Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calton's new Carbon Case for Mandolin

Default Re: Calton's new Carbon Case for Mandolin

Martin - Personally,i'd wrap as much bubble wrap (the small bubble type) around the headstock to stop it from moving up/down or sideways.The necks & headstocks of our instruments (especially Banjos) are the most vulnerable parts & need to be as restrained as much as can be to prevent 'whiplash' type damage,as Ryk above said,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Firm. Whatever you pack beneath the headstock should offer some resistence as the neck is pushed down into the cradle. Then whatever you pack over the headstock should offer the same sort of support. There should be some resistance as you close the case.
    http://archtop.com/ac_shipping.html offers great advice relative to shipping an instrument, more than i do for air travel but you'll get the idea.
    http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician.../packing1.html is Frank Ford's take on the same process.
    I remove all the extra stuff we keep in our pick pockets. The metal shows up on scanners and tuners are just an electrical device that needs to be explained. I don't want them to want to open the case. That stuff all goes in my briefcase.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Sweet! Thanks for the info.
    Ellis F5 Deluxe #130
    Member of the Bluegrass Regulators
    http://dancrary.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    Extra socks and underwear. I'm not kidding. It's gonna fly with you ... and if they lose your luggage you at least have a change.

Ryk
    But what do you do for the trip home? When I travel I usually don't stop or have time to waste at a laundry. Remind me not to borrow your mandolin.

Oh Barney ...
    I take the time because i take the tips on traveling provided by Rick Steves. Plus i usually stay with family or friends.
    Too ... you may want to check out this thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ch-my-mandolin!

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Thanks for the replies, folks.

What the... Didn't they listen to customer feed-back? That is a deal killer, for me.
    Wasn't the issue less about total room and more about proximity to the metal attachment of the feet being right next to the headstock scroll?

Mark,
    You're exactly right.

From Mark - "....proximity to the metal attachment of the feet being right next to the headstock scroll?" . The argument was that if there was more room around the headstock scroll,then the scroll & metal attachment wouldn't be close to one another,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

From Ivan- "....then the scroll & metal attachment wouldn't be close to one another" . The answer is Calton has relocated the foot and this is no longer an issue.

That is fine for that immediate issue, I just would have liked to have seen more clearance provided around the headstock.

Exactly right Alan. I'd go for 2" clearance around the headstock,as well as a good neck restraint. Calton would very likely have to re-tool for such a modified case,but it would gain more acceptance than the current 'iffy' one (IMHO),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I disagree in the strongest possible terms. My (UK made) Calton has nothing 'iffy' about it. I've used it for over ten years - aeroplanes, vans and whatnot. The worst impact was when I was wearing it on my back when I had a motorcycle crash. The mandolin wasn't even out of tune. If it can handle that sort of impact, then it's capable of handling anything the airlines can do to it.

If you don't need huge amounts of protection, then a lighter, less expensive case might be the best option for you. But if you want it to stop bullets, then the Calton's the one.

Trevor,

re: UK-made Calton

Do you carry an F-5 in it?
    Does the headstock big curl touch the side of the case when seated?

i'm pretty sure they're the same molds, uk/usa. The new Calton's i own have been around the world (half-way and back), shipped regular post in nothing more than a box around the case. One of them has an isolating top and bottom pillow for the peghead ... the newest got shipped the same way in the Calton Carbon case, same place of origin .. both came through like champs.
    Last edited by mtucker; Mar-09-2011 at 12:18pm.

Trevor,

That doesn't sound at all like the Calton I read so much about on the Cafe. Haven't you heard about the hundreds of innocent mandolins that have been maimed by these dreaded cases? God help you if it's a carbon fiber model as well...no impact protection and delamination issues according to some materials engineering experts.

Who in their right mind would put a valuable instrument in one of these mandolin killers?

There are basically three Calton cases: Those made in the UK where they started. Those made in Calgary Canada by Al & Trudy Williams and those now being made in the maritimes of Canada.

I have no experience with Calton UK.

There are four Calton Guitar cases and one mandolin case currently in our home. There are an additional two that were sold with the instruments for which they were made.

The mandolin case was my first experience with the new Canadian Calton. Were it not for the fact that the guitar case i needed was for an 18" archtop and that nobody but Calton provided that case i would never have given them my business. (With hindsight i should have ordered it from the UK.)

The cases perform as needed ... WHEN you finally get them. The mandolin case is generic ... even though it was orderd for a custom shape and drawings were sent. Neither the mandolin case nor the guitar case came with the ordered wedges for the headstock. (Which is why i suggest extra socks and underwear to protect headstocks.)
    During the time that the last two cases were in line for production and being made: I never experienced the courtesy of a returned phone call. I never experienced the courtesy of a returned email. And when i was able to speak with someone at Calton Canada i was lied to. The dealer through whom these cases were ordered had the same experience as i.

