Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Alison K is back

Default Re: Alison K is back

I just picked up the new record. Amazing stuff! I really like this kind of record: it's not Bluegrass but it's music played with Bluegrass instruments. The whole thing sounds pretty heavily soaked in reverb, but some of that might be the awful earbuds I'm using. Nice to hear a mandolin back in the mix.

I think it's really reverb-soaked although you're right that earbuds are probably distorting things somewhat. Alison's preferred sound nowadays is pretty big on reverb in the currently stylist retro fashion, although not as much so as a lot of material Neko Case and other "Alt-What-have-you" artists.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

The more I listen, the more I like the sparse arrangment of this record. Not one note too many, and not one note is wasted. That's pretty hard to do; very hard, actually.

When A/K was in San Diego a few years back she told folks in our local paper that to her "Less was more". That is a great part of her sucess. No voice gymnastics! Like some of the new artists that turn one note into 15! Give me a break! Nick
    ntriesch

My 2 cents...it's a great CD. It would have perhaps been greater for me with a couple bluegrass songs, but I still really like the CD. Based on the past, these guys can almost do no wrong in my book. This is my opinion...which will, along with a buck, buy you a cup of coffee.

Tom

Blog Entries

I go by COSTCO on a regular basis. Besides the bulk stuff I like to check out the books as they often have something I like. Pretty much if you see it and even think you'll like it, buy it. When it's gone, it's gone. I check the CDs too though these days the picking is sparse. Still there is the occasional must get. Today it was AKUS 'paper airplane' - $10. Maybe your local COSTCO will have too. Remember the rule 'When it's gone, it's gone!'
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well, yes and no. There is a variant: "When it's gone, it shows up on ebay." I've got a feeling, judging by the sampling of opinions here, that enough people will buy this, be disappointed, and put it up on ebay, that used copies will be in good supply there. If you, like I, are sitting on the fence about this, saving a few bucks while taking a chance on this may be the way to go. Of course, if you are all about supporting the artist(s) you love, by all means get it directly from her/him them and pay full price. But the abovementioned approach is an option if you are curious but not sure about an album. Just sayin' ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Amazon already has some used copies for $8.50.

Or you can download it for $8.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I'm really enjoying Dan's voice on this record. On 'Dustbowl Children' he really put some soul into it. It's interesting how that song starts off with just guitar and then the banjo comes out of nowhere and takes over as the backup instrument.

Blog Entries

She and the guys are going to be on Conan tonight.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Her new album puts me to sleep. Good thing, 'cause i'll already be asleep....!

Blog Entries

Alrighty then! Well, since the show runs at 11 PM EDT and repeats at 1 AM EDT, I get to see them twice. So sleep well, I'll watch it for you!

I listened and listened to her with Robert Plant but just couldn't get enthusiastic enough to buy it
    I couldnt' stop listening to it...

but I don't begrudge them the path they've taken. Music is a tough row to hoe and something that gives you security is a hard siren call to resist. That stuff sells! Steady bookings, decent money, no ridiculous travel schedules, nice places to stay.
    I have never had the impression that they made music to sell. I think they make awesome song choices that are complex in chord structure. It's not traditional bluegrass, bit it is music that really speaks to them and doesn't necessarily fit the mold of any genre.

made enough money to play whatever music he wants to. Perhaps Alison will do the same, and then we'll see what it is that she would really like to play...
    If she is sincere in her interviews and discussions - I think she really does play what she wants. I don't have a sense that she is playing to make money. I think her selections are brilliant. She grew up with more than a bluegrass background, has many influences, and does not limit herself to the genre. Nothing wrong with that.

I'ts high, and it's lonesome. I don't care what you call it. She could sing molecular biology to me, and I'll listen while wearing a goofy smile. I like Dan T too. He has a great voice that compliments hers perfectly. Nope, not traditional bluegrass, but I dig them.
    Popeye39 you rock and I agree.

Sure, her music is changing over time, and I like a lot of her old stuff. But I figure she's "paid her dues" and is entitled to branch out beyond straight bluegrass if it appeals to her musical sensibilities, as it clearly does
    EdSherry I also agree with you, well said

The band is about as tight as any band could get
    Ain't that the truth! I saw them live - in AWE. And they don't have to play fast or flashy to make precise, beautifully phrased, and crafted music. It is of the classical music genre type of quality in my acoustic string style and I absolutely love it.

Not that I am losing any sleep over this but the fact that Alison K and Robert Plant chose to get together and make music for a year is a mystery to me.
    Mystery - no, Genius - Yes

I posted a thread a few years back on the Banjo Hangout site, expressing the wish that AKUS would make an 'all-out' Bluegrass album for their fans
    I do agree with this...

CRAP I just realized that I got through all the commentary and made my own commentary - but that was only page 1. So I don't intend to read pages 2-5.... i'm over it. My point is made... I love AKUS... haha

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

I was sitting in the United Lounge in the Dulles airport back in June waiting for my flight to Dubai when who should come in and sit right across from me but Alison, Dan and Ron. She was having trouble logging on to the free WiFi so I seized the opportunity to introduce myself, shake some hands and help Alison log on to the internet. They were super nice, and headed to Europe for a three week tour. My daughter is also a big fan so they signed autographs for her and posed for a photo. Talked with Dan for a bit. Really down to earth guy. No one else seemed to know who they were. I was thrilled!
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

I don't have the impression that she has ever made musical choices to cater to fans. She and the members of the band have often said that they play music that they like. She picks songs that speak to her. I too wish she'd do more of the old fiddling but I don't think they are in it for the money. They could be doing stuff way more commercial than they are now.