Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awesome FREE!! audio slow down software

garded

Default Re: Awesome FREE!! audio slow down software

This is an old post, but do you have any current suggestions for music slowing software? I looked at this Best Practice one and the reviews were weak.
    yup, weak is right. It works, but not as good as Amazing slowdowner. The interface isn't that great and the sound when you slow it down isn't great at all.

And the worst part is it has so much junk bundled with it. I even tried to do a manual install and it still sneaked a couple of unwanted aps in. No malware, but a couple of stupid things I don't want tracking me. It is free, but that's all.

Registered User Christine Robins's Avatar

I bought the Amazing Slow Downer 5 yrs. ago, and love it. Sound quality, flexibility, and ease of use are all great. Considering that I use it every day for 1/2 hr. or more, it's been a bargain. Try it yourself with their 30-day free trial.

BTW, if you're interested in a high-quality digital recorder with direct slow-down playback, my Zoom H4n has this built-in. Don't know about any other recorders.

Whenever this topic comes up, I think it should also be mentioned that the free Audacity recording and editing software has a good slowdown function, as well as everything else it does. It works on Windows, Mac, and Unix.

It's not quite as user-friendly as some dedicated slowdown software since it requires a few more mouse clicks. It works best for cranking out a slowed MP3 version of an existing file, rather than as a "realtime" streamer for slowing down audio. But it is free, with good support from the developers, and it's also a good introduction to audio editing and recording software. I use it for quick, light editing duties like stripping out individual clips from longer recordings of a rehearsal session, or from one of my S.O.'s workshop recordings. It's a good tool to have on your computer if you do any work at all with audio files, not just slowing them down.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

Registered User Justin Carvitto's Avatar

My one year old daughter started banging on my keyboard while The Amazing Slow Downer was pulled up on my computer. Now my pitch and speed are unadjustable. Everything else works fine. I've tried emailing ronimusic.com but haven't gotten a response.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I have an apple computer.
    dunno

Blog Entries

First do a complete shut down and re-start.

Then relaunch the program.

It should work fine. If not, suspect physical damage to the keyboard.

The program itself should not be damaged. You can always download again and reinstall, however. The licence information should be picked up automatically during installation.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

6. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Jim B 

Registered User Justin Carvitto's Avatar

I got a reply back from ronimusic, the audio processing button was disabled.
    dunno

Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    I use something called 'VLC' (VideoLAN) player which is freely available on Win, Mac and Linux. Besides being a really versatile music and video player that's capable of playing just about any format out there, it also has the ability to slow down a song without changing the pitch. It's great for learning tunes. And did I mention it's free AND opensource

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGE View Post
    Transcribe! does a great job at slowing down, looping, and much, much more. No financial interest - just a very happy customer.
    +1 for that! I have used it for years and I have no complaints. I find Audacity has it its uses also.

10. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

I am a huge fan of Tune Transcriber, a free website that allows you to upload any audio file on your computer. It doesn't allow pitch shifting or anything super full featured, but it's great for simple speed shift and allows you to create loops and marked points within the tune.

https://www.tunetranscriber.com/

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Agreed. What I want to be able to do is slow down the audio and video of a YouTube clip for learning a tune.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    ... What I want to be able to do is slow down the audio and video of a YouTube clip for learning a tune.
    You can do that right in your browser while online watching a YouTube video. No extra software required. Works on phones too, at least Android ones - no clue about Apple stuff nowadays.

Here's an underwatched video I posted 2 years ago that shows how to slow down YouTube videos in your browser:

(or direct link)
    Sometimes embedded videos might have to be opened on the actual YouTube page, for the slow-down function to be available.

But, if what you meant was you want a way to do that *offline* when you don't have internet, then you'd need something different. What I've done a couple times in that situation, is to go ahead and have YouTube play it at half speed on my computer, then I run a screen-recorder app that captures both the video *and* audio (if I want higher-quality audio, I simultaneously have Audacity record just the audio part), then I save the output from all that into a new video file which I can watch/listen to anytime even without internet. I happen to use Bandicam for screen captures (it's how I make all those scrolling sheet-music backing tracks (example), the video part is just a screen capture of MuseScore etc score playback and then edited in a video editor), but there might be better options as far as picture/sound quality, not sure...
    Last edited by Jess L.; Dec-18-2017 at 8:24am. Reason: Dumb errors. Gah! I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing. Lol.