Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strings For Electric Mandolin

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Strings For Electric Mandolin

So I don't bury the lead under a bunch of anecdotal meandering - I need advice about getting new strings for my MandoBird IV.

OK. Now, then ... Strings And Beyond just now announced a special on Ernie Ball strings. How fortuitious, I thought. I ran into a problem two weeks ago, after having had none in the three years or so since I bought two MandoBirds and a MandoCaster. I was at a gig, just finished setting up, and opened my case to find a broken E string on the MandoBird. I played the first set with the acoustic, which sounded good, even rocking, through the effects and wah-wah, though of course I didn't have the string-bending capabilities of the single-string MandoBird. So I ran home during the first break to get the second MandoBird - only to find, to my astonishment and horror, it was in the same condition. So I pressed the MandoCaster into service, played the gig, and I have since swapped that E string to the MandoBird, though it is pretty dead.

So it seems obvious it is time to get new strings. Back to that fortuitious offer from S&B - free shipping on Ernie Ball strings, including many flavors of Slinky - but they are just guitar strings. I wonder whether there is a difference - other than length - though I must admit, finding an exact match for gauges looks to be unlikely. The best matches I have found to the J74 gauges (11 - 15 - 26 - 40) are:

Power Slinky 11-14-18-28-38-48
    Beefy Slinky 11-15-22p-30-42-54

Not really that close. I wish I knew what I have on my instrument, because I really like them. I get an insane three-fret bend up the neck, and whatever I get, I want them to have that flexibility. I wouldn't mind beefing up the lower strings, or whatever the proper term is, to get them to project the same as the upper strings. So if anyone has any ideas about what to get, where to get them, and whether I can just put the balls from the old strings onto the J-74s (wouldn't that be nice - I already have those), I would greatly appreciate it. And in general, I am curious to learn what people useon their electrics and why.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

2. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Srings For Electric Mandolin

Hi JB; I've only had my JBovier for a couple of weeks, so I'm even less of an expert than usual...
    But, it came with the normal nickel from emando.com, and I really like them.
    The gauge is spot-on what you're looking for, and they are $7 for a set of 8 (so for two sets), which seems pretty good.
    Hope this helps.
    -Ed
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Default Re: Strings For Electric Mandolin

D'oh! I suppose I could have thought of that - if only my brain worked ... and if I only had a brain. I still would like to know how gauge variations affect performance, in terms of relative volume and flexibility, whether bronze or nickel is preferable for the lower strings, and so on.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

On these questions I can be no help...The sum total of my knowledge regarding electric mandolin strings can be found in the above post.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

JB--

Complete hack here, but I do love wailing on the Mandobird-4...

My approach was to go to the Jazzmando site and copy the gauges off their electric set. I then went out and bought a set of EB slinky in both .9 and .10 and matched them as closely as possible, opting for slightly heavier on G and D when I couldn't match exactly. At the time I needed the strings and couldn't wait for shipping. I also opted for .10 on the E because the bird doesn't have a truss rod, though that tension concern probably isn't warranted. The Jazzmando set, last time I checked, was a little more expensive than my approach with the slinkies factoring in shipping, but you do get 2 sets (8 strings) with each pack and don't have random loose guitar strings lying around, so at some point I'll probably just buy their set. But, I've been quite happy with my mixed guitar string sets, and the slinkies are readily available. Excellent tone, easy bends, etc. SO, buy a couple packs each of the EB sets you mentioned above, and try both the lighter and heavier choices on your G and D strings and order the ones you like best in discounted bulk. Or just get Ted's set (I think Martin's set at emando is the same set...either way...).

I don't think J74s would work well on an instrument with magnetic pickups, though again I'm very much an amateur.

EDIT: Just saw the price Ed posted above...that may well be the easiest way to go!!
    Chuck

7. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

even my small town has singles of electric guitar strings, in a drawer,
    break the balls out if you need to, for loop end tailpieces, and you are all set.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

ok...i do believe both those mandos use ball end strings, yes? then you're in luck as far as using gtr strings go. absolutely no difference other than length (what she said). i do believe they sell Ernie Ball and D'Addario single strings on that site. so just choose whatever ya want to try.

you're gonna wanna go with w stainless steel or nickel w those magnetic pickups as bronze/brass/etc doesn't have the same magnetic qualities and so won't produce as much volume.

i'm a big fan of nickel myself...not as loud acoustically (maybe slighty so amplified too...but not convinced) but much warmer tone, more supple smoother feel (imo) and they are kinder (softer) to your frets.

as far as gauges go...the general rule is that a thicker gauge will provide better low end and more volume (up to a point).
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!

If you want a three-fret bend you should go for a very light set ... the ultralights I sell are .034/.022/.013/.009 ...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

11. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

...and on my old KAY ac/el w magnetic lipstick tube pickup, i remember trying and liking D'Addario's Nickel set and lemme check my wall of string labels....

...ah, what a great reference source that is! ok i see i have a label from a set of D'Aquisto M-24 Stainless that i also used and liked.

these days i run TI Starks on that old gal and just love 'em.
    just groove, baby!