If you are able to find a ready made case from a dealer that suits your need ... you are in business. If you are in need of a custom case ... you are in for disappointment. Once again ... let me reiterate ... i am addressing the current manifestation of Calton of Canada. I have no experience with Calton UK and LONG for the days when Al & Trudy owned and ran Calton of Canada.

Ryk

Thank you for your experiential recounting. Positive and negative tales are all good, snide and sarcastic remarks notwithstanding (not yours, Ryk).

I own a Calton case, customized to my specs and and on my dime. Lawrence Smart was my 'dealer' for this many years ago. It is the large rectangle, the interior designed for a single F-5 mandolin. I asked for several mods and received them all (Al and Trudy-era). I have seen this same case exterior made for [2 mandolins and for 1 mandolin and 1 fiddle]. Mine is a great case, all the way around.

I have had shipped to me, and have myself shipped F-5 mandolins in the more-common tear-drop Calton, always carefully padding the h/s area. Fortunately, no mishaps have happened (to me). I have heard about and seen first-hand too many broken headstocks that were shipped in Calton cases. Whether it was due to case manhandling (could and does occur with cases other than Calton) or poor headstock case design, I don't know. But seems there are more stories along these lines with Calton cases than with others.

The moving of a rivet to minimize headstock damage was a good/necessary alteration that should have been done long before it actually was. What still needs fixing is the width/size of the headstock well. I am not the only one who says this.

The current customer service model sounds creaky. Glad I don't need to contact them.

If you are able to find a ready made case from a dealer that suits your need ... you are in business. If you are in need of a custom case ... you are in for disappointment Ryk
    If you're flying solo on your own, you are probably correct...but if you order through a dealer (caveat emptor) who makes a steady diet of them and multiple orders at one time .. i would say your chances are excellent. I know for a fact that i'm not the only one who has successfully custom ordered a Calton and rec'd exactly what i asked for, delivered on time. Did you have a bad experience?

If you are able to find a ready made case from a dealer that suits your need ... you are in business. If you are in need of a custom case ... you are in for disappointment. Once again ... let me reiterate ... i am addressing the current manifestation of Calton of Canada. I have no experience with Calton UK and LONG for the days when Al & Trudy owned and ran Calton of Canada.

Ryk
    That is the only reason I got one.... I was not willing to try to order one with the new state of business they have going on there. Gruhn had one that fit my mando and I ordered it immediately.
    Ellis F5 Deluxe #130

okay so... I just got my case in the mail, and I can't say I'm the happiest guy in the world.

First of all, right next to the name plate there is about square cm chip in the white exterior... doesn't sound like a big deal, but you can see the green fiberglass or whatever underneath the hollow part and it's really noticeable once you see it once. And it's not exactly a spot where you could cover with a sticker. Kind of annoying.

Also, even though it's a new case and has the metal attachments for a strap, they didn't include a strap with it. Grrr.

As far as the case, on the body not all of the curves and points are touching the sides in every place, but the body can't move at all in there so I suppose that's good? I'm a little concerned about the headstock.. I was under the impression that the headstock needs room around it on the sides but the curl on each side is touching the side of the case.... I could easily see setting it down a little too hard and breaking off the scroll, but I may be wrong.

haha.. I tried using whiteout to make the hole not as noticeable but it made it look even worse. hmm...
    Ellis F5 Deluxe #130

Well, if that don't beat all. First off, sorry that happened to you as the customer.

I'd return it.

Get a Pegasus. I guess it was a used Calton, but even then it seems kind of cheap that Gruhn's didn't at least didn't throw in a strap. I've had a Calton for 15 years with no problems at all during lots of air travel over the years but much prefer the Peg I got for my new mandolin. I'd send it back and go for the extra headstock protection and excellent design of the Pegasus.
    http://www.pegasus-cases.com/index.html
    Last edited by Mike Bunting; Mar-09-2011 at 6:27pm.

I mean, as long as the mandolin is protected I'm fine with it. I'm planning on getting a colorado case cover / backpack so the look isn't a huge deal, as well as the strap. I just thought it was kinda a bummer.

Who knows, maybe it's a good thing that's touching (barely) on both sides? I should also note that the very top point (in the middle) is touching the bottom padding, so maybe the 3 point touch is a good thing? Either way whenever I fly I will make sure I bubble wrap and add padding... I would just hate to see a scroll snap off.
    Ellis F5 Deluxe #130

Martin ...
    If Gruhn doesn't ship you a case strap PM me with your address and i'll send you one from my "stock". I don't use them on the guitars ... but i've found it very handy form the mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    Either way whenever I fly I will make sure I bubble wrap and add padding...
    Is your mando traveling in the belly of an M1 Abrams tank or will it be onboard with you? If the latter, sounds like severe overkill to me.