ad for this mandolin: "...very finely crafted by Ohio luthier Drew Parker."
    It seems that there must be two different luthiers discussed here. Couldn't Elderly give the information on Drew Parker if they are handling his product?
    Bill Snyder

I knew I wanted to save some info on this guy and found a Parker thread that I saved in my Favorites. Also was wrong about location. He was in Hollidaysburg PA outside of Altoona. Used to post here as J.A.P (James Andrew Parker I think)

The thread was started by wheelhoss on 5/5/04 under Looking for info..... titled Parker Mandolins. It has a few real nice photos and contact info.

I wanted to attach it but I think it's too big. Maybe somebody can do that link thing. (why yes, I am a high tech guy) I mailed it to Scott so I'm sure it'll get posted here one way or the other.
    mick meinsler

Hi Folks,

August Watters just e-mailed me to mention that someone may be looking for me on the Cafe. Hello again I'm James A Parker from Hollidaysburg PA. There have been a few threads and pictures posted on the Cafe regarding some of the A's and F's I've built. I really hope that I don't get mistaken for the Parker selling in Elderly. Looks like I need to get listed on the builders data base. I'm not real good with posting pictures and computer related stuff, but I'll give it a go. If anyone would like to reach me try parkerhq@keyconn.net or jparker@nesl.com.

Thanks,
    J.A.P.
    P.S. I have another F mando and a half dozen guitars to show soon.

So no word ever developed on this builder ? Seems odd that someone at elderly didn't respond or give the fellow a nudge. Anyway, has anybody tried this instrument ? what's the take on it tone and construction wise? Sometime in 2005 I'm likely to go for the scroll in the (up to) $ 3200 range.

ok, who bought it ? how do you like it ? If they get another, I might take a drive that way this summer

Default Re: Parker Mandolins

Reviving a very old thread!…

Another Parker has come up for sale at Elderly.

I did find some information about Drew Parker, albeit unfortunate.

It would be great to hear from someone who owns one of his instruments or knew him at all.

I think I’ll go pick the one on Elderly’s wall this week.

Default Re: Parker Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by calzim View Post
    Reviving a very old thread!…

Another Parker has come up for sale at Elderly.

I did find some information about Drew Parker, albeit unfortunate.

It would be great to hear from someone who owns one of his instruments or knew him at all.

I think I’ll go pick the one on Elderly’s wall this week.
    I made it to Elderly today to play the two Parkers that showed up last week. They’re both nice playing and sounding instruments. I believe it was confirmed that Mr. Parker’s widow brought them in on consignment. I’d guess they were his personal instruments. They said his instruments have come through before, and they believe he made around two dozen in total. These two aren’t numbered on the label, but dated. The A-model stood out to me. It had as much volume and pop as you could possibly ask for. It seriously just popped. It reminded me of one of the finest sounding mandolins I’ve played - an Everett Kettler F-5. It was really hard to put down and leave there.