Thread: Question - Tall Bridge for Stiver Mandolin

Default Question - Tall Bridge for Stiver Mandolin

I have an older Stiver A model mandolin with a very steep neck set. I'm looking for a source for an extra tall bridge for this mandolin. As it is, I'd like to raise the action just a bit but I'm near the top of the adjustments and there is not much of the threaded rod supporting the top half of the saddle. It seems unstable. Can anyone recommend a source for taller bridges? Also, has anyone had experience using a Brekke bridge on a Stiver mandolin. (these are the ones that use wedges rather than the threaded posts to adjust the height)

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Kelly

Default Re: Question - Tall Bridge for Stiver Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by kelfranken View Post
    I have an older Stiver A model mandolin with a very steep neck set. I'm looking for a source for an extra tall bridge for this mandolin. As it is, I'd like to raise the action just a bit but I'm near the top of the adjustments and there is not much of the threaded rod supporting the top half of the saddle. It seems unstable. Can anyone recommend a source for taller
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Kelly

Most custom luthiers can build bridges to fit your exact requirements. Check out the "Bridges & Tails" section of my website for some ideas.
    Byron Spain, Builder
    www.theleftyluthier.com

Kelly, I`m not sure you will want to do what I did but here goes....I cut a thin piece of ebony and placed it under the bottom of the bridge to give mine enough height...Installing longer post to hold the saddle will make it unstable and run a chance of it really tipping (leaning) a lot....A while back there was a thread on here about shimming up a bridge at the bottom but I can`t seem to find it now....

Willie

Blog Entries

Kelly,,when Randy Wood converted 2 of my 1930's F-7's,"put F-5 scale necks on em and set the necks back a little steeper" ,he gave me a real long piece of threaded rod "not sure of how long but enough to do my mandos,cause I like to do my own set-up",,so I took out the standered "little rod" and put the longer ones in place so its basically to the bottom of the bridge base to the top of the saddle and that gives it better support,,,,,Billy

Steve Smith (Cumberland Acoustic) offers "tall boy" (as well as "low boy") bridges for those mandolins that are outside of "average" bridge geometry.

Cumberland Acoustic "Tall Boy" shold do very well .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Thank you all for the timely and very helpful advice. Sounds like a Tall Boy is just the ticket !!
    I think I'll have a chat with Steve at Cumberland Acoustic...

This seems like a very helpful and civil forum.

Thanks again.
    Kelly