Thread: Which pick do you use when......

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

Default Which pick do you use when......

This question is for those of you who switch between mandolin and: mandola, mandocello, or octave mandolin. Do you use the same pick on all your instruments, or do you feel is it wiser to use different picks as string tension and instrument size change?
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

Default Re: Which pick do you use when......

I don't even use the same pick on my various mandolins. Some of it depends on the instrument and others depend on what type of music I am playing.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Generally I use a large fairly heavy pick for guitar and a Fender medium for mandolin/double-course instruments. Like Jim, I have a pocketful of various ones, mostly home-made, and switch depending on the instrument in hand. It's fun fooling around with different picks.

I just found out recently that Jethro Burns's pick of choice was a Fender medium. He seemed to do alright with them.

Lots about picks here.

ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

I don't know if this is straying from the thread, but I use a Dawg pick for my mandolins, a Fender medium for guitar and a Hofner extra heavy for bass.

I use the same picks on all my mando instruments (mandocello, octave mando, mandolin, and electric mandolin) : sometimes a golden gate, sometimes a wegen 1.5 mm, sometimes a tortex 2.0 mm; or the Gator 2.0 mm. Depends on the sound I want. Lately I've been using the Wegen on just about everything.

I use one pick for all my acoustic instruments that are flatpicked -- a Blue Chip TAD40-1R (medium semi-triangle 1.0mm, one corner rounded):

• Mandolin -- rounded corner, for a darker, meatier tone.
    • Octave mandolin -- rounded corner if I'm playing melody lines or a counter-melody backup, and the sharper tip if I'm going for more of a strummed backing sound.
    • Acoustic guitar -- the tip, to bring out the higher frequencies in the strum.

I didn't plan it that way, with the idea of consolidating everything in one pick. It just worked out as the best combination after comparing with all the picks I've accumulated over the years. It sure is convenient to only keep track of one pick. Standard disclaimer: what works for me might not work for anyone else, yada yada... but if you haven't considered the flexibility in using both the rounded shoulder and tip of the same pick (not just this Blue Chip, any pick), then you might want to give it a shot.

Paul's photo above sort of looks like my arsenal of picks. I probably have a clown barf Dawg pick but unlike the majority of North Americans I never got used to playing with it. I have a Blue Chip Jazz pick I think 35 which I use for most old time playing and a larger rounded triangle BC for rhythm guitar. I use a Roman pick -- the odd shaped elongated and pointy one -- for classical and John Pearse jazz or those discontinued Gibson heavy jazz picks on mandolin when the mood strikes me.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

I have different preferred picks for different mandolins. Even then, it sometimes changes. I find the D'Andrea Pro Plec (that came with my JazzMando strings) to be pretty good across them all but I have a Wegen that sounds great on my Eastman with F holes but not so good on the Labraid or Spira (Archtop oval and flat top oval respectively). Different picks (even with the same technique and strings) can really vary your tone, in my experience.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I'm a proplec man too. I use it on everything I play, but that's mostly because I find when I go to a different gauge or shape it confuses my hands when I go back to my proplec. To change my tone with it, I chief kind of alter my technique: sometimes I play from my fingers, sometimes my wrist; closed fist or knife blade. It's all a means to an end I guess.
    If I had known how much easier it is to carry the mandolin around instead of a strat and a half-stack, I'd have been playing mandolin this whole time.

Kentucky km-171
    Kentucky km-160
    Kentucky km-505(finally!)

Blog Entries

I change picks for different mandolins, for different venues, for different types of music and even for different tunes. The pick used makes so much difference I can't see sticking to one for any reason.

My goto tenor guitar pick is a Dugain horn pick. Great for guitar, terrible for mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I use a Blue Chip XR60 for my Breedlove, a Wegen TF-140 for the Johnson (because it is quiet and the Wegen is louder), and a Fender X-tra Heavy triangular for guitar.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I tend to go lighter gauge and more flexible as string tension lessons. Wegen TF140 for my f--holed mandos, TF120 for my pancake and for most guitar purposes, but I'll go as thin as 0.73 Ultex when I'm primarily strumming guitar. I'll use Fender Heavy or Ultex 1 mm as good "all-rounders", and don't mind Fender mediums on electrics. But, if I'm just flatpicking guitar solo at home, I like the 140 for that application as well.

I try out new picks all the time. The Fender heavys are my "old standby" picks, but the Wegens and Ultex picks are my current favorites.
    Chuck

I got tired of different picks for different families of instruments. I use a Blue Chip 40 in a larger triangle for everything. It works well for all mando family instruments, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, banjo (rarely use a pick on banjo), and even ukulele. That simplified my life substantially. It works very well on all instruments.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I thought I am the only one struggling with picks. I share the same opinions as most in this thread.
    I have 3 guitars, 2 mandolins, all using different picks.
    The pick that works well for my Ovation mando, does not work that well on the Fender mando and guitars and vice versa.
    I just cannot mixing picks and instruments. And I also made some of the picks myself too.