Thread: Quartini/piccolo

A piccolo mandolin arrived in the mail this PM from Alfred Woll. Runs cgda low to high; of course low is a relative term here.

Scale is about 250; if you lay it bridge to bridge with a regular bowlback, the nut hits the big boy at the 5th fret. Uses regular strings to work its magic. The tuners are sized to match the instrument; it's nearly impossible to get normal fingers in there to turn the buttons. There's three screw holes on each plate, but no way to get the middle screw into the hole - gear and wormdrive are in the way.

Fifteen ribs plus two, alternating mahogany and what might be poplar. (It has a greenish cast, but grain is similar to mahogany; might just be a contrasting stain). Inlaid rosewood pickguard, rosewood board with 17 frets.

Intonation dead on. Construction quite nice. Tone is brilliantly treble; it can approach shrill if you want to irritate the audience, but it has a sweetness to it.

It even has a case obviously built to fit.

My hands are almost too big to play it, seemingly, but it is an absolute gas to mess with. Victor could probably stop all four courses with a fingertip.

The tone has much of the particular sound of the baglama, but not so lacking in overtone, due to the much larger bowl and soundboard.

I hope to persuade someone to do some digiphotos of the whole batch.

Wow, I am interested in seeing it. Is this a vintage instrument or something of recent make?

My Leland Brilliantone Piccolo was discussed previously.

It is not a bowlback but was made circa 1912 adn has a scale of 10.5 inches (267mm), slightly olnger than yours. it does take a bit of getting used to.

I would love to see pics of your Woll.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

OK I discovered Alfred Woll's web site (in German) but I know nothing of him as a builder.
    Did you order this piccolo from him, or is it something he makes regularly?
    Does anyone have pictures of either of the piccolos that Gilchrist made (one F style for G. Gruhn and an A style for David Grisman)?

Here is the start page for Woll's site which gives you the option to see it in English.

Bob, I don't see any piccolo/quartino there. Was this a custom order?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

According to Woll, this is an old (circa 1915) instrument, by an "unknown master".

Woll makes instruments, of course, both of his own design and reproductions of Calace and Embergher, as well as of 18th century baroque instruments. I imagine it would be within his range to duplicate the piccolo mandolin as well. Still, I can believe that there is little call for such a thing.

There are photos of the instrument on Herr Woll's site. (I think the link is www.woll-mandolinen.de. I usually get there thru googling his name). The site does have provision for English language presentation.

The photos do not do justice to the contrasting ribs, nor the attention to detail the instrument's maker put into the project. For example, the neck/headstock joint is a triangular mortise/tenon, a terribly tricky join, at least for someone as unhandy as myself to contemplate. While it has little in the way of ornament, the joinery is attentive to detail; purfling, shaping of the headstock, etc leave no room for complaint. Perhaps it is seeing this sort of thing on a small scale that impresses me, possibly unduly. Still, this is not a toy, but a successful attempt by a qualified luthier to make a quality working instrument.

My only disappointment is in fact the anonymous nature of the beast. I am a little surprised that the maker would not want to take credit for his work.

There's little call or excuse for such an instrument. Still, it will serve to initiate my grandson into mandolinning in due course. Meanwhile, should anyone offer me a commission to play the fife or piccolo part in a plectral choir, I'll have the tool, if not the skill.

This site is a little confusing. It always takes me a little whiloe to find something. The piccolo is pictured here.

Cute little guy. Hey, Bob, you and i can get together one days and play some cartoon music duets on these piccolos. Maybe get some helium and sing along

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hello,

In our big orchestra in the old-days there were two types of piccolo mandolins. The first type was looking exactly like a flatback mandolin, but smaller of course and the tuning was like the tuning of the mandolin just an octave higher. They were playing the part of the second Piccolo mandolin in the orchestra. The instruments that were playing the part of the first piccolo were different. They were even smaller, than the first type, flatback as well, the shape of the body was more long-drown and more regular. I mean it was almost ellipse. The tuning was also different, because none of us mandolinist could play it like a mandolin. Unfortunately I was too young then to be inetersted in the tuning, so I cannot tell you about that.

Good luck!

I would guess your orchestra played terzino and quartino, plami. Just a guess.

Thanks Eugene,

You might be right. I really don`t know. If I meet some from the older members of the orchestra I could ask.

Good luck!

Wow--
    something else for me to dream about

George

"get together and play cartoon music"

I love to play the Ren and Stimpy song, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy. It's such a happy little tune and we each take turns telling a joke between verse's...it's a real hoot that was originally inspired by a alcohol induced buzz of my crazy brother-in-law that has now become one of the regular occurence's at out jams.
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Do you have the score for the Ren and Stimpy music Not being a R&S fan -- and I believe the show is no longer on the air -- I am not familiar with this piece.

Maybe we could do a mandolin orchestra arrangement...

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I just noticed that on the postcard page #35 a child is playing what has to be a piccolo bowlback.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin35.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	8904  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Just to keep this thread alive, here is a picture of my Brian Dean piccolo that is coming to life.

Name:	26chris_IP1.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	9392  

Here's one more that shows the neck - 11.25" scale.

Name:	piccolomandolin.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	9393  

A piccolo in progress by Brian Dean. Thanks, Brian!

Name:	26chris_ip5.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	9560  

Jgarber: looks kind of familiar..

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

HAHHAHAHAHHHHAHHA aha...hah! #Love the nails. # # #