TIs on a Kay ... sort of like custom rims on a Yugo, but who am I to judge? 'Tis a free country.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by i-vibe View Post
    ...snip...
    ...i remember trying and liking D'Addario's Nickel set and lemme check my wall of string labels....
    Now there's a phrase that should definitely be posted to our You might be a Mandolin picker ....... thread!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

"TIs on a Kay ... sort of like custom rims on a Yugo, but who am I to judge? 'Tis a free country."

scoff if ya must....but this is one instrument i wouldn't trade.....for TWO Yugo's.

spot on intonation...big well seated frets.....great barking elec tone w that p/u and classic wacked out looks. who could ask for more!!!
    just groove, baby!

I know a couple of Kay acoustics that are seriously nice instruments.

If I ever find a Kay electric in all-original condition with the full-monty headstock shield and all the bling, that plays in tune, sounds decent, and can be had for a couple of Benjamins ... I'd be sorely tempted. Still don't know if I'd put TIs on it. Maybe domestic flatwounds.

"I know a couple of Kay acoustics that are seriously nice instruments.

If I ever find a Kay electric in all-original condition with the full-monty headstock shield and all the bling, that plays in tune, sounds decent, and can be had for a couple of Benjamins ... I'd be sorely tempted. Still don't know if I'd put TIs on it. Maybe domestic flatwounds. "

well, i got lucky w this one. it belonged to the deceased dad of a co-worker/buddy. she knew i played and wanted it outta her closet and into the hands of someone that would play it. she wanted to give it to me...and i wanted to pay her something.....so we settled on $25 for it. best $25 i ever spent.

sadly no headstock logo so i ended up getting one of those cheapie faux chrome (actually plastic) repros and it looks alright. that big honking headstock needed SOMETHING up there.

i've got a set of the new D'add FW's in the drawer that i might try on it after these TI's give up the ghost. hard to imagine they'll get my ankles as hard.

...but trust me if you're ever lucky enough to find one that's as good a player .....you'll want to try a set of TI's on it!
    just groove, baby!

Blog Entries

I tell you, I wish I knew what I have on there. I am leaning toward the Beefy Slinky as the 11 and 15 match and the 30 and 42 would be a slight increase in diameter and thus volume, as i-vibe suggests. But I see you offer customized sets, Martin, so I could put together a set that is light on the top and heavy on the bottom (yeah yeah, not unlike my old girlfriend). I should really set up the PA and my gear and see how much I can tweak everything to get an even response from all the strings. It just seemed that I wasn't getting as much kick from the lower strings last night.

19. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Bumping to ask for opinions regarding Stainless Steel vs. Nickel Plated Steel vs. Pure Nickel.
    Which do you prefer and why?
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Pure nickel is not going to be any more magnetically visible than bronze., so scratch that, i'd say,
    there are alloys containing nickel and Iron , i tend to just get Electric guitar strings in suitable
    diameters, they are metallurgically like that, rather than wound with plated steel.

Stainless steel wound?, don't know , locally, stainless electric guitar strings are not stocked.

get some , report back..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Pure nickel is not going to be any more magnetically visible than bronze., so scratch that, ...snip...
    They seem to sound halfway decent on Eric Johnson's recordings.

I'm thinking of trying the pure nickels on my electrics because I've read they are warmer and darker sounding and easier on the fingers (and frets).
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    ...snip...
    I'm thinking of trying the pure nickels on my electrics because I've read they are warmer and darker sounding and easier on the fingers (and frets).
    Just found this interesting article on pure nickel vs. nickel-plated steel. Looks like an interesting contrast...I think I'll try some pure nickels on my Tele first (the Telecaster guinea pig ) & report back.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Personal favourites......D`Addario nickel electric guitar strings - 010, 014, 024, 036.
    Never tried stainless for mandolin but primarily, I play bass guitar and nowadays always use stainless for the brightness and clarity (I like to know what note I`m playing rather than hearing a muffled rumbling thud sort of noise :-) .....so I suppose that would also apply to mandolin wound strings.

25. The following members say thank you to Soundfarmer Pete for this post:

Now I'm wondering if I should get some of those pure nickel strings. Who makes them?

Blog Entries

Hi Jerry; It looks like most of the major string manufacturers are now again making pure nickel strings. Here are the one's I seen recommended on various guitar forums:
    GHS Nickel Rockers
    GHS Burnished Nickel
    Fender Pure Nickel
    Also, while searching the web I found this set that looks very interesting to me:
    Dean Markley 'Jimi Hendrix Signature' Pure Nickel strings
    I don't yet know about buying singles of these to create a set for e-mando (that's the next thing I'll be researching), but my plan is to probably start with the GHS Nickel Rockers on my guitar and see how they sound/feel.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

I must not have gotten enough sleep last night... I read that as 'Dean Martian' Jimi Hendrix Signature pure nickel strings....

So I spent the next minute and a half to 3 minutes pondering two things.. Dean Martian played a Mandolin? and Jimi Hendrix was part of the later Rat Pack???

Think I will lay down for a bit...
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Martian , being a guy from 'the red planet'?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Fat fingered that one didn't I? LOL
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.