Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson mandolin discussion with David Harvey - AND a 34 Fern

Default Gibson mandolin discussion with David Harvey - AND a 34 Fern

On Saturday at Itchn to Pick in Louisville ....had a chance to listen to Dave Harvey play 90446 a 34 Fern and also have Dave speak to the present state of mandolin production at Gibson. He is always a wealth of knowledge and his passion for the instrument and Gibson always shows through.....Hope all of you enjoy. The loud voice at the beginning does go away. David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx_aROORpoA

If I have placed this topic in the wrong slot, please let me know.....

Default Re: Gibson mandolin discussion with David Harvey - AND a 34 Fern

There's probably more real information here than we've seen in a few years out of Gibson. Thanks for posting this.

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

What is that gorgeous electric Gibson behind him?
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Blog Entries

Yes thanks that was really interesting. They have 6 -12 mandolins on the floor at anyone time. If you assume that, on average, it takes 4 work weeks (5 days per week) to complete one mandolin (wood to strung), and that the factory averages 44 weeks of work (i.e., periods or full shop staffing -- considering vacations and holidays etc) -- making approximately 11 build cycles per year. Therefore, we could ball park Gibson mandolin production at 70 - 135 units per year?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Forget the actual Mandolin - what a great player David Harvey is !!!. Everytime is watch him play,it's a sheer delight. Every now & again we get a post regarding having 'stubby fingers' - well it's not stopped Mr Harvey.The Mandolin was ok too,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Interesting how we all find something different and interesting in this post.....David's playing.....the production numbers of Gibson....the electric mandolin.etc etc
    What I find interesting is that there sits a 34 F5 with what is Loar wood in it.....not the plain jane wood that you see in a lot (the lot is a small number made) of them.....that looks like Loar wood to me and apparently so it does to David along with his comment of about the craftsmanship.....Gibson in the Depression put out a really interesing mix of instruments......floor sweepings......everything to make the max dollar for the min cost, to survive....just to survive.

I'd like to hear the big three weigh in on this one......Messers Wolfe, Isenhour and Waltham. This could get interesting reading their wealth of knowledge about the period

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post
    Interesting how we all find something different and interesting in this post.....David's playing.....the production numbers of Gibson....the electric mandolin.etc etc
    What I find interesting is that there sits a 34 F5 with what is Loar wood in it.....not the plain jane wood that you see in a lot (the lot is a small number made) of them.....that looks like Loar wood to me and apparently so it does to David along with his comment of about the craftsmanship.....Gibson in the Depression put out a really interesing mix of instruments......floor sweepings......everything to make the max dollar for the min cost, to survive....just to survive.
    Yes I must say I might have at least acknowledged the fantastic playing ability of Dave Harvey -- though it was not new to me. I saw him in concert a couple of times once when with the Clair Lynch band and once with his group Wild and Blue. He is as good as they come --IMO.

Also the mandolin WAS pretty wonderful -- I've never heard the term "Loar wood" before -- wonder how one could tell? Wouldn't Gibson have had access the the same wood suppliers after Lloyd Loar as before?

But guess the main point is that the same craftsmen that made the first F-5's may have produced more than could be sold. The thought that the mandolin sat around for 10 - 12 years in the factory inventory is pretty interesting.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I would imagine that David is not new to you in that he is originally a "home boy" to your area. I remember seeing him with Larry Sparks at Green Acres in the early 80's. He was playing his F5M and doubling on fiddle. I was amazed at how fast he could play Katie Hill and switch back and forth on fiddle and mandolin and not miss a beat. Quite a player with a deep bluegrass history with his father being a top notch picker also.

What I mean by "Loar Wood" is that many Loars have a really distinctive pattern in the back and sides and when sunbursted it really takes on an almost magical glow about it.

Wild & Blue was the bomb. If you can find their very first recording on the Vetco label called Too Blue To Cry, you will hear some very great playing by David on mando, fiddle and guitar. They re-do the instrumental Cruisin' Timber, which was first recorded on Sparks' Silver Reflections (with David on mandolin). The W&B version has this terrific intro and outro that are just perfect. The tunes on TBTC are a good mix of countrified grass and swing, and the recording is filled with little flurries of mando greatness. Features John Wheat on 5-string, along with Jan and Jill on vocals, guitar, bass.

David is an incredible mandolin player, and in my opinion, the most well rounded player of all genre's I've had the opportunity to hear. He has great technique and has some incredible players from his dad to Jethro himself to learn from. However, all the teaching in the world can only take one so far. The rest is determination and talent. David is certainly not short on either of those. I always love to hear him play, especially some of the non traditional bluegrass stuff and some of the old Jethro type stuff and swing. I can hear a lot of great bluegrass picking, but some of the other genre's he is equally incredible with and I really enjoy it!

I have a somewhat humorous Dave Harvey story that took place about 18 years ago. David had just moved to Nashville and was working with us at Charlie's shop. He lived just a block away from us. He and his wonderful wife came over for supper one evening and we were going to eat and then pick. My youngest son, CD, had just really begun his playing venture. He could play pretty well for his age and the amount of time he had played, but was certainly not on David's level. As we picked around the circle it became his turn to take a break. He just went at it like a madman. He played things he had never played before, and did a really great job for his knowledge and skill level at that time. When he finished, David complimented him on how well he did and how surprised he was at his skill and how he was not the least bit nervous about his playing in front of David.

