Name:	Jesu_110309.pdf 
Views:	2726 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	69489

Enjoy!
    ~~~~~~
    Mike

Default Re: Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

Thanks for the arrangement. I have always loved this piece. I hope to have it ready for performance at the CMSA convention in Baltimore.

This tune can be played like a jig which can be amusing in sessions..

On a related theme, the archers theme tune from radio 4 works well as a slide!

Blog Entries

Here is a very good (IMO) intermediate tab for this classic tune. Elizabeth Knuth's arrangements are always among my favorites.

Question on recommended picking pattern for this...Since (like Paul points out, it's a double jig in 6/8), do most of you folks pick DUD DUD (to get the accents on the first & fourth notes), or do you pick it DUDUDU?

I was taught to play it DUDUDU with a focus on getting an accent on the fourth note even though it's an up-stroke, but I'm not sure now that this is the best approach. Opinions?
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Hi Ed,
    For what its worth, I think that playing it DUDDUD would make it sound too much like a jig (which obviously it isn't), unless you specifically wanted it to for comic effect in an irish session! (which may not be wise).

Maybe DDUDDU would work better although some people pick jigs like that, so perhaps DUDUDU is best after all, I may give DDUDDU a try though..

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

The arrangement that I first learned it from was written for two mandolins (maybe here on the Cafe?), with no harmony on the lead line, just like the first half of Ed G's tab above. I learned it using straight alternating DUDUDU and it worked really well. Until...

I went back and tried to add some harmony notes based on the 2nd mandolin's line, and realized that most of that harmony played only on the first and third of each triplet, sort of a "loping" jump from the end of each group to the start of the next: dum...da-dum...da-dum...da. My translation: most emphasis on note 1, least emphasis on note 2, middle emphasis on note 3.

The 2nd triplet's UDU didn't lend itself AT ALL to that sound, and I realized that DUD DUD would have given better emphasis to the harmony notes. I tried to change my picking purely from memory, got highly disjointed, and failed! It's been on my list of things to go back and learn to play properly.

So my personal and far-from-expert opinion is that DUD DUD is the way to go. YMMV!

Thanks folks; these more integrated (lead + harmony) tabs will help a lot!
    Last edited by EdHanrahan; Mar-11-2011 at 2:34pm.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Thanks for posting this Michael. Great stuff and I've been enjoying the other scores you posted as well.

Also +1 on Ed H. suggestion to go with the DUD DUD pick pattern. It really helps emphasize the proper strong beat and lends itself much better for harmonization.

I've played this on classical guitar for almost 30 years. Can pretty much play it without thinking. Don't want to mess that up!

Howdy, Folks -

Glad some people like it. I've been playing this in one form or another for many years. Recently, an acquaintance asked for a chart, so here we are. And thus "today's version".

I omitted the triplet markings because they seemed obvious and made for a whole lot of "3"s. For a while I had it in 9/8 but then there were a whole lot of dotted quarter notes. Decisions, decisions...

With a 9/8 feel it's actually a slip jig. I play it about quarter note = 72bpm. I'd hate to try it at dance speed. I generally pick it either DUD or DDU depending on where the string crossings are. Certainly down on the chords, after that I'm flexible.

Most of this arrangement also works well on the violin. It also plays nicely without the chords. Less challenging, less pretty. Decisions, decisions...

Best to all.
    ~~~~~~
    Mike

Mike! I love playing this song. I can't wait to try out your arrangement. One question... What's with all the dot's on the page and where does it say what string to fret?

Michael Reichenbach

Just made my own arrangement of this tune:

and second video with another mandolin:

Free sheet music will be available soon!
    Last edited by mandoisland; Mar-31-2015 at 11:36am.
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mandoisland For This Useful Post: