Thread: Daily Beginner Rec Thread...

Default Daily Beginner Rec Thread...

Hello,

I'm completely new to the mandolin, though I have experience with other acoustics (primarily classical bass for a few years, but the last time I played was...). I've looked through the archives to direct myself, but my budget is much much lower, probably below $300. I've narrowed my choices down to some Kentuckies and a Loar, but I'd like a bit of advice from people who have perhaps owned one of these instruments personally. I'm thinking I'll order from folkmusician.com:

http://www.folkmusician.com/Kentucky...ctinfo/KM-161/
    http://www.folkmusician.com/Kentucky...ctinfo/KM-162/
    http://www.folkmusician.com/Kentucky...ctinfo/KM-254/
    http://www.folkmusician.com/The-Loar...ctinfo/LM-220/

From what I understand, all of these should be solid wood carved imports. Considering the Kentucky models, I spoke to someone that said that there is not much difference between sound/tone of the lower end ones, is it even worth the extra money between a 160 to a 250? And the Loar, what's the deal with that one? Unfortunately, there are no vendors near where I live that I might try one of these models in person, so I'll be ordering online. (The closest ones sell Epiphone and Tanglewoods, which I understand are pressboard?).

As for the use of the instrument, I probably won't get serious with it. I mean, it seems like there's a 50/50 chance that an instrument will get played or be a fancy dust collector...BUT I have hope. I'd definitely like to be able to really play on the instrument someday, other than a few chords or scales or whatnot, beyond the maryhadalittlelamb sort of stuff. Ummm, versatile musical styles? I'm interested in Blue-grass and Celtic/Irish style of playing.

Finally, have any of you ever had issues with online ordering? Fortunately, it looks like folkmusician holds up well around here and the fact that they do the complete setup before shipping is very nice, but I'm sure it's pretty nerve-wracking to have something like an instrument you've never seen/touched sent in the post!

Thanks for your time (and tolerating another on of these threads, hopefully it will be useful to other beginner-beginners...)

Oh, I live in Colorado, are there any pointers to general care of the instrument? I'm thinking I might need some kind of moisture control...

Default Re: Daily Beginner Rec Thread...

Lotsa questions! I believe the only difference between the two Kentucky "160" series models, is in the finish, so if you decide to go that route, pick the one whose looks you prefer. Solid wood and carved top are, as you state, pluses; the 160's have a solid top, but it's not described as "carved," so it may be heat-pressed into shape. The KM-254 and the The Loar (hate those two "the's") have carved solid tops. The top is the main vibrating surface, clearly, so differences in the top are more salient to the sound than differences in back and sides.

I'd think you'd do pretty well with either of the two $300+ models, the KM-254 or the LM-220. The Loar instruments get good recommendations here, so do the Kentucky low- and mid-range mandolins, and since you won't be able to try them, I'd get Robert's recommendation and go from there. Epiphone and Tanglewood mandolins aren't "pressboard," but they are plywood, at least at the lower end, and you're a cut above that with the instruments you're considering. You won't get "online ordering issues" dealing with him; folkmusician.com and the other Cafe sponsors are reliable.

You don't say where you are in Colorado, and I know from experience (two years at Ft. Carson) that it's a big state, but a trip to the Denver Folklore Center would give you a chance to try some hands-on. They carry Kentucky mandolins, as well as others. (They also have a Lloyd Loar Gibson they're asking $225,000 or so for, if you decide you have a slightly larger budget.)

And yes, do consider some form of humidification, once you get the mandolin; either a room humidifier or an in-case one, such as a Dampit, is a good idea, especially if you're on the east side of the Rockies. The Taylor Guitars Tech Sheets, though intended for guitar owners, give a lot of useful information about maintaining a suitable environment for wooden instruments.

Enjoy! If you do get to the Folklore Center, say "Hi" to Harry Tuft for me.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I've played a few examples of The Loar LM-220 and was really impressed with the playability and sound at that price point. That's saying a lot for me as well as I'm usually partial to a radius fretboard and The Loar board is flat, but the LM-220 I tried was still super comfortable to play. If you're able to bump your budget up a wee bit then another one to consider would be Eastman's "econo" model, the 305.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I made it to the DFC, it's really tucked away! It seems like you are going in the wrong direction, but a little district pops out out of nowhere. I really liked that shop. I don't think Harry was in. I tried the Loar 220 and the Kentucky 505 to compare the two makers. I liked the sound of the Loar over the Kentucky, so I think I'll go with that one.

But now that that's settled, what sort of humidifier should I get? I live in Denver so we've got hot summers and cold, dry winters. I suppose it's mostly dry here. I was considering a case humidifier, the clay ones, because they're cheap! But I'm not partial to sound hole varieties either, if that is an alternative for mandolins. I'm reading through those tech sheets, lots of nice info there! Thanks again.

I use a sponge inside a small plastic pillbox which I have put a lot of holes in. Beware to squeeze most of the water out of the sponge before putting it in. Works fine for my Gibson A9..

The most recommended case humidifier seems to be the Oasis. A little more expensive, but works well. It is generally NOT recommended to use one that goes INSIDE the instrument.

http://www.amazon.com/Oasis-OH-6-Cas...1577825&sr=8-1

ps. I'm jealous that you have a local shop that has both Kentucky and Loar mandolins in stock. Many of us would have to travel many hours to see both in the same place. Consider yourself lucky!