Thread: mandolinists as band leaders...

Default mandolinists as band leaders...

It seems to me as though the band leaders of many of the groundbreaking American string bands in the last 70 years or so have tended to be mandolin players. I'm thinking of Bill Monroe, David Grisman, Sam Bush and Chris Thile.

Would you agree, and if so why do you think this is so? Is everyone else trying to emulate Bill Monroe, do mandolinists tend to make good leaders, or am I just wrong?

Blog Entries

Default Re: mandolinists as band leaders...

Ralph Stanley, Bela Fleck, Pete Wernick, Earl Scruggs, J.D. Crowe all on Banjo. I think you can see a similar number on other instruments too I just played the banjo side. I may like some of the banjo leaders more than some of the mandolin leaders and vice versus but, I don't think I would say the mandolin has the most in my estimation.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I would say in bluegrass bands, the guitarist/lead singer has been out front more often than not. Lester Flatt, Carter Stanley, Jimmy Martin, Mac Wiseman, Charlie Waller, Del McCoury, and so on. Doesn't necessarily mean he (or she) is the leader, but perhaps the most visible "face" of the band.

Makes me think about bands I've seen:
    Alison Krause and Union Station: leader, Alison Krause; instrument, fiddle
    Osborne Brothers: co-leaders, Sonny & Bobby Osborne; instruments, banjo & mandolin
    Del McCoury Band: leader, Del McCoury; instrument, guitar
    Jim & Jesse & the Virginia Boys: leader (generally), Jesse McReynolds; instrument, mandolin
    Earl Scruggs Revue: leader (in terms of stage "leading"), Gary Scruggs; instrument, electric bass
    Reno & Harrell: leader (MC, at least), Bill Harrell; instrument, guitar
    Country Gentlemen: leader, Charlie Waller; instrument, guitar
    Seldom Scene: leader (again, did most of the onstage talking), John Duffey; instrument, mandolin
    Rhonda Vincent & the Rage: leader, Ms. Vincent; instrument, mandolin
    Dailey & Vincent: co-leaders, Jamie Dailey & Darren Vincent; instruments, guitars
    Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys: leader, Ralph Stanley; instrument, banjo
    Bill Monroe & the Blue Grass Boys: leader, Bill Monroe; instrument, mandolin
    Bob Paisley & the Southern Grass: leader, Bob Paisley; instrument, guitar
    Dillards: leader (MC, at least), Mitch Jayne; instrument, bass fiddle
    Dry Branch Fire Squad: leader, Ron Thomason; instrument, mandolin
    Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver: leader, Doyle Lawson; instrument, mandolin
    Lester Flatt & the Nashville Grass: leader, Lester Flatt; instrument, guitar
    Lilly Brothers & Don Stover: co-leaders, Everett and "B" Lilly; instruments, mandolin & guitar
    Tony Trischka & Skyline: leader, Tony Trischka; instrument, banjo

Etc., etc. I don't see a clear pattern here, really; and of course, the guy (gal) who gets out front and talks onstage, or sings lead, isn't necessarily the band's leader in terms of developing their music or their style. And was Sam Bush "leader" of the New Grass Revival? Who was the "leader" of Country Gazette -- Alan Munde, Roland White, Byron Berline? I guess the later version was "Alan Munde Gazette," which pretty much settles the leadership question for the present time.

No doubt a great number of innovative and influential mandolin players, and I don't quibble with OP's contention that "leaders of many of the groundbreaking American string bands...have tended to be mandolin players," but there are quite a few band leaders who play other instruments. They may not be as "groundbreaking" -- I can't judge that -- but I think there are talent and personality qualities that lead musicians to leadership roles, regardless of what instruments they may play.

On the other hand, I'm not aware of a bluegrass band led by a Dobro player. Anyone think of one? Jerry Douglas did some touring with a back-up band, I guess...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Lou Reid, Doyle lawson Adam Steffey, Jesse MacReynolds, Paul Duff, Ricky Skaggs, Lester Flatt, Marty Stuart, Steve Earl, Jimmy Martin, Danny Roberts, Mike Compton. But they are all multi instrumentalists too.
    Bing

Thanks for your replies folks.

Perhaps my initial post was a little misleading though, I wasn't suggesting that band leaders tend to be mandolinists but that the bands that really shook things up and changed everything that followed perhaps tend to be lead by mandolinists (within the American string band broad tradition).

Eg Bill Monroe and his bluegrass boys, David Grisman quintet, maybe the Punch Brothers...?

Sure there are lots of band leaders post Bill Monroe say on the banjo (Earl Scruggs, JD Crowe etc), but my understanding is that they essentially lead bluegrass bands in the Bill Monroe vein. Bela Fleck is obviously an exception to this but he played with the newgrass revival lead by Sam Bush and his early work influenced by Grisman (not to belittle his amazing talent..!).

I'm not sure about any of this but interested to hear peoples views who know more than I do...

Dobro would be Tim Graves.