CD smiled, and only like a 13 year old boy can do, looked at David and said, "I've been waiting to take you on for a long time!". I thought David would just die laughing. It was a great moment with a good friend and my son. We laughed until we had tears running down our face. CD even realized how absurd it sounded and laughed with us.

CD is not 31 and is a great guitar and mandolin player in his own right. His exposure to David over the years and being around him and other great mandolin and guitar players helped him hone his talents as well. Thank you David for that and many other memorable moments!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I have met a lot of great bluegrass players in my time that come from or have played in bands from this area where I live, DC, northern Va and suburban Md. but I still envy a lot of you that live or work in and around Nashville and get to meet and pick with so many of the greats...I have never met Dave Harvey but he sounds like the kind of fellow that I could really spend a lot of time around and learn a lot from, those people are out there but they seem to be getting harder to find in this day and age...We are living at a much faster pace then say 25 years ago and people seem to be not as inclined to share knowledge with us laymen....Maybe I just have to get out more but family comes first...Great post and thanks for sharing it.....

Great post! That's the second 34 Fern I've seen on You Tube the last couple of weeks, and they both sound great. How many were actually made that year, and how many are still left? Impossible question, maybe.

Before I can comment on these '34 Ferns I would need more information. What is the FON on the one Harvey is playing?. A 90446 number is closer to being a 1931 then a 1934. Same goes for the other one youtube. He calls it a '34 but gives no serial no.
    The years from '25 to '34 are tricky to date. After '35 it gets a bit easier but any of these years you need to look at the FON too along with the serial no. The FON can help put it with other known batches.

Blog Entries

He is always a wealth of knowledge and his passion for the instrument and Gibson always shows through.
    So true! He'll be back at Kaufman mandolin camp this June. His classes are informative and helpful, and he's as nice a fellow as you could hope to meet. But I most eagerly anticipate the feeling of stunned delight I get from his playing.

Gibson is lucky to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. Carlson View Post
    What is that gorgeous electric Gibson behind him?
    I believe the electric mandolin is a recent Gibson model F5G-EM. This one appears to be a four string model; however, The Mandolin Store has sold one or two eight string models. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Wild & Blue was the bomb. If you can find their very first recording on the Vetco label called Too Blue To Cry, you will hear some very great playing by David on mando, fiddle and guitar. They re-do the instrumental Cruisin' Timber, which was first recorded on Sparks' Silver Reflections (with David on mandolin). The W&B version has this terrific intro and outro that are just perfect. The tunes on TBTC are a good mix of countrified grass and swing, and the recording is filled with little flurries of mando greatness. Features John Wheat on 5-string, along with Jan and Jill on vocals, guitar, bass.
    Yep, "Too Blue To Cry". I'm sitting here looking at it right now. Everything Alan said, especially "Cruisin' Timber", a nice minor key tune with interesting chords in the B part that would be a good one to pull out at a jam. Something a bit different but a pretty easy melody to get on to. Now all I have to do is learn to play it like Dave.

I spend some time with him up at the BC Bluegrass Workshop, in the early years before it moved to Sorrento. I think W & B were there three years in a row as instructors. I had a radio show, so I actually had some of these really obscure (around here) records like TBTC on Vetco. I remember he and Jan were sitting in the front row at the student concert and, just before our group started, I looked around the stage and said "boys, we've got to be at our best tonight. I think there's some talent scouts from Vetco records in the crowd." Just like Joe described, Dave lost it and turned into a puddle.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Before I can comment on these '34 Ferns I would need more information. What is the FON on the one Harvey is playing?. A 90446 number is closer to being a 1931 then a 1934. Same goes for the other one youtube. He calls it a '34 but gives no serial no.
    The years from '25 to '34 are tricky to date. After '35 it gets a bit easier but any of these years you need to look at the FON too along with the serial no. The FON can help put it with other known batches.
    On October 2, 1936 this mandolin was shipped by Gibson to Jenkins Music in Tulsa Oklahoma.....cost of shipping was $4.40 ........There does not appear to be a FON, looking through the other F hole does not show any number.

David

I now need to apologize to everyone who has watched the video of Dave playing the Fern and presenting information about the present state of Gibson mandolins.

The video has been removed........

I will now go back to my world of banjos ..........at least I know Gibson is NOT building banjos. So they don't really care if they sell any banjos......

David

Why was the video removed?

Registered User OlderThanWillie's Avatar

Yes, why was the video removed?
    OTW

Here's another excellent DH video:

Jeff

From BernieD. - "He is as good as they come --IMO.". I'll second that one Bernie,the guy's terrific.I've seen a few YouTube clips of his playing & he's amazingly fluent & accurate in his picking,something i try to achieve in my own playing.
    Big Joe - Herschel Sizemore & now David Harvey ! - do you take lodgers at your home,only for 5 or 6 years or so though,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Also wondered why the video is removed. I only managed to watch the beginning and was blown away by Mr. Harvey's playing. Was really looking forward to watching the rest of the interview tonight.

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

davepicks5 last post, #19, suggests to me that someone requested he remove it.