Thread: portable digital recorder that can slow down playback?

Question portable digital recorder that can slow down playback?

I'm looking for a modest digital recorder, like $150 or less, that can record in stereo, and also can slow down the playback.

I've seen a lot of good comments on Zoom H1 + H2. But it looks like they can't slow down playback. Anybody who has one, can you confirm or correct that?

TASCAM DR07 can do it, but it's $200 on Amazon.
    TASCAM PT-7 can do it too, but it's mono.
    And I have heard people not so impressed with the basic sound quality of other TASCAM devices- small mixers + the like.

Anybody know of one, or have used one that you're happy with?
    thx,

Blog Entries

Default Re: portable digital recorder that can slow down playback?

Portable recorders are exactly that. Portable recorders. They are primarily intended as capture devices. For editing and other effects, such as slow down without pitch change, all you do is export the files to a PC or Mac. There is plenty of software there that can do it easily. You can also run slow-downer Apps on the iPhone/iPod Touch. Yes, there a few niche products that do have rudimentary 'extras' built in, but they don't perform anything like as well for editing/fx as even a typical, simple, free PC/Mac audio editor will. Big drawback on these little recording devices is screen size. Very tiny and monochrome.. fine for recording and basic playback, but setting points for looping, etc., is no fun at all. Much easier on a PC/Mac screen.

Tascam actually make nice stuff. They have a very good rep in the audio world. They make some well respected high end field recorders for film soundtrack use, for example, and many of us have fond memories of their tape-based multi-trackers...

I would not be swayed by features such as built in effects in a portable recorder as they are just nowhere near as good as you can get (often for free) in dozens of PC/Mac editors. Just get a decent little recorder and do all the editing/effects elsewhere.

Unless the main purpose is to learn new tunes quickly and easily without futzing around with transfers and conversions etc. to get it on a computer. If that is the goal a handheld recorder that could slow down with out affecting pitch would be a nice thing to have. I wonder if there is an iPhone or iPad app that will do that? That might be worth a little searching. The iPhone and iPod make EXCELLENT little portable recorders and if you already own an iPhone the cost is almost zero for the app.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

I'm quite familiar with post processing on a computer but this is for a different situation. I am looking to get a pocket-size device to record myself practicing, or a rehearsal, and play it back on the spot at slower tempo to be able to "put a magnifying glass" onto certain parts -- to hear more closely, with "more resolution" what I/we are doing in tempo and pitch.

Almeriastrings- thanks for the good word on Tascam, that's probably enuf to solve the problem -- I did some more looking and Tascam has many devices across a wide price range (DR-03 $60 ... DR-07 $200 ... DR-08 $140), all of which have instant slow-playback without pitch change.

On a side note- when I AM working on a computer, a VERY handy little program called "Best Practice" is fantastic for learning songs. Drag an mp3 or WAV onto it, it starts playing. It has 2 sliders- one for speed, and one for pitch/key change. The playback quality loses some fidelity when both sliders are moved but the song is still plenty good enuf to play along with and learn.

Don't do Apple. Their whole "proprietary world, walled garden" and "charge extra for otherwise similar products" strategies make them, for me, a dead-stop no-go. As a business guy/investor I admire their ability to capture margin from their customers - good for them, not so good for customers. For me as a personal buyer/consumer, I will always find open platforms at competitive costs. I work too hard for my money to give it to Apple and be locked into them. FWIW. Just my approach - and yes I'm aware of their market share in phones and mp3 players. I know I'm different and I either don't care or don't mind. Not sure which. Gonna go strap that mando on now!

Having done a lil more digging, it's apparent these things have come a long way.
    I just ordered a TASCAM DR-05 for $99 shipped.
    Has variable speed playback 50%-200%, sophisticated auto-gain or manual gain, chromatic tuner, etc etc etc.
    TASCAM's whole line does variable speed playback:
    DR-03 $60
    DR-05 $99
    DR-07 MkII $149

I'll post again after it arrives + I've done some test-driving.

spec's from TASCAM http://tascam.com/product/dr-05/specifications/
    Stereo Condenser Omni Mic's, sensitivity up to 125dB SPL
    Up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV (BWF) linear PCM recording
    Stereo MP3 recording from 32-320 kbps bit rate
    Peak Reduction function, optimized for music recording, automatically sets the gain while recording
    Limiter and low-cut filter to help prevent distortion
    Automatic or manual level setting
    Self timer recording starts recording 5 or 10 sec. after pressing the record button for waiting until you are ready
    Auto and manual track increment
    Variable speed playback (50%-150%) without changing the pitch
    Loop and repeat playback
    Level Align feature prevents uneven volume levels during playback
    Playback EQ setting
    Editing function (Divide and delete)
    Up to 99 mark points on each file
    Chromatic tuner
    1/8” stereo mic/line input
    USB 2.0 port for transfer to PC and external power
    Up to 2-second pre recording buffer
    Jump back function returns to previous point with one action (1-10, 20, 30 sec.)
    1/8” headphone/line output
    Built-in speaker
    microSD (64MB – 2GB)/microSDHC (4GB – 32GB) card slot (2GB card